Is it true that the Matte Black Iphone 7 plus is prone to paint chippings and early wear?

alexinwonderland14

Mar 16, 2017
Visit site
Hi! Im debating on wether to get a matte black iphone or go with rosegold because I heard rumours that the matte black iphone is very prone ro early wear and paint chippings mind you even when handled with care and protective case. I dont know how true this is because I've ask a couple of people and some say it is true and some say its not the same case as their iphone. Help! Really wanted to get matte black

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I keep mine cased but I don't know of anyone who has experienced such a thing and to be honest, the OP is the first time that I've heard of the phenomenon.

tr1ad

Trusted Member
Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I have two small chips, but that's because I use mine without a case.... It's not bother to me really

Anastayja1

Trusted Member
Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
I have not experienced this. I've had mine since October and it still looks like the day I purchased it. I don't go caseless though.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Only if it takes an impact with concrete or steel or something similar in hardness. If you have in case or it never takes any drops it probably won't chip.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My black iPhone 7 Plus have NEVER been in a case and there's not a ding, dent, scrape, scratch, crack, nip or boo-boo on it...:)....If it's not in my hand, it's typically in my back pant pocket or attached to my iOttie when I'm in my car.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have had mine since October and there is not so much as a faint mark on it or a fading of any color. It looks like it did when I pulled it out of the box. I do keep some sort of a case on it most of the time just because I think it's so slippery and I get nervous about dropping it.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I'd say get a case and enjoy your phone. Though I'm not sure it's something to worry about even without a case if you take care of it.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Most likely a bad rumor started out of jealousy by someone with a scratched jet black 7 Plus

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Mine bought last fall isn't showing the problem. It's out of a case fairly often. It's cleaned often. It's a primary work tool so while not abused, it's no way babied.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I have had mine since launch day and up until recently went caseless. My device is still flawless.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I've read about that happening over the past couple of weeks and find it hugely disappointing. I still have an iPhone 6s and decided to wait for the iPhone 8 this year, but I was thinking if I wasn't too thrilled with it, I would just grab an iPhone 7 instead - and the only two colors I would consider are rose gold or matte black. I mentioned this issue to my friend recently, too - she has the matte black iPhone 7. I hope it's just a rare thing that happens to the odd matte black iPhone. :-/