iPhone Users: Tell Me Why I Should Switch to iPhone

pantlesspenguin

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I initially wrote this post on Crackberry on a post about iPhone/iOS, then I posted it here in another thread, and I'll post it again. These are my reasons:

This is anecdotal, because it's just my experience, but...

I got my first iPhone last year on launch day (Sept 25th) after using Sidekick, BlackBerry, and Android up until that point. For nearly an entire year I used it thinking it was a great phone but not really anything that special. Then something occurred to me. I have had absolutely no problems with it. I can't even count how many warranty replacements of various phones I've had throughout the years. It seems like after a few months SOMETHING would go wrong with nearly every phone I've ever had, whether it was random battery drains (LG G2), random glitches (like the Sony Xperia Z erasing my memory cards), GPS refusing to hold a lock while in motion (Samsung Note 4), horrible lag (HTC Sensation), bad light bleed at the bottom of the phone (HTC Amaze), creaking bezel and wobbly trackpad (BlackBerry 9700), etc. But everything works on my 6s+ as it did the day I got it.

Then the Note 7 caught my eye and I picked one of those up the week it launched. It was an AWESOME phone. It was like they ironed out all the kinks that I experienced on my Note 4. However, I noticed something interesting that I hadn't noticed when I initially switched to iPhone. The apps on Android aren't as robust as their iPhone counterparts. I noticed several featured missing in the apps I used daily that I had taken for granted. These features made the iOS app easier to use for me, and I don't really understand why they aren't included on the Android version. Well, we all knew what happened with the Note 7 lol, and back onto my 6s+ I went, and I did so with a new appreciation for the phone. I just placed an order for an iPhone 7+, as well.

Are there things that I wish iOS did differently? Sure. The biggest perk of Android is customization, and I definitely don't have much ability to do so on iOS. But, that's something I can live without to get everything else that the iPhone offers.

Edited to add: Another thing about the iPhone that I REALLY appreciate is timely OS updates. No more waiting for my carrier to pick through an update before sending it out to customers.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I initially wrote this post on Crackberry on a post about iPhone/iOS, then I posted it here in another thread, and I'll post it again. These are my reasons:

This is anecdotal, because it's just my experience, but...

I got my first iPhone last year on launch day (Sept 25th) after using Sidekick, BlackBerry, and Android up until that point. For nearly an entire year I used it thinking it was a great phone but not really anything that special. Then something occurred to me. I have had absolutely no problems with it. I can't even count how many warranty replacements of various phones I've had throughout the years. It seems like after a few months SOMETHING would go wrong with nearly every phone I've ever had, whether it was random battery drains (LG G2), random glitches (like the Sony Xperia Z erasing my memory cards), GPS refusing to hold a lock while in motion (Samsung Note 4), horrible lag (HTC Sensation), bad light bleed at the bottom of the phone (HTC Amaze), creaking bezel and wobbly trackpad (BlackBerry 9700), etc. But everything works on my 6s+ as it did the day I got it.

Then the Note 7 caught my eye and I picked one of those up the week it launched. It was an AWESOME phone. It was like they ironed out all the kinks that I experienced on my Note 4. However, I noticed something interesting that I hadn't noticed when I initially switched to iPhone. The apps on Android aren't as robust as their iPhone counterparts. I noticed several featured missing in the apps I used daily that I had taken for granted. These features made the iOS app easier to use for me, and I don't really understand why they aren't included on the Android version. Well, we all knew what happened with the Note 7 lol, and back onto my 6s+ I went, and I did so with a new appreciation for the phone. I just placed an order for an iPhone 7+, as well.

Are there things that I wish iOS did differently? Sure. The biggest perk of Android is customization, and I definitely don't have much ability to do so on iOS. But, that's something I can live without to get everything else that the iPhone offers.

Edited to add: Another thing about the iPhone that I REALLY appreciate is timely OS updates. No more waiting for my carrier to pick through an update before sending it out to customers.

I've noticed the difference in apps as well. I've even emailed developers about the lack of functionality on Android.

Another thing I've noticed on iOS vs. Android is consistency within apps. Almost every app I use follows Apple guidelines for design. That means that all apps have the same basic control scheme and UI. On Android some of my apps follow Material guidelines, some don't. Some look like Kit Kat, some look like Marshmallow, and very few follow Nougat's feature set. I will admit I like Material Design over iOS's design choices, but at least on iOS everything is consistent.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
You have a Priv. That should be reason enough to switch over to iPhone. :p

In all seriousness, the iPhone 7 Plus has so much better hardware specs than the Priv, including: better cameras, IP67 rating, stereo speakers, better build quality, fingerprint sensor...I could go on and on.

angusmatheson

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all your responses so far! I think Imessage is certainly a great selling feature for the iPhone. I have many family members using iPhones also and I must admit, Imessage is fantastic.

It is interesting, but not too long ago BB messenger was that messaging device that everyone was using and stopped people from leaving BB.

Tre Lawrence

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed the difference in apps as well. I've even emailed developers about the lack of functionality on Android.

Another thing I've noticed on iOS vs. Android is consistency within apps. Almost every app I use follows Apple guidelines for design. That means that all apps have the same basic control scheme and UI. On Android some of my apps follow Material guidelines, some don't. Some look like Kit Kat, some look like Marshmallow, and very few follow Nougat's feature set. I will admit I like Material Design over iOS's design choices, but at least on iOS everything is consistent.

Fair point. It's getting better on Android, but I agree with the consistency aspect.

sempot

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
I don't think that ios is less buggy than android. Ios is actually as buggy as android imo. I have used android for 6 years and i feel like there are some things that ios can and android can't, vice versa.

Tl;dr: iOS is comparable to android these few years. Depends on your ecosystem of choice really.

matboud

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
I started with BlackBerry then went to Android for the longest time while I hated Apple's "You don't know what you like, we'll tell you what you like" phase. Now that I see them really listening to their customers and doing what they've always done great in software and hardware, I made the jump. I have to say that I love it. Funny now that people that know me don't believe that I made the switch. I'd say give it a try, you may find that you really like it.

Lory Gil

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
My favorite part of owning Apple devices is the ecosystem. I love that my photos, apps, podcasts, ebooks, and music are all available on all of my devices. I can buy a movie on my Mac and watch it on my Apple TV. I don't have to download anything. It's just there. When I discover a new band while using Apple Music on my iPad, I can add it to my library and it will be on my iPhone, where I can download it and listen offline. My partner has an iPhone and we can share content, too. When I buy an app, he can use it on his iPhone without having to pay for it. Of course, this means you'd have to invest in the Apple ecosystem. But, if you do switch to iPhone, it'll just be a matter of time before you start wanting all of the other Apple products, too. :)

Shanicenicolle

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I actually went from Blackberry to iPhone. Dabble with android here and there but always end up back on iPhone. It's a solid phone and works when I need it to. My main pull away from android usually were issues with GPS and call quality and I use both a lot (granted I always went Samsung and I suspect that's my issue).

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but I would say the Apple Store. I had a note 3 and had to get refurbished from an At&t store. A few days later I was still having a problem. At least with apple you get good service and parts. Hope this helps.

Plus all your devices if their apple will sync together.

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
As a longtime BlackBerry user I never tried Android ,never cared to came straight to Apple and I am completely satisfied finally getting frequent updates directly from manufacturer no more waiting for buggy updates from carrier all my family and friends use Apple and this makes messaging a lot easier I purchased a 6s in march and it has performed flawlessly .

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but I would say the Apple Store. I had a note 3 and had to get refurbished from an At&t store. A few days later I was still having a problem. At least with apple you get good service and parts. Hope this helps.

Plus all your devices if their apple will sync together.

This is a big one for me too. I have been pretty fortunate with my phones, but having access to the Apple Store or even Apple's customer service online or on the phone is huge. I have had nothing but good experiences with Apple's service.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Being a Blackberry user and iPhone owner I can honestly say the iPhone is a better working device with little or no glitches. As I type this on my Priv in the long run stick with works best for you.

Larry Cook1

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
In my opinion no one can make the decision except yourself. What you need in a smart phone won't be the same as someone else needs.

cajunrph

Sep 29, 2009
Visit site
I've had them all. Started off with a Palm Treo. I've had BlackBerry, first generation iPhone and Android, had a Palm Pre that I loved, back to iPhone and androids. I've just returned to iPhones. My last Android was a Nexus 6. I got tired of the non Nexus phones long lag in receiving the latest Android updates. Every time a new versions came out my non Nexus phone was just updating to the previous version that was going to the Nexus phones. They were also dog slow after a year. Nothing would help it. The straw that broke the camel's back was when my Nexus had wait for the update to Marshmallow. My son has a Nexus 5x and his updated more than a month before I got the download. And my Nexus was getting very slow. Forget about taking pictures if you needed it quickly. The app would crash half the time and the other half it would take almost a minute processing the pic before you could take another one. And this was with the supposed bad arise processor. I had an iPhone 5s in between my androids but left due to the lack of apps I used on android. My daughter was bugging me for weeks about getting an iPhone. I kept on telling her no. We were an android family and we were going to stay that way. Everyone else was iPhones though. Her boy friend, her future step sister, her grandparents. We were the lone island of Android. Her phone was getting slow too so she was due for one. There wasn't much to choose from. The Note was gone and although the LG phone looked good, I was leery of it bogging down after a year. I got her the iPhone. As I was in the AT&T store checking out the phones I decided to look up what apps they had. I typed in Amazon. Lo and behold the first hit was Amazon Music, second was Amazon Prime. What the heck is Apple doing I thought. I searched Google also and bam, all the Google apps are there. Apple has opened up it's walled garden and allowed the competition in. On the outside it looks like a poor business decision as it would take away sales from iTunes. Upon further review it's actually a stroke of genius. They increase their customer base by letting those services in but the same time denying their services(iMessage) to the Google app store. So I decided to take the plunge and got a 7 plus in the matte black finish. I do look forward to the timely updates and having fast phone again. For a while it looked like android was going to drown Apple. But Apple kept on top and is now, at least for this long time hardened Android veteran, a far superior product. If I was the OP you know what I'd do. So just go ahead and do it.

andrewoleynik

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
I love the worry free operation of it. I used to be into customizing everything with windows but that often meant that the comp wouldn't perform well due to user error and the fact that I always wanted every feature on. With iPhone I can have every feature and i am not afraid to mess something up

schlendrake

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
I'm currently an android user using a Blackberry Priv. It has actually been a solid device, but I'm not 100% sold on Android. I've previously been a blackberry user my whole life, and to have apps on a blackberry was a great feeling. I do love the customization capabilities of Android. However, I'd like to hear first hand from you guys the biggest reasons you use an iPhone over any other device. Perhaps give me a few main features that you love on iOS that may work better than another platform? I'd genuinely like to know! Thanks.

Don't do it. Run far away. I have a 6s and have nothing but problems. This is my second one and it's nothing but aggravation. The issues I have are
1) Volume cuts out whenever it wants
2) alarm doesn't always ring, made me late for work on several occasions and had to go buy an alarm clock
3) apps open and close when they want
4) screen locks up for no reason
5) consistently have to reboot
6) touch screen doesn't always respond

The rest of my family have Motorola turbos, 4 to be exact, and have had no problems at all. I want to switch to a droid but the owner of the property I work at purchased it for me so I don't want to offend him.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner