Is it still true that you should wait till the battery is almost at nothing before you charge it?

I thought that was only for old batteries, and now you can just charge it when you need to without any negative effects on the battery.

Had a bit of a debatE and was wondering what was correct.
    01-02-2017 09:35 AM
    No, you can charge it whenever you feel like charging. There is no guide anymore on how to charge it.

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/
    candy84 likes this.
    01-02-2017 09:42 AM
    True, I plug it in when I'm at my desk at work and plug it in again after I return from lunch.
    01-02-2017 10:38 AM
    What about using a higher powered charger that charges it faster?
    01-02-2017 10:58 AM
    What about using a higher powered charger that charges it faster?
    I use my iPad charger when at home. It definitely charges faster and as far as I know there aren't any negative effects.
    01-02-2017 06:38 PM
    Is it still true that you should wait till the battery is almost at nothing before you charge it?

I thought that was only for old batteries, and now you can just charge it when you need to without any negative effects on the battery.

Correct.You don't need to drain it to almost nothing. That will infect damage the battery. I always say to people don't let your battery go below 15% and just top it up with charge when you can. Keeping the battery in the 20% to 90% range i perfect to keeping your battery lasting a long time.
    Tartarus and njlx2016 like this.
    01-03-2017 11:06 AM

That tidbit was true for older battery technologies as they had a "memory effect" which caused them to lose their capacity after being repeatedly partially discharged and charged.

It is not true for lithium batteries, of which most modern electronic devices use. Lithium batteries are happiest when they are between 30 - 90% charged and are most unhappy when they are near 0%. Leaving lithium batteries near 0% for extended periods of time can significantly reduce their useful life and may even be dangerous.

All batteries begin degrading once manufactured and have a finite lifespan - for now at least. Avoiding stress (extreme temperatures, frequent discharging / charging to and from 0%) on them will slow down the degradation.

Source: I read this book: https://www.amazon.com/Batteries-Por...mUvbUpU2874604
    Last edited by njlx2016; 01-03-2017 at 12:19 PM.
    01-03-2017 12:03 PM
    Nope. Charge whenever you feel like it. My iPhone can be anywhere from in the 50-something percent range all the day down to the 20s before I charge, depending on usage. With my iPad mini 2, I find myself charging it partially more often than all the way to 100%, and usually when it's in the 50-something range. It doesn't hurt the battery.

Also, I have never allowed the battery of either my 6s or mini 2 to drain all the way down to nothing. I think that's a very bad thing, and if anything, doing that can kill the battery a lot faster.
    01-03-2017 12:11 PM
    That was the old nickel cadmium batteries from back the "green screen" days. They would remember at what percentage you started charging your battery and would remember that pecentage as 0%.
    Lithium Ion batteries don't have that issue. However, Lithium is essentially thousands of cells that hold the charge. Every time the battery is plugged in one of those cells dies. So, depending how often you charge throughout the day will dictate the life span of said battery.
    This is probably why batteries in Android devices never last as long as iPhone batteries.
    01-03-2017 12:22 PM