Auto Brightness toggle missing.

Wallace

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Not sure where is the best place to post this, but here goes,

I have a new iPhone 7 Plus - great phone and am well pleased with it, but I noticed that the Auto Brightness toggle option is missing in Settings> Display & Brightness.

I can manually adjust the brightness setting, but it does not appear to auto adjust. I am running iOS 10.1.1 (build 14B150)

I have tried a hard reset, but it's still missing.

Any ideas why it's not there and how I can get it back please?

Thanks

rdstryr

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
10.1.1 here and the option is showing for me. Might have to try Reset All Settings. Back up your phone first just to be safe.

Wallace

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
10.1.1 here and the option is showing for me. Might have to try Reset All Settings. Back up your phone first just to be safe.

OK. If I backup then Reset All Settings and the Auto-Brightness toggle is still missing, when I restore from that backup, will ALL my previous setting still be there?

If Reset-All works then I obviously won't restore.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
OK. If I backup then Reset All Settings and the Auto-Brightness toggle is still missing, when I restore from that backup, will ALL my previous setting still be there?

If Reset-All works then I obviously won't restore.

Reset all settings doesn't delete any data. Just settings, including wifi connections. It's a good first step to solving a problem without losing everything. If this doesn't work, I'd take it in to a store, there could be a hardware issue.

If you use the erase all content option, that would clear everything (obviously), and restoring from a backup would put all your settings back (not security things like fingerprints for Touch ID), including what is probably not showing you the auto-brightness toggle. I wouldn't go that route, really.

Wallace

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Reset all settings doesn't delete any data. Just settings, including wifi connections. It's a good first step to solving a problem without losing everything. If this doesn't work, I'd take it in to a store, there could be a hardware issue.

If you use the erase all content option, that would clear everything (obviously), and restoring from a backup would put all your settings back (not security things like fingerprints for Touch ID), including what is probably not showing you the auto-brightness toggle. I wouldn't go that route, really.

OK. Just done a Reset-All-Settings.

Auto-Brightness toggle is still missing.

Don't want to return it as its the only thing that isn't working as it should. I will just 'put up with it'.

Thanks for your help.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
OK. Just done a Reset-All-Settings.

Auto-Brightness toggle is still missing.

Don't want to return it as its the only thing that isn't working as it should. I will just 'put up with it'.

Thanks for your help.

Your warranty covers that. Exchange it, not return :) just back it up first and restore it to the new one.

rdstryr

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I did a google search last night about this and the majority of the results were logic board failure. It's probably best that you take it in and exchange it for a new one.

Wallace

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Thanks. I had a WebChat with Apple support. They remote accessed my phone and did indeed have diagnosed a hardware problem. Trouble is, no appointments available at the near future at my two nearest Apple stores.

I will keep trying. The phone work fine, only the ambient light sensor/connection is faulty.

Wallace

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
I decided to attack it from a different angle.

As the phone is less than two weeks old, I called my carrier, O2, from where I got the phone on contract. As there is a cooling off period of 30 days, they will replace the faulty phone like-for-like and send it to my home.

There is a delay of about tree weeks due to demand for the 7 Plus, but that isn't a issue for me as, in reality, apart from the Auto-Brightness not working, its a perfect phone.

He didn't do any diagnostics with me, just taking my word that I had chatted to Apple last night and their remote diagnostics confirmed the problem, which is the truth anyway.

It is better to have it replaced. If the ambient light sensor or connection is faulty, it could indicate further issues down the line.

I know this might sound silly, but I am still wondering if a software bug could cause this. I don't have much faith in iOS 10.

The whole reason for me getting a 7 Plus was to replace my 6S that was shutting off at silly battery percentages that had only started to happen since the iOS 10 upgrade form iOS 9.

It was a good excuse, as I really wanted a 7 Plus, lol.

Thanks for all you advice guy's. I appreciate it.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I decided to attack it from a different angle.

As the phone is less than two weeks old, I called my carrier, O2, from where I got the phone on contract. As there is a cooling off period of 30 days, they will replace the faulty phone like-for-like and send it to my home.

There is a delay of about tree weeks due to demand for the 7 Plus, but that isn't a issue for me as, in reality, apart from the Auto-Brightness not working, its a perfect phone.

He didn't do any diagnostics with me, just taking my word that I had chatted to Apple last night and their remote diagnostics confirmed the problem, which is the truth anyway.

It is better to have it replaced. If the ambient light sensor or connection is faulty, it could indicate further issues down the line.

I know this might sound silly, but I am still wondering if a software bug could cause this. I don't have much faith in iOS 10.

The whole reason for me getting a 7 Plus was to replace my 6S that was shutting off at silly battery percentages that had only started to happen since the iOS 10 upgrade form iOS 9.

It was a good excuse, as I really wanted a 7 Plus, lol.

Thanks for all you advice guy's. I appreciate it.

I would definitely replace it. I've been using iOS 10 since the first dev beta and have never heard of this.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
We'd been suggesting that you replace it so glad you decided to do so.

This comment I quoted struck me -- my 6s (1 year old) has been doing the same thing, so I'm currently working on a way to restore it but keep my health data/activity rings before I completely restore it. I only seemed to notice it recently though I do keep it charged most of the time. It's shut off at 31%, ~40%, etc. which was weird. I've been on iOS 10 since the summer so not sure why it has only started to happen (or if I only started to notice it).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73