Can someone give me a crash course in great iPhone photography?

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
OK, I've seen other people's photos that they have taken with their iPhones that people have posted here and they all seem far better than mine. Colors pop and are vibrant whereas my photos always seem kind of "blah".

Why is that? What are you guys using? Special apps? Special settings? Are you shooting in RAW format? Are you doing any kind of post-processing? If so, what software are you using? What suggestions do you have? I'd rather not spend crap tons of money on this because well... I'm not willing to spent $700 on Adobe Photoshop. No Mac software, I'm on Windows (yeah yeah, I know).

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I am using stock Camera app and make sure the lighting is okay. I always try to find that angle where the light goes.
Just try it out under different circumstances and you'll be a semi-pro soon.

Good luck.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I'd also suggest, if you live in a city with an Apple Store, or might travel to one, take one of the iPhone Photography Workshops that are offered. You can find a schedule on the Apple Store app and sign up for them there. A couple that you might find interesting are "iPhone Photography," which teaches how to use the camera app and the various features that help you take better pictures, and "Shoot More Artistic Photos with iPhone," which uses some accessories and other apps that can be used to improve your pictures.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I'd also suggest, if you live in a city with an Apple Store, or might travel to one, take one of the iPhone Photography Workshops that are offered. You can find a schedule on the Apple Store app and sign up for them there. A couple that you might find interesting are "iPhone Photography," which teaches how to use the camera app and the various features that help you take better pictures, and "Shoot More Artistic Photos with iPhone," which uses some accessories and other apps that can be used to improve your pictures.

I agree with this hundred percent! I have taken a few different photography courses at the Apple store and they are wonderful. The instructors are patient and knowledgeable! And, the good thing is that you can take them as often as you feel you need to.!

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I agree with this hundred percent! I have taken a few different photography courses at the Apple store and they are wonderful. The instructors are patient and knowledgeable! And, the good thing is that you can take them as often as you feel you need to.!

Yes, the instructors are great. I also forgot to mention that these workshops are free and, as you mention, there is no limit to how many (or how many times) you can attend. In fact, the instructors will encourage you to come to more of them.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Photography is an art form, it takes practice and knowledge like any other skill or art form. Unless the lighting can be manipulated in some way, a lot of photographers refrain from outdoor shooting unless it's sunrise or sunset because the sunlight isn't overly bright during those times. The biggest tricks for the initial photo are lighting and composition. After that it's all editing.

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
General tips:

1. Move closer with your feet instead of the zoom.
2. Take pictures early in morning or later in evening during "magic hour".
3. Make sure subject of picture is not in harsh lighting.

Most importantly, take many, many pictures. For every good one I get on my iPhone or camera, I've taken dozens and dozens of others that did not come out well.

Have fun!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
OK, I've seen other people's photos that they have taken with their iPhones that people have posted here and they all seem far better than mine. Colors pop and are vibrant whereas my photos always seem kind of "blah".

Why is that? What are you guys using? Special apps? Special settings? Are you shooting in RAW format? Are you doing any kind of post-processing? If so, what software are you using? What suggestions do you have? I'd rather not spend crap tons of money on this because well... I'm not willing to spent $700 on Adobe Photoshop. No Mac software, I'm on Windows (yeah yeah, I know).

Check out Serenity's tips via the following link.

http://www.imore.com/ten-tips-taking-great-iphone-photos

mark-d

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Being a good photographer isn't just about shooting a good photo, it's about editing and processing it well!

There are many photo editing apps out there. The golden rule is use them to make minor enhancements, never over process photos or they'll look terrible

lemony0

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
I had no idea Apple offered free photography courses. Next time I'm in store I'm going to inquire because beyond pressing the focus square I have literally no idea.

edswife1970

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I had no idea Apple offered free photography courses. Next time I'm in store I'm going to inquire because beyond pressing the focus square I have literally no idea.

Download the Apple Store app, and then choose shop. Then you can select the store closest to you by ZIP Code, and see all the workshops that are being offered by topic or by date. As a matter of fact, I am going to attend the iPhone photography workshop near me tomorrow!

Truman82

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Filters for the win.
Jokes aside, as said earlier there are many courses which teaches trick or two. And by searching Web or YouTube you can find pretty good guides as well.
Do remember that Apple is known to aim for most realistic colours where for example Samsung brings colours up in attempt to make the photo please masses of users.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Lighting is key.

Also, a decent editor like [URL="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/snapseed/id439438619?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]Snapseed[/URL] can help a lot. It's free :)

Just don't get carried away with the effects unless that's the look you are going for!

mark-d

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Remember if you're editing on your iPhone screen what looks good on your iPhone screen may look very over edited on a full size screen or in print should you be intending to print your photos.

Also, one handy little tip, always keep the original in case you mess up the editing then you have something to go back to and start again with

Digital-Nomad

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
For photography there are a few rules:
- don't use digital zoom
- try different angles
- get up early or stay up late for the best light
- take many, many pictures

I hardly use the native iPhone camera for my pictures, simply because the pictures turn out, well... ok.
For better pictures and better adjustment settings I use ProCamera.

For editing, I use ProCamera as well.
But I also can recommend Priime. They offer a lot of filters. And after you processed your picture you can always (even after a long time) go back to the original picture. That's something

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
For photography there are a few rules:
- don't use digital zoom
- try different angles
- get up early or stay up late for the best light
- take many, many pictures

I hardly use the native iPhone camera for my pictures, simply because the pictures turn out, well... ok.
For better pictures and better adjustment settings I use ProCamera.

For editing, I use ProCamera as well.
But I also can recommend Priime. They offer a lot of filters. And after you processed your picture you can always (even after a long time) go back to the original picture. That's something

I had for gotten about Priime... I'll have to download it again and try it some more. Thanks!

DonMecca81

Feb 23, 2017
Visit site
For vivid colours that pop u could try shooting in HDR or high dynamic range and see if this helps. I'm not a pro and this is my first iPhone but I am quite happy with the photos I have taken so far. Could there be something wrong with your camera or software maybe? If most of the pics posted here are great and yours is bland maybe it's a phone issue.

edswife1970

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
Great tip Mark-D. Keeping the original is paramount to having a starting point in case of a catastrophe.

Maybe you already know this but in case you don't, any photo that you have edited, can be put back to original at any time. Just select that photo and then select edit. Then select revert in the bottom right corner.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2