Procamera vs. Procam

steveh552

Trusted Member
Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
So I have bought both apps and have been playing with them on my 7 plus in preparation for my upcoming trip to Las Vegas. I plan on packing light, not taking my DSLR or anything and just using my iPhone this trip.

I am confused about a couple things with these two apps and let me preface by saying I have a degree in digital photography and know about file formats and all of that.

When I use Procamera if I shoot RAW its only a 640-852 pixel image but if I shoot TIFF it is full resolution but only at 13mb roughly.

When using Procam it wont shoot RAW even when it is selected and TIFF files are full resolution and 48mb each.

Anyone know how these two apps are processing these images and why there is such a difference between the two? I have always just used the stock iPhone camera app but really like the manual control and also the option of having RAW images which is why I bought these two apps.

blaine07

Case & Accessory Champion
Champion
Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried ProShot? It's possibly a contender here too? I love to play with all the photo apps but I am FAR from professional. Have no idea what I'm doing, really LOL.

Digital-Nomad

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
Hello, I use ProCamera as well. The 640-852 pixel image you're talking about is just the preview. If you export your RAW image the resolution is normal. You can dee it in the EXIF file after exporting the image to your computer.

Since about one year I don't bring any DSLR or point-and-shoot camera to my trips. My iPhone does the job wel for me ;-)

blaine07

Case & Accessory Champion
Champion
Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I use ProCamera as well. The 640-852 pixel image you're talking about is just the preview. If you export your RAW image the resolution is normal. You can dee it in the EXIF file after exporting the image to your computer.

Since about one year I don't bring any DSLR or point-and-shoot camera to my trips. My iPhone does the job wel for me ;-)

OT a little: What is the best/easiest way to export/get RAW pics odd iPhone 7+ mates? The way all these different camera apps handle RAW and TIFF is a mess. So fragmented.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Nov 23, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the info. I will give it some more test. I prefer RAW over JPG/Tiff but will use what gives the most useable file.

Digital-Nomad

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
Just keep in mind RAW files are way bigger if you look at mb size. And with RAW files you definitely need to post process all your images.
What I do (but it doesn't mean you have to do it as well :) ) is shoot most images in JPG format. Only when I see something special I use RAW.
For me it's just no fun to go through hundreds of pictures to process after a trip.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Just keep in mind RAW files are way bigger if you look at mb size. And with RAW files you definitely need to post process all your images.
What I do (but it doesn't mean you have to do it as well :) ) is shoot most images in JPG format. Only when I see something special I use RAW.
For me it's just no fun to go through hundreds of pictures to process after a trip.

Yeah, I may shoot both. I just did a test and you were right, it was just a display for 600-852. I did an airdrop and opened it up in Adobe Camera Raw and it was full res, which is what I want for most images. I have never taken a trip with just the iphone, always used my DSLR's but this time I just want to pack light and not have to worry about dragging the camera around.

Digital-Nomad

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
I know what you mean. A few years ago I went to Peru and did a 4-day hike to Machu Picchu with a DSLR, lenses, flashes, etc. After that trip I bought a micro four thirds camera. Way smaller, changeable lenses, etc. Super compact but still a lot to carry.

Now I use my iPhone 7plus. I must say I only have carry-on luggage to all my travels, so I'm happy with modern technology in smartphones. I use Moment-lenses as well as an add-on for my iPhone.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I know what you mean. A few years ago I went to Peru and did a 4-day hike to Machu Picchu with a DSLR, lenses, flashes, etc. After that trip I bought a micro four thirds camera. Way smaller, changeable lenses, etc. Super compact but still a lot to carry.

Now I use my iPhone 7plus. I must say I only have carry-on luggage to all my travels, so I'm happy with modern technology in smartphones. I use Moment-lenses as well as an add-on for my iPhone.

Any samples of what those can do vs just from the phone?

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Anyone interested in ProCamera, it's on sale today 2/23/17 for 99¢. Regular $4.99.

Thanks, I'll try to not go down that hole. Nothing against the app, but I realizes I've long used Camera+, like one that's probably not so popular called Focus, got ProCam 4 after it was on my wish list for so long, and have others. It's wonderful that we have so many great choices but I'll try to moderate here.

Digital-Nomad

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
Hey all, sorry for the late reply.
I'm traveling at the moment so I quickly posted one image so you'd asked for. WiFi isn't available anytime now.

Here are two more pictures. All three images are taken with the Moment Wide lens while using ProCamera, which also is used for editing.