Can I make a suggestion?

AlexMarie15

Jan 4, 2017
Visit site
I think native English speakers underestimate how difficult it is, and how great of an achievement it is, for a non-Native speaker to write in English. There are plenty of individuals who complain about others' punctuation and grammar, yet make mistakes themselves. In my younger years, I may have made similar complaints, but the more exposed to world I become, and the more education I acquire, I realize how tricky language is. I don't comment often, but since I majored in English, and shall be going after a PhD in the philosophy of language, this thread sparked my defense mechanism of non-Native speakers. I'm not sure what threads the OP is referring to, but I do know that even the best English speakers make mistakes. It just takes a bit of graciousness to be understanding of the difficulty some have with writing and speaking in a language not "natural" to them. Also, imagine typing in a language that isn't native to you. I know my written Spanish and French would look pitiful, currently, to native speakers.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Let me review. No one in this thread, at least from what I've read, stated that they do not or would not attempt to assist a member whose post/thread is difficult to understand based, in part, on poor grammar. The numerous people who have replied in this thread are quick to offer assistance whenever they can. A suggestion was made by the OP of which some of us are in agreement. It would indeed be easier to assist a person if what they posted were clearly relayed. That is a fact! Heck, we've had numerous people create a thread in their native language, and I've personally copied that information and pasted it via Google translate in an attempt to assist him or her. The OP made a suggestion of which some took it as a criticism. There are suggestions offered via the following link.

http://forums.imore.com/ask-question/383823-please-read-before-posting.html

Is the OP criticizing members for omitting pertinent information or is he offering suggestions that would be helpful to those of us who seek to help them?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I want to formally apologize for taking this thread where it should have never gone. I forgot one of the first rules of being a Moderator, "don't take it personal". Just to let you know why, my son happens to be mentally challenged and it's just a little upsetting when people assume that everyone knows how to use correct English, punctuation and spelling. You never know what's going on with a person.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I want to formally apologize for taking this thread where it should have never gone. I forgot one of the first rules of being a Moderator, "don't take it personal". Just to let you know why, my son happens to be mentally challenged and it's just a little upsetting when people assume that everyone knows how to use correct English, punctuation and spelling. You never know what's going on with a person.

No harm done...

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Usually I understand what they're referring to. If I don't, I just move on. It's not worth getting frustrated or upset over.

Remington Steel

Dec 12, 2016
Visit site
Hey ya'll. I speak southern so let me know if you don't understand some of my post. My tongue gets wrapped around my eye teeth sometimes and I can't see what I'ma saying.

Just having some fun but the Southern part is correct. A cross between NC and GA. LOL

I remember back in college, I had a 30 minute argument with a professor over the use of the word "ya'll". I grew up in GA, come from an educated family who can talk slang with the best of them, but knows WHEN and WHERE to use "proper English". I told him it's not that serious dude. I now have a Ph.D and still talk "southern/slang" when I am in a "relaxed" environment....so sue me. Lol

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I remember back in college, I had a 30 minute argument with a professor over the use of the word "ya'll". I grew up in GA, come from an educated family who can talk slang with the best of them, but knows WHEN and WHERE to use "proper English". I told him it's not that serious dude. I now have a Ph.D and still talk "southern/slang" when I am in a "relaxed" environment....so sue me. Lol

It's "y'all". LOL

Shanicenicolle

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Slangs are dialects. It baffles me that United States citizens will recognize different versions of Spanish as dialects but have an issue when someone speaks AAVE. It's a dialect like any other and has common rules that are followed. The Spanish I speak (being Puerto Rican) is the equivalent of what is considered slang to English here in the US, lol.

Edited to add: not saying that's what everyone here is doing, it's just on topic and something that genuinely baffles me.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative