Are you using your dual camera?

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I'd like to get a quick sense of something. Basically, I bought an iPhone 7 Plus and so far I am finding that the dual camera is completely useless. I have taken two DoF pictures so far, only because I wanted to try the "beta" feature. Since then I have not used it once. I would like to know how others are faring.

In a month, how many pictures do you take on average, and how many of those pictures actually used the dual camera for its intended purpose, either to create an optically zoomed-in photo, or to create the DoF effect?

For example, here is my answer:

Monthly I take between 10-20 pictures on average, of which 0 are taken using the dual-camera.

Ecm

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I've taken almost 2,000 pix since getting the 7 Plus in October. Of those 22 are DoF. A large percentage, no. But the ones I've taken have mostly been great.

That, plus the optical 2x zoom, which usually works great, make me appreciate the camera. I didn't go to the Plus for the camera alone, but it was one factor.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't know how many pictures I've taken since October, but it's quite a few. The percentage of zoom or DoF pictures is going to be small with anyone probably. Not every picture requires it. I have only taken a few DoF pictures because I just have not needed to use it. I use the zoom much more regularly. I'd say a fairly high percentage of my pictures use the zoom. Maybe even 15-20%. Either way I am very glad to have both features when I need them.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I have Camera+ defaulted to using the 2x lens.
This is an interesting comment. You find it better to have a more narrow FoW. I can see that making sense as most photos you take with a smartphone would be of more intimate nature.

Anyway, good replies so far. I'm curious to hear more. I'd love it if iMore ran an actual poll on the front page asking about dual camera use. I realize that this is a small sample, but it looks like the dual camera is seldom used.

Last edited:

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
When I had
The + I took an average of 20-30 pics a month. Maybe 2-4 in portrait mode. It began to frustrate me because it has to be theee perfect lighting to get the pic. With all said I grown tired of the bigger bulky 7+ and went back to the i7

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
This is an interesting comment. You find it better to have a more narrow FoW. I can see that making sense as most photos you take with a smartphone would be of more intimate nature.
The 2x lens on the 7+ closely approximates the field of view of the human eye - no distortions. This is the same field of view used by "standard" focal length lenses on full cameras (50mm lens on 35mm film cameras/full size sensors on DSLRs).

I use the 1x lens for landscapes, wide shots, things too close for the 2x and barcode scanning apps.

Larry Cook1

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure how many pics I've taken since I got the plus in Dec. but I would say probably half of them were with zoom. For parties or sports events the zoom is so handy.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
So anything over 2x zoom uses both lenses? Also how do you enable dof?
Not sure. Only 2x is optical zoom because the camera switches to the second lens with a higher focal length. Going higher than 2x is digital zoom. As for DoF effect, you enable that by switching to Portrait mode in the Camera app.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Not sure. Only 2x is optical zoom because the camera switches to the second lens with a higher focal length. Going higher than 2x is digital zoom. As for DoF effect, you enable that by switching to Portrait mode in the Camera app.
Thanks for the explanation dejanh!

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I find myself using the 2x camera a lot. It's great for cats because I can get a closer shot without having to be so close.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
So anything over 2x zoom uses both lenses? Also how do you enable dof?
No. Only 2x and the Depth Effect use the 2x lens. All other uses use the main lens.
Also, the 2x lens requires more light, so if it's low light, depth effect is disabled and 2x is a digital zoom of the main lens.

Digital-Nomad

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
Same for me, most pictures (around 50 per month) with the wide angle lens, DoF not so much but I use the 2x zoom a lot. Especially when I have to keep my distance from the subject.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Same for me, most pictures (around 50 per month) with the wide angle lens, DoF not so much but I use the 2x zoom a lot. Especially when I have to keep my distance from the subject.
This does bring up an interesting point does it not?

Dual camera does not seem to be that useful. The ability to have optical zoom on the other hand is useful. The 2x optical zoom is just a byproduct of having two lenses with different focal lengths, approximately equivalent to 2x zoom on the longer focal length. Just recently, tech was proposed by a Chinese manufacturer that would in effect allow for optical zoom using a single lens, and not just optical zoom limited to one magnification factor, but several. This tech was not ground-breaking either. It is in effect taking the same principles found in a periscope and applying them in a miniaturized form in a phone.

I am not at all sold on the purpose or benefit of dual camera, and frankly even Apple strikes me as not being sold on it. They have done nothing since launch of the 7-series to actually advance or promote the usage of dual lens camera. I also realize that this thread is a very small sample, but the primary (actual) use case for the dual-lens, the fake DoF, is virtually unused and the other use can be implemented without multiple lenses.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods