Are these good?

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
I seem to be getting some really poor image quality from my iPhone 7 Plus. When you zoom in on the image its quality goes to crap. I've taken pictures with HDR, no HDR, with flash, no flash, etc. It always seems like the picture comes out blurry and pixelated. I have no idea what's going on here or even how to fix it.

I have attached three pictures that I've taken and they all seem like it was taken by a camera from 10 years ago, not a camera that I would expect to be in a high-end smartphone such as the iPhone 7 Plus.

Attachments

• IMG_0306.JPG
    IMG_0306.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0294.jpg
    IMG_0294.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0295.JPG
    IMG_0295.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 131
Last edited:

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
Re: Poor image quality... What the heck?

Photos looks fine to me. They look sharp and colors are good. What are you expecting? DSLR quality? The phone has a sensor the size of your pinky nail. A point and shoot has a sensor 2-3 times the size of that. The bigger the sensor, the better the details when you zoom in. Any digital zoom is going to show degraded quality.

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site

Smaller. The point and shoots have one that big. The main sensor on the iPhone 7 camera is a mere 5.16mm by 6.25mm.

I knew it was along those lines. With a sensor that small, digital zoom is a bad idea.

Get the framing right and don't use zoom.

LDYNREDD

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site

Those pictures look good to me too. I thought the ones in the church are beautiful.

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site

I think the post was meant to be a jokepics look top notch to me.

lol I hope so. Bu there are people that expect DSLR like quality with a sensor way smaller then a DSLR. They think MP is similar to a DSLR so quality should be similar.

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site

So you think I'm asking for too much out of this camera in this phone? I just figured that I would be able to zoom in 400% and still have details. The RAW images I took appear to be better in quality but the JPEG ones definitely lack some of it. It's almost as if Apple is overdoing it on the JPEG compression big time.

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site

400% is already the problem. Doing that even on a high end camera will show degraded quality in JPG.
The difference is, bigger sensors can still capture more details.

RAW files are about 10-15 times bigger in file so that will capture way more detail then JPG but the sensor is still a tiny sensor.

My DSLR takes 50-60MB files in RAW and 5MB in JPG. If RAW didn't show as much detail, RAW is pretty much useless.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Poor image quality... What the heck?

You want to zoom in 400% and still maintain image quality? Not sure if serious. If you are, then yes, you are expecting too much.

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site

I seem to be getting some really poor image quality from my iPhone 7 Plus. When you zoom in on the image its quality goes to crap. I've taken pictures with HDR, no HDR, with flash, no flash, etc. It always seems like the picture comes out blurry and pixelated. I have no idea what's going on here or even how to fix it.

I have attached three pictures that I've taken and they all seem like it was taken by a camera from 10 years ago, not a camera that I would expect to be in a high-end smartphone such as the iPhone 7 Plus.

I think these pictures are very well taken. I would be perfectly happy with them myself. Any picture is going to degrade in quality if you zoom in on it. Even DSLR photos in RAW format.

mmohn01

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site

Digital zoom will never equal optical zoom quality. 400% is a lot to ask of any phone. I doubt there is one out there that will give you the quality you are looking for.

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site

What are you expecting? DSLR quality?
I kinda' sorta' was. They did mention that the dual-camera setup was supposed to provide almost DSLR-like quality.

Maybe I was drinking the Apple Kool-Aid a little bit too much.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Zoom is better than it was before 12 mp. Not great, but much better to a degree. But 400%? They make attachments that will do that and then some.

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site

I kinda' sorta' was. They did mention that the dual-camera setup was supposed to provide almost DSLR-like quality.

Maybe I was drinking the Apple Kool-Aid a little bit too much.

Dual camera is nothing more then a wide angle lens and zoom lens. What people are talking about is portrait mode which emulates a wide open aperture like a DSLR close to a subject so they are in focus and the background is blurry. Something DSLR Zoom lens does at wide open aperture.

No phone will ever come close to the oldest DSLR. Look at the Canon 1D mark 1. Came out in the 98/99 and it's 4.5MP and will outshine any phone sensor.

MP does not mean much. My Canon G1X Mark 2 is also 12MP which is similar to the iPhone. The sensor is over 1" in the Canon and the iPhone is a small fraction of that so the Canon will outshine the phone any day.

Don't ever listen to Apples marketing. They say a lot of this to market to people and they do a good job at it. Remember, their salary and bonuses are based on what they sell you so the better they sell, the more they make. Not just Apple but a lot of companies.

knoxDavid

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site

With the 7 plus I get great pics with no zoom or just the optical zoom (2x). It seems to do pretty good only up to 4x (now it is using digital zoom) but anything more and you will notice a reduction in image quality. I prefer to keep zoom levels low and just crop to frame.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com

With regards to the second and third photos specifically, the lighting looks a little tricky. You've got light coming in from the stained glass, artificial light overhead, and multiple tiny points of light from the decorations. That would be a difficult photo to get right without a tripod. The tiniest bit of shake would affect the outcome. You'd probably be better off using a 3rd party app for a photo like those to be honest. Something with more manual controls than the stock app allows for. Also resting the phone itself or your arms on one of the pews should help keep everything more steady.

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site

What do you think of this? I took this in the back parking lot of a local post office.

Attachments

• IMG_0323.jpg
    IMG_0323.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77