AppleCare+ eligibility extended

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I didn't see anything on iMore about this, but maybe I just missed it. You can now purchase AppleCare+ up to one year after purchasing your iPhone. That is great for those that missed that initial 60 day window. Now it's a full year.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/17/14963990/apple-iphone-applecare-insurance-extended-one-year

That's great news to a good deal of people, I suppose, but I wonder how many more will *attempt* to buy Care+ after they've damaged their iPhones?

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible to extend Care before it ends? Bought a stainless steel series one Watch on Tuesday and it is covered until June. I'd like to extend that for a year or so.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
That's great news to a good deal of people, I suppose, but I wonder how many more will *attempt* to buy Care+ after they've damaged their iPhones?

I am sure you will have people who don't read the details or those that are always trying to get something for free or at least less than everyone else. They shouldn't get away with it though since every phone has to be inspected before AppleCare+ is approved. I am not sure how that works online, but I think they run some sort of test on your phone remotely. I would think you would get more of those people trying to do that online than in person at the Apple Store.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I am sure you will have people who don't read the details or those that are always trying to get something for free or at least less than everyone else. They shouldn't get away with it though since every phone has to be inspected before AppleCare+ is approved. I am not sure how that works online, but I think they run some sort of test on your phone remotely. I would think you would get more of those people trying to do that online than in person at the Apple Store.

Apple will definitely run a remote diagnostic test on the device. What all it entails, I do not know.

rdstryr

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I called and asked about this for my nephew, bought his 7+ but didn't buy AC, had a close call then wanted it after all lol. Because we live near an Apple store, he has to take it in in order for them to inspect it.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

Pretty sure, as is the case currently, you have to take your device to the store if you want to purchase AppleCare+ outside of the return period. Not positive but I recall having to take my device in when i went to purchase it.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Pretty sure, as is the case currently, you have to take your device to the store if you want to purchase AppleCare+ outside of the return period. Not positive but I recall having to take my device in when i went to purchase it.

I've added AppleCare+ outside of the return period over the phone. They run the remote test.