Is it true that the Matte Black Iphone 7 plus is prone to paint chippings and early wear?

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
F*** it... not taking any chances. Was still within return window... so exchanged the matte for jet black... beautiful!

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
F*** it... not taking any chances. Was still within return window... so exchanged the matte for jet black... beautiful!

I've owned both colors. Matte black, very very very unlikely to chip. Jet black, very likely to scratch. Even with a case.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I've owned both colors. Matte black, very very very unlikely to chip. Jet black, very likely to scratch. Even with a case.

My thoughts exactly. I have never heard about the matte black being particularly susceptible to chipping under normal use. Case and point: I've had mine since launch. It has zero scratches and I rarely use a case. There are articles and discussions all over the place about the jet back scratching. Apple's own web site even warns users about micro abrasions on jet black iPhones.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Regardless I still prefer the jet black finish after having both. I love the finish. Similar to my black apple watch

Tarah Sorber

Trusted Member
Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Regardless I still prefer the jet black finish after having both. I love the finish. Similar to my black apple watch

I have a matte and a jet black. My matte is 5 months old and has very slight marks on antenna lines from switching cases. Barely noticeable and looks brand new.
My jet black is a week old and has micro scratches all over the lower part of it from me changing cases and one longer scratch in the middle that I can see at certain angles. They didn't lie when they said it shows scratches easily.

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
You need to remember, there are millions of people using a matte black iPhone. Usually people aren't posting online to check in and say their iPhone is still mint, so you're only seeing the few rare occurrences. If it was a common thing, you'd see it posted everywhere.

Swapnil Vartak

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I have seen the paint chipped off on my Friend's iPhone 7 in 3 different places on the back and it does not look pretty. I wonder how it will look with the paint on the entire back chipped off...And it's a fairly new phone as well..less than 3 months old...

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Although I keep my Plus in an Apple leather case religiously...the top & bottom end are exposed in it, and I've dropped the phone a few times that I know it's hit the floor on one of tose sides...and I've had no damage at all. Overall, the matte black seems pretty tough to me!

Digital-Nomad

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
Well, I have the issue. And there's also a thread on the Apple forum as well. After 7 months the paint chipped off close to the left speaker. A few days later it started also on the right side. Talked to Apple support but they say it's cosmetic so no warranty. Which is still strange for such an expensive phone. My iPhone is in a Tech 21 case with extra screen protector.

IMG_6985.JPG

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Common element here: Dropping.

Don’t drop your phone (or put a protective case on it) and there’s a really good chance you might not get any chipping.

jcbama85

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi! Im debating on wether to get a matte black iphone or go with rosegold because I heard rumours that the matte black iphone is very prone ro early wear and paint chippings mind you even when handled with care and protective case. I dont know how true this is because I've ask a couple of people and some say it is true and some say its not the same case as their iphone. Help! Really wanted to get matte black

I really wanted jet black, but the lady at Verizon talked me into the matte black, saying the jet was a finger print magnet. I use a minimalist case, but no issues for me.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro