Do you use "Hey Siri" on your iPhone 7 Plus?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I've had "Hey Siri" turned on since it became available but in light of recent news about government/hacker monitoring through smart televisions and other devices I'm beginning to second guess my decision. I generally trust that Apple is looking out for me but no system is 100% safe against intrusion.

Do you have "Hey Siri" activated on your iPhone? Have you thought about shutting it off? If you already have it turned off, why?

I'm interested in everyone's opinion!

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't mind Hey Siri. What are they going to hear from me? All of my transactions are typically in Russian so they wouldn't understand any of it! ;)

But seriously -- no worries here. Nothing shady to hide.... and I think if they can get into my phone anyway, they'll have browser history, etc., too. Plus they can probably hear through my windows with the right mic as well, so it's a slippery slope towards a tin foil hat!

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I use it every now and again to set a timer for something...like when I'm cooking and my hands are still dirty or whatever.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I have mine activated on both devices. Siri & I don't get along too well on my 6s Plus but the male British Siri on my 7 plus is quite delightful There's nothing the government will hear from my end anyway. Plus I feel if they were surveilling me, they probably have other means to do so. With all this technology in place, I feel Siri is the least of our worries.

Derren Woods

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I would use it on my 7 plus but it never works properly, it takes ages to set it up and then it never responds to hey Siri, I don't think it likes my London accent

SydAussie

May 28, 2016
Visit site
Do you use "Hey Siri" on your iPhone 7 Plus?

I've always had it off because I'm uneasy with the idea of my phone constantly listening for "Hey Siri".

Not that I have anything to hide, it's just a matter of principles, for me.

Brian W1

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
I use it a lot! Love it! When driving I will simply say hey Siri play (whatever song) and bam it's playing in my car! Or, hey Siri text so and so, etc. There are times I have to tell her to change the text, but for the most part, I'm very happy with it.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I like Siri. Easy to have her add to my calendar and let me know the weather. I can laugh by asking her silly questions . Ask her what she thinks about Cortana. It will make you laugh.

Truman82

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Yea I do but it is annoying to ask it to identify music. When I say " hey Siri" and it opens to listen what I say next. It thinks the music in background is my speech and says that it can't understand my request.

Truman82

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
And sometimes when watching some YouTube videos, the Siri interprets that voice as "Hey Siri" and it activates in middle of video.

tikchowdhurry

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Yea I do but it is annoying to ask it to identify music. When I say " hey Siri" and it opens to listen what I say next. It thinks the music in background is my speech and says that it can't understand my request.

not sure if you're pausing like i used to but i learned its best not to. instead of saying hey Siri and waiting to hear that ding, indicating it's ready for your command, before you speak, what I learned to do was just say hey siri and the command in one complete sentence with no pause and it works every time. like 'hey siri read messages'. if you say hey Siri and pause and wait for that ding before speaking, it seems to guarantee that the background noise will corrupt the voice recognition; however with the same background noise if you just say hey Siri and the command in one sentence with no pause it seems to disregard background noise. this also works flawlessly when a Bluetooth headset is connected to the phone, like my jawbone era. when I say hey Siri and my command I hear the ding in my headset but it just goes straight into responding to my command. you might know this but i thought i'd throw it out there.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Mine always pauses, but I tend to use it mostly in the car with bluetooth.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen