Are you using your dual camera?

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I use mine all the time. I have taken some amazing family pictures using the depth effect feature!

Fable

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
I have taken 100s of photos. Nearly 40% are in Portrait mode (much of my work is on display on the sticky thread about Photos taken with your iPhone 7+). I have found x2 to be less useful to me but I have used it for less than 5% of my photos. Unfortunately the minute you need to zoom you usually need much more than just x2 and then you are into digital zooming which isn't great.

rdstryr

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I have about 10-20% Portrait mode pics and about 10% Optical zoomed pics in my camera roll, so yeah I use it often.

Digital-Nomad

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
I must say I bought the iPhone 7 plus because it has the feature. Although I'm not using it often I think it's still added value for me. On my current travels I only take pictures with my iPhone, no DSLR of Micro Four Thirds for me now.

Yes, 2x zoom isn't much, but sometimes it's just enough to not disturb the surrounding.

But I must agree with @dejanh Apple doesn't promote this feature a lot. But it might in the future. Maybe new iPhone's will be able to capture 3D or so... ;-)

Darthstorm528

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I use it all the time also. Pictures taken in portrait mode look amazing.

I love portrait mode, best thing ever so far
320815d7d9ad20af92463105f99aaeea.jpg
02d8d08db2a89298242c31f86cfd905a.jpg

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I try and use whenever I can. It's nice to have the option. Plus a 2x optical zoom is better than strictly digital zoom.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I'm not taking a whole lot more pictures than I did before the 7 Plus on average, but I've definitely been using 2X a lot. It's just convenient in many situations. Depth effect here and there, but not often.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not taking a whole lot more pictures than I did before the 7 Plus on average, but I've definitely been using 2X a lot. It's just convenient in many situations. Depth effect here and there, but not often.

I agree with this 100%. I probably take about the same number of pictures, but I use that 2x zoom on the regular. I hardly ever used zoom before so I'm getting shots I never would have before. I don't use the portrait much but I think it's just because it's a little more effort to use it where as the zoom is a touch away.

Delirious D

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm with the OP. In all honestly i usually take over a dozen pictures a day, of my kiddos, selfies lol, stupid crap to share But since i got the iphone 7 a few days ago, those daily pictures have declined. I'm enjoying everything about my new iphone except for the camera. When i had a note 7 and the lg v20, iphone 7 owners raved about how great the camera is, but i dont see it. The app is confusing for one IMO and i hate how it doesn't use the whole screen to display your subject. Havent boxed up my lg v20 just yet, i still find myself reaching for that camera then emailing the pictures to the iphone since sending via bluetooth doesn't work. grr. lol

btw any way to download filters for the camera or do i have to get a separate app for that?

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
That, plus the optical 2x zoom, which usually works great, make me appreciate the camera. I didn't go to the Plus for the camera alone, but it was one factor.

I think i fall in the same category as you. When ever I borrow my friends iPhone (special Occasions) (very generous) I normally only use the 'normal' photo capture. That being said, when there is an opportunity to use the dual camera, i definitely take it. I know x2 isn't much zoom but as you said its very appreciated:)

Ecm

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I think i fall in the same category as you. When ever I borrow my friends iPhone (special Occasions) (very generous) I normally only use the 'normal' photo capture. That being said, when there is an opportunity to use the dual camera, i definitely take it. I know x2 isn't much zoom but as you said its very appreciated:)

That's right. It's not always needed, but missed when you need it and don't have it. Like a spare tire on a car. Lol

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Wanted to update this thread. I've lately started experimenting more with the fake DoF effect created by the iPhone dual camera setup and I have to say I'm finding it increasingly more useful. For everyday shots in daytime it does surprisingly well. Generally speaking, I don't need my DSLR with me to snap decent photos on the go. I've noticed some flaws in the algorithm but no show-stoppers.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods