So I don't have an iPhone 7/7 plus but my wife does. I recently purchased a 6 plus with a broken screen and got it fixed. I paid to get it fixed even though I was pretty sure I could do it. Only reason I did was because I was worried I would mess up the home button therefore no longer having Touch ID. I was talking to a friend about him getting a new 7 plus, and for some reason it got me wondering. So the new home button is built into the screen right? What happens if that screen needs to be replaced. Is the home button still tied to the processor for security reasons, or is that no longer a thing?
    01-13-2017 08:43 PM
    So I don't have an iPhone 7/7 plus but my wife does. I recently purchased a 6 plus with a broken screen and got it fixed. I paid to get it fixed even though I was pretty sure I could do it. Only reason I did was because I was worried I would mess up the home button therefore no longer having Touch ID. I was talking to a friend about him getting a new 7 plus, and for some reason it got me wondering. So the new home button is built into the screen right? What happens if that screen needs to be replaced. Is the home button still tied to the processor for security reasons, or is that no longer a thing?
    The home button is still a separate piece. It doesn't "click" but is still a unit that can be removed. As a note of caution, if you need to ever replace the touch ID sensor then you will loose touch ID functionality as the original hardware that was shipped with the device is specific to the phone. Meaning, you can't just remove it and replace it with another. It'll still work, though touch ID features will not.

Take a look at this for more information and a look at the teardown: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+...lacement/72821

Edit: Yes, the touch ID is tied to the processor from the factory. Sorry, I misread your post. So if you replace the screen just swap the touch ID sensor.
    Tpence2177 likes this.
    01-13-2017 11:04 PM
    Gotcha thanks. I hadn't looked for a tear down of the 7 yet looking at my wife's it looked like it was all one piece some how
    01-13-2017 11:19 PM
    I know several companies had been researching an on screen fingerprint sensor I guess I figured apple had already figured it out lol.
    01-13-2017 11:20 PM