The Difference between the 7 and 7 Plus is pretty noticeable

jackadam1212

Feb 22, 2017
Visit site
So, I originally got an iPhone 7 at launch, but I decided to upgrade to an iPhone 7+, making it my first Plus iPhone. I decided to do it for my birthday and so that I could have the best phone possible when I decide to pay off my lease. I didn't think there would be that big a difference, but you can really tell a difference between the two devices I feel. I'm going to just hit the big differences I've found.

Size:
Honestly, now that I own a Plus and have had it for several days, I don't see what's wrong with the size. It doesn't feel any bigger in my hand than my old Note 5. I can still reach to the other side of the phone in one hand, and it still feels super comfortable. I guess there's nothing wrong with making it smaller, and I still prefer the smaller size of the 7, but I have no issue with the size of the phone at all.

Display:
I thought that the iPhone 7+ display would just be a slightly larger version of the 7's. However, I was wrong. the display is so much more sharper. On the 7, when I would look close, I could start to make out pixels, but on the 7+, no matter how close I get, I can't distinguish the pixels at all. I can barely tell the difference between it and my old Note 5, even though the Note 5 is higher resolution. The display also feels like it's brighter.

Camera:
So, they both have the same base camera, but honestly having two cameras is a really great idea. The zoom is so much better than on the standard 7, and Portrait mode is just so much fun. Yes, there are apps for the 7 that produce a similar effect, but none are as easy or good as the built in one using both cameras. It's been so much fun. I hope future versions of iOS expand on using the two cameras.

Battery:
This has been the most noticeable change. With the same amount of usage so far, the times of day where my 7 would hit 50% and 20% is when the 7+ hits 80% and 50%. I've gone over 24 hours without charging the 7+ and I still have more than 20%. It puts every previous iPhone and Android phone I've ever owned to shame. The battery alone has me committed to Plus models forever now.

Speed:
The only difference in speed is that the iPhone 7+ has 3GB of RAM, where the 7 has 2GB. The only difference I've noticed is that a few apps don't refresh as often. Tumblr is most noticeable. On my 7, leaving Tumblr after a few minutes forced a refresh, but on the 7+, it can stay in its state for MUCH longer.

The 7+ is such a great upgrade. I really wish Apple had kept the original philosophy they did with the 6 family, where the only difference was the battery and resolution, because if I could have had all of this but on the 7, I'd probably prefer the smaller 7. Still, the upgrade is so worth it. I'm not buying anything smaller now.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Happy Birthday and enjoy your 7Plus. I also was a Samsung customer and jumped over. I really am surprised as to how much I am liking the darker side of the phone world. LOL. I actually prefer larger screen and phone landscape. Having had all the Note series devices it was a given that if I were to get an iphone it would be the 7plus. Anything else would not had made me happy.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I initially got an iPhone 7 on day one and I traded it in for a Plus model when they were available at the Apple Store (October or so) and never looked back. The battery life alone was worth it.

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I initially got an iPhone 7 on day one and I traded it in for a Plus model when they were available at the Apple Store (October or so) and never looked back. The battery life alone was worth it.

Actually battery is a lot better on the regular 7 opposed to the 6s. I could get maybe 8 hrs tops of actual usage on my 7+ I can get 7 on my i7. So with that said I prefer a more pocket able easier to use device over a brick in my pocket

jorge Hewitson

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
I think the size is something to consider in the plus, it is a matter of taste, of course this, but not everyone will fit, on the other hand you have greater autonomy, a large screen display and the best camera of the iphone family.

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
7+ camera is great as is the regular 7. Yes portrait mode is nice but who actually uses it daily? When I had the + I used it maybe a handful of times. And it's was a task to get the perfect shot with portrait mode because you need ideal lighting situations for it to get the good pics. I prefer the more pocket able device(7).

KenV54

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for sharing and I am also enjoying my jet black 7 plus 128.

Hey, bakron1, as I recall (correct me if I'm wrong) you used to be a fellow Passport or Passport SE owner.

If so, can you compare the passport with the iPhone 7 Plus? Both in terms of size and function, other than the apps. I have an iPhone 7 and wonder whether I should jump to the iPhone 7 Plus.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Hey, bakron1, as I recall (correct me if I'm wrong) you used to be a fellow Passport or Passport SE owner.

If so, can you compare the passport with the iPhone 7 Plus? Both in terms of size and function, other than the apps. I have an iPhone 7 and wonder whether I should jump to the iPhone 7 Plus.

I will always have a soft spot for my passport and Blackberry OS10, but I do like the iPhone because of the apps I have to have for my business and I will always miss the Hub.

The notifications on my 7 plus are fine and the screen is very crisp and the only downside is the size which is a two hand device. I also had a iPhone 7 which I also liked but at 61 the extra screen space for reading emails and my social media post is a huge plus for me.

I am going to buy the new Blackberry Keyone when it's becomes available because I still have a soft spot for a PKB device. I still stay active on both the iMore and CB forums (which I am a ambassador).

Blackberry will always have a place in my heart because it was the first smartphone I owned and I traveled the world with my 7100i Nextel unit and it never let me down.

If you can justify the extra cost, I would go with a 7 plus. My 7 plus jet back 128 has been perfect with no issues.

KenV54

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I am going to buy the new Blackberry Keyone when it's becomes available because I still have a soft spot for a PKB device. I still stay active on both the iMore and CB forums (which I am a ambassador).

If you can justify the extra cost, I would go with a 7 plus. My 7 plus jet back 128 has been perfect with no issues.

Thanks for your detailed answer. The two handed size is the deal breaker for me right now, even though I would like the larger screen real estate and better resolution. I'm thinking I might wait for the iPhone 8, which may have improved resolution and camera in the smaller size.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2