I updated yesterday, updated just fine.
    01-24-2017 11:17 AM
    If it was truly bricked, it's not like Apple did't take care of you ...
    OK OK, technically it wasn't bricked... those of us who downloaded the bad update within the first hour or so had to restore within iTunes to get wi-fi and cell radios back. My point is that it is ALWAYS a good idea to wait even just a little bit when a new iOS updates lands, I usually monitor twitter for a bit before I hit the software update button
    01-24-2017 11:55 AM
    LOL I wish that were true but I've been bit twice over the years with an iOS update that had a bug -- 8.4.1 was the last, so being "released" is not necessarily a sign that an update is safe
    I seem to remember:

iOS and its updates have been pretty rock solid and stable, UNTIL ..... 8.
    Then, something must have happened over there and it's been a constant (too frequent with very short interval) patching, updating and bug fixed. It was not like this before, and I do not like it.
    We all know Jonny Ives stuck his nose into software manipulation particularly after the sacking of Scott Forstall, staring with tinkering with mainly the aesthetics (fonts etc) and God knows what thereafter.
    I have no idea of Apple's inner-working of course, but things do not deem to be as smooth as they used to be (or as I remembered).
    Even accepting relatively frequent hardware updates and feature additions lately.
    And too much tinkering with Emoji, for God's sake....
    01-24-2017 12:32 PM
    I've been on the beta and it's been good for me Go for it!
    Agreed, same for watch 3.1.3, been on it since beta and no problems either.
    01-24-2017 02:05 PM
    Yep!
    Otherwise it wouldn't be released
    Not necessarily true.
    01-24-2017 02:32 PM
    something must have happened over there and it's been a constant (too frequent with very short interval) patching, updating and bug fixed. It was not like this before, and I do not like it.
    It's not just Apple that's guilty of this, Microsoft and Google are guilty of the same thing. Hell, I'd go so far as to say that the whole software industry is guilty of this.

To explain what is going on here we have to look at how software is developed today. In most development houses (including Apple) there are two methods or models to software development; Waterfall and Agile.

According to Wikipedia... The Waterfall Model is described as...
    The waterfall model is a sequential (non-iterative) design process, used in software development processes, in which progress is seen as flowing steadily downwards (like a waterfall) through the phases of conception, initiation, analysis, design, construction, testing, production/implementation and maintenance. Despite the development of new software development process models, the waterfall method is still the dominant process model with over a third of software developers still using it.
    And then you have Agile...
    Agile software development describes a set of principles for software development under which requirements and solutions evolve through the collaborative effort of self-organizing cross-functional teams. It advocates adaptive planning, evolutionary development, early delivery, and continuous improvement, and it encourages rapid and flexible response to change. These principles support the definition and continuing evolution of many software development methods.
    A lot of companies including Google, Microsoft, and Apple have moved to the Agile Model when it comes to software development. In some ways Agile is better than the Waterfall model because development of software is sped up and new features come to the user faster than in the more traditional Waterfall model but on the down side more bugs can crop up.
    01-24-2017 02:37 PM
    To me. many of iOS updates are of patches and bug fixes nature. They are the ones causing so frequent an update. When, say v.1, is out, v1.1 comes out very soon to patch bugs they left out in V.1. In many recent times, beta of following versions is already out just as they released the current version. It's not like developing software but mostly "fixing" it. That's what I am finding out these days with Apple. It was not quite like that before. I can accept developing new feature or developing new S/W etc, but bug fixes and patching? Bug fixes are important part of the S/W release and things happen, but don't you think it is too frequent these days? It feels like some level of disciplining was either loosened up or lost within the organization and nobody is controlling it, and such practice may have been accepted and becoming a norm. With Steve Jobs, the tight discipline enforcer, gone, some things have gone with him :-).
    01-24-2017 02:50 PM
    Bug fixes are important part of the S/W release and things happen, but don't you think it is too frequent these days? It feels like some level of disciplining was either loosened up or lost within the organization
    Read my post above, it's not just Apple that's at fault here. The whole software industry has this issue. It's due to the change in how software is developed.
    01-24-2017 02:54 PM
    Read my post above, it's not just Apple that's at fault here. The whole software industry has this issue. It's due to the change in how software is developed.
    I am not talking about the software development. I am talking about fixes and patches and such, and its frequencies, which I think obviously changed in recent couple of years. You can quote Wikipedia etc for software development but we are talking about two different things. Android for example is terrible but their updates or bug fixes etc are slow. Apple has to be commended for relatively speedy bug fixes and patches etc, but I am talking about apparent "sloppiness" of the software dep't within Apple. It appears that this is particularly profound in iOS, but not so much on Mac OS. Some might not think so, but I have been feeling that this was what's happening. You are rather talking about new software development or feature addition etc. Apple have been developing thier software for a long time but their practice got a bit sloppier.
    Anyway.....
    01-24-2017 04:31 PM
    I am talking about fixes and patches and such, and its frequencies, which I think obviously changed in recent couple of years. ... Apple has to be commended for relatively speedy bug fixes and patches etc, but I am talking about apparent "sloppiness" of the software dep't within Apple.
    But this is a symptom of the change that's going on in the software world, namely the change to a new way of developing software. Write the code, push it out, and hope for the best. If bugs crop up, just tell the users that's we'll fix it in a couple of weeks. It's the "new" way of doing things!
    01-24-2017 04:35 PM
    And too many and too frequent public bata lately, and still patches for same bug etc. We are not guinea pigs :-)
    But I repeat that I do commend Apple for fixing things quickly when they are pointed out, unlike other platforms. The end...
    01-24-2017 04:35 PM
    But it's been a long way since 8.4.1
    One of the iOS 10 versions was bricking phones and it got pulled.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/9to5mac...?client=safari
    01-24-2017 05:38 PM
    My iPad and iPhone has been fine but my watch turned itself off randomly this afternoon a few hours after I upgraded to the latest watchOS.
    01-24-2017 06:33 PM
    Updated my phone and watch last night and no problems.
    01-24-2017 06:51 PM
    Yep!
    Otherwise it wouldn't be released
    iOS 10.2.1 out today...............Is it safe?-6004749-_478844f6802094c9d69672ea7c062b06.png

Hahaha, thanks for the laugh TwitchyPuppy.
    01-25-2017 01:31 AM
    Updated yesterday for my 6s Plus, 7 Plus and iPad mini 4, and also 3.1.3 for my Apple Watch. So far so good.
    01-25-2017 02:33 AM
    Did the update last night on my iPhone, iPad and also my watch too. Oh and iTunes as well for good measure
    01-25-2017 02:40 AM
    Ok. I have an issue with the update thatI want to report:
    - Was on a call on the way to work this morning and when I got to work (where the signal is very strong), the call dropped. Annoying but ok, I'll just dial back in. So I try and the call failed 4x. I rebooted the phone and I got NO SIGNAL for 2-3 min after the reboot before it finally connected. Now I'm on 4G, when I'm usually on LTE. Checked with co-workers also with AT&T and they're working fine. Hmm.

Tried both hard and soft reset with same result.

On a happier note, I was on wifi calling while at home on the call and then got in my car and left and the call switched seamlessly to cellular calling and didn't drop me. On previous versions of iOS, I was always dropped.
    Last edited by eyecrispy; 01-25-2017 at 09:10 AM.
    01-25-2017 08:59 AM
    I am not talking about the software development. I am talking about fixes and patches and such, and its frequencies, which I think obviously changed in recent couple of years. You can quote Wikipedia etc for software development but we are talking about two different things. Android for example is terrible but their updates or bug fixes etc are slow. Apple has to be commended for relatively speedy bug fixes and patches etc, but I am talking about apparent "sloppiness" of the software dep't within Apple. It appears that this is particularly profound in iOS, but not so much on Mac OS. Some might not think so, but I have been feeling that this was what's happening. You are rather talking about new software development or feature addition etc. Apple have been developing thier software for a long time but their practice got a bit sloppier.
    Anyway.....
    I'm going to disagree about Android a bit here. From things I've read over the last year, Android is now better at fixing bugs than Apple is -- at least for the (few) phones that get the monthly Android security patches. The issue Android has is the number of smartphone manufacturers that do a poor job of providing the patches, or even updating Android to newer versions, on the phones they sell.
    xanadome and DMP89145 like this.
    01-25-2017 10:44 AM
    iOS 10.2.1 is out today. Did you upgrade, is it safe?
    Um, yes it's a security update
    01-25-2017 02:16 PM
    Ok. I have an issue with the update thatI want to report:
    - Was on a call on the way to work this morning and when I got to work (where the signal is very strong), the call dropped. Annoying but ok, I'll just dial back in. So I try and the call failed 4x. I rebooted the phone and I got NO SIGNAL for 2-3 min after the reboot before it finally connected. Now I'm on 4G, when I'm usually on LTE. Checked with co-workers also with AT&T and they're working fine. Hmm.

Tried both hard and soft reset with same result.
    Similar problem happened to my Dad and his iPhone 6s last year and I ended up getting a new SIM from AT&T and it fixed the problem
    01-25-2017 02:20 PM
    I better update than
    01-25-2017 03:47 PM
    Similar problem happened to my Dad and his iPhone 6s last year and I ended up getting a new SIM from AT&T and it fixed the problem
    Well, mine was fine until I upgraded. I wonder if I need a carrier update.
    01-25-2017 08:19 PM
    Just upgraded. Hopefully I still get 6 hours of gameplay lol
    01-25-2017 08:45 PM
    Updated my 6s. No challenges so far.
    01-25-2017 08:54 PM
58 123