Hate the thing!

Anon147852369

Feb 26, 2017
Visit site
Hi guys,
Not sure why I'm even writing this or what I expect etc but about to go return my iphone 7 plus tomorrow as my cooling off period is coming to an end.

I have owned a LOT of mobile phones before but never have I hated a device this much. I've had it for almost 2 weeks and there's literally nothing I like about it at all. I upgraded from the iPhone 5s and already put my SIM back into my 5s and never been so grateful to have it :D

I got the iPhone 7 plus matte black, which - in hindsight, I don't know what I was thinking going with the black variant..it's SO ugly, looks like an absolutely old brick of a "phone" from 2005 or something...like one of them things that when you get a parcel delivered the delivery guy whips out a device this massive and black and asks you to "sign here" with one of them stylus pens or whatever they're called.

I can't have the phone without a case as it's so huge and slippery but then most cases only add to the already huge size of the phone..somehow I feel like fingerprints are visible all over the phone including on the screen more than on any of my smartphones ever before..the thing feels super heavy and like it's going shatter into pieces if I were to drop it even on my wooden floor at home.

I can't do anything on the phone with just one hand and let me tell you - I haven't got small hands at all! Can't imagine how short people get this phone and go about their daily life carrying it around. Speaking of carrying it around - like, how do I even carry it around? Do I have to start carrying a purse now or something? Sometimes it's chilly outside where I live meaning I can wear a jacket and can fit this brick into the jacket but most of the time, I don't wear a jacket...and..have nowhere to put this phone other than carry it in my hand?? Which, doesn't seem smart given the price of the phone and stuff...

I am so desperate wanting to like it but I just can't...maybe if I get the white version (gold/rose gold/silver) it might be ok? I feel like this phone is too big to just be one color..maybe the white frame would make it look not-as-big? Maybe I should've just got the 7? But then I may as well just get the 6s because really, what difference even is there between the regular size 6s and the regular size 7?

If anyone can let me know how they deal with the above that would be much appreciated! And sorry if I sound angry I am just desperate..love all my apple products and maybe that's why I am shocked and disappointed at how much I dislike this..."phone".

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your feedback. I can't say I agree with most of what you've said here—I love my iPhone 7 Plus—but we are all entitled to our opinions.

You might want to check out the SE. It has the exact same form factor as your 5s but it's updated with newer guts. Good luck!

adam13141

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I agree with Rob. The SE sounds like it would be perfect for you. It sounds like the main issue for you is the size of the iPhone. I have had the 6 plus, 6s plus, and now the 7 plus. It did take me some time to get used to the size of the phone, but once I did it was fine. Still I hope the next iPhone plus model gets rid of the bezels of the phone but keep the screen size the same. Then it would be perfect imo.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the others since you like your 5s you might want to consider the SE. I upgraded a few months ago from a 5s to a 6s and couldn't be happier. Good luck with your decision.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,
Not sure why I'm even writing this or what I expect etc but about to go return my iphone 7 plus tomorrow as my cooling off period is coming to an end.

I have owned a LOT of mobile phones before but never have I hated a device this much. I've had it for almost 2 weeks and there's literally nothing I like about it at all. I upgraded from the iPhone 5s and already put my SIM back into my 5s and never been so grateful to have it :D

I got the iPhone 7 plus matte black, which - in hindsight, I don't know what I was thinking going with the black variant..it's SO ugly, looks like an absolutely old brick of a "phone" from 2005 or something...like one of them things that when you get a parcel delivered the delivery guy whips out a device this massive and black and asks you to "sign here" with one of them stylus pens or whatever they're called.

I can't have the phone without a case as it's so huge and slippery but then most cases only add to the already huge size of the phone..somehow I feel like fingerprints are visible all over the phone including on the screen more than on any of my smartphones ever before..the thing feels super heavy and like it's going shatter into pieces if I were to drop it even on my wooden floor at home.

I can't do anything on the phone with just one hand and let me tell you - I haven't got small hands at all! Can't imagine how short people get this phone and go about their daily life carrying it around. Speaking of carrying it around - like, how do I even carry it around? Do I have to start carrying a purse now or something? Sometimes it's chilly outside where I live meaning I can wear a jacket and can fit this brick into the jacket but most of the time, I don't wear a jacket...and..have nowhere to put this phone other than carry it in my hand?? Which, doesn't seem smart given the price of the phone and stuff...

I am so desperate wanting to like it but I just can't...maybe if I get the white version (gold/rose gold/silver) it might be ok? I feel like this phone is too big to just be one color..maybe the white frame would make it look not-as-big? Maybe I should've just got the 7? But then I may as well just get the 6s because really, what difference even is there between the regular size 6s and the regular size 7?

If anyone can let me know how they deal with the above that would be much appreciated! And sorry if I sound angry I am just desperate..love all my apple products and maybe that's why I am shocked and disappointed at how much I dislike this..."phone".

You are the one who will be carrying a smartphone and therefore it is important that you get one that will suit your needs. If the iPhone 7 Plus isn't for you, return it and get something else. An iPhone SE, perhaps. If you don't want another iPhone, go with a different brand. Do whatever "you" feel is best for "you". Period.

Anon147852369

Feb 26, 2017
Visit site
Thanks guys! Regarding the SE, I wouldn't want to 'upgrade' to something that looks exactly like the phone I've had for the past 3 years if that makes sense. That's why I think I'll end up with the 6s (the regular sized one) as it's still bigger than the 5s which is what I wanted but at the same time not as huge as the 7 plus.

If you don't mind me asking: please tell me: how do you carry an iphone 7 plus around..? Do you normally carry a bag and have it in your bag? Do inside your jacket? I just don't believe that people actually put this phone inside their jeans and walk around with that....huge rectangle shape on their jeans where the pocket is? I mean this as nicely and as genuinely as possible I just really want to know.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys! Regarding the SE, I wouldn't want to 'upgrade' to something that looks exactly like the phone I've had for the past 3 years if that makes sense. That's why I think I'll end up with the 6s (the regular sized one) as it's still bigger than the 5s which is what I wanted but at the same time not as huge as the 7 plus.

If you don't mind me asking: please tell me: how do you carry an iphone 7 plus around..? Do you normally carry a bag and have it in your bag? Do inside your jacket? I just don't believe that people actually put this phone inside their jeans and walk around with that....huge rectangle shape on their jeans where the pocket is? I mean this as nicely and as genuinely as possible I just really want to know.

I keep it in a jacket pocket or in my pants pocket. I'm an average sized guy that wears regular fitting jeans and don't usually have a problem. The size certainly isn't the most convenient but it's the price I pay for having a huge phone.

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site

I'd prefer the i7 over the 6s being I never go backwards when it comes to technology. The i7 screen is nicer, battery is way better than the 6s. Dust and water resistant is a nice added feature. I actually just sold my 7+ and went back to the regular 7. I'm not a fan of the size. It is heavy bulky just not a fan.

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site

I carry mine in my extra small sized scrub pockets, in hand, in my hoodie, in my jacket, and the back pocket of my tiny girl jeans. It's doable.

Anon147852369

Feb 26, 2017
Visit site
Maybe a D-Brand skin is an option to make it more grippier and have no stains, fingerprints and such?

Yeah I have one..it does eliminate fingerprints that's true but it still bothers me I don't like having anything on my phone. It just makes me feel like there is something there that shouldn't be there...and even though it's really really thin, it's still there and still makes the phone even bigger (maybe it's just in my head haha I don't know).
@Slammers08
Thanks! I'll definitely look into that. The regular 7 sounds a lot better than the 7+.

I think I rushed into buying the 7+ without actually doing any research first. I travel a lot and like to watch movies on my phone that's why I got it. But.....I can't even watch movies on this properly because it's just so heavy and slippery and awkward to hold. Maybe it's the black color...just looks too masculine and depressing :biggrin: I don't know!

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

I have been using large phones since the Note 2 so I guess I'm just used to it. I put them in my pocket or jacket or whatever I happen to be wearing without issues.

It really sounds like you are just not a big phone person and that's ok. It's not for everyone. You mentioned the 6s and I absolutely can't recommend that phone enough. It is a great phone in a manageable size. I used one for a few months prior to my 7 Plus and sometimes I miss it. Good luck to you.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I just hold my phone, I mean I'm usually wearing a jacket or vest to store it in, otherwise it goes in the front pocket of my jeans. The biggest I have placing the 7+ anywhere is actually in a vehicle. In my truck I just stick it in a cup holder ha ha. If you're going to another iPhone, and debating the 7 or 6s, get the 7, unless a headphone jack is that important to you. As other have said, the 7 is IP67 rated, meaning top dust protection and some water protection. Also the 7 has optical image stabilization as opposed to the 6s' digital image stabilization. The 7 has better internals all around, and the home button is no longer a physically moving breakable part. It's all about what's best for you.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

If my iPhone 7 Plus isn't in my hand, it is typically in my left rear pant pocket. Only ½ an inch of it, if that, protrude from my pant pocket.

Shanicenicolle

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

I'm 4'10 and have adjusted just fine to doing most things one handed on this phone. I have it in either a lifeproof, Spigen hybrid or, a speck case - none of which add too much bulk. It fits fine in my from jean pockets (horizontally) and most of my work pants. If I don't have pants with pockets or a jacket or hoodie I just hold it or throw it in my work bag (I don't carry a purse usually just a little keychain wallet).

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

My pants pocket.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I had a note 3 before I came back to the 6 plus. Had to have a bigger phone but always wanted apple. I purposely buy carpenter pants to hold my phone in. On the right leg there are 2 pockets. One is small and the other one is a little bigger but deep enough to hold my 7 plus with the speck grip case.

If you are going with these pants you need to check to make sure your phone will fit in the pocket. I went to walmart and bought my pants there. I had to check 3 or 4 different pants in the same size to find one that would fit my phone. Just because the pants are the same size doesn't mean your phone will fit.

If you don't like the hammer loop on the left leg you could always cut it off. I do.

Hope this helps. I also looked at cargo pants but didn't like them.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had any issues with the 5.5" Plus. I have mine in an Otterbox Commuter and I have yet to find a pocket it won't easily go in. It works for me. But I'm also a two handed user.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Apple silicone will help with the slippery feeling of the phone, but you might want to consider going to the 7 vs the 7 Plus. It's larger than the 5s that you had but not quite as big as the 7.

And get the white/silver ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711