iPhone 7 Plus sometimes wants passcode to unlock phone.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Very true. However, in the case that I had (and had several times back when I installed Dark Sky), the lock screen had the message that the passcode was required after the phone was restarted. When you have 5 bad Touch ID attempts, the lock screen doesn't have a message about the phone restarting.

There's several reasons why the passcode is required. I don't see it as an issue. When I tried 5 times, it did say the passcode is required. It wasn't a pop up. Just a small message at the top. That was in iOS 9. I haven't tried that in 10.

OK, tried 5 times. IOS 10.1.1.
2ddc3bfae74bd754c8e45fa7e6d99fd1.png

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
There's several reasons why the passcode is required. I don't see it as an issue. When I tried 5 times, it did say the passcode is required. It wasn't a pop up. Just a small message at the top. That was in iOS 9. I haven't tried that in 10.

Now restart your iPhone. You'll see that the message is different (and it doesn't seem that you can take a screenshot of it, either.)

Your phone shouldn't spontaneously restart.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Now restart your iPhone. You'll see that the message is different (and it doesn't seem that you can take a screenshot of it, either.)

Your phone shouldn't spontaneously restart.

It's always required on a restart. I still see the message after a restart. But, no, you can't take a screenshot.
77c2dbdac49b78b8228f1999d11895e6.jpg

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
It's always required on a restart. I still see the message after a restart. But, no, you can't take a screenshot.

So, just to review the thread, the OP says that his phone appears to restart spontaneously and randomly, has anybody seen this? A number of people point out that there is a security setting that requires a passcode if Touch ID isn't used after a timeout, and you pointed out that this could also happen after 5 bad Touch ID attempts. But I answered, yes, I have seen this exact behavior, and it was a restart, because the message at the top of my phone said that Touch ID was disabled after a restart, but that I believe that it was caused after installing the app Dark Sky, because it stopped happening to me after uninstalling the app. The OP replies that he does have Dark Sky installed, but hasn't replied since to see if uninstalling it solved this problem.

Since the OP didn't mention that he had tried to use Touch ID 5 times, I think we can rule that out as a cause, with one possible exception - the phone's display lit up somehow in his pocket with the Touch ID facing toward his body and the Touch ID was able to get a capacitive touch through the material of the pocket 5 times and locked out Touch ID.

I only replied after your 5 bad attempts post because you said that you didn't see it as an issue. My phone was definitely restarting spontaneously, to a lock screen saying that it had restarted, without connectivity to WiFi - so, yes, it was an issue. Don't you agree, or is the phone spontaneously restarting not an issue for you?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So, just to review the thread, the OP says that his phone appears to restart spontaneously and randomly, has anybody seen this? A number of people point out that there is a security setting that requires a passcode if Touch ID isn't used after a timeout, and you pointed out that this could also happen after 5 bad Touch ID attempts. But I answered, yes, I have seen this exact behavior, and it was a restart, because the message at the top of my phone said that Touch ID was disabled after a restart, but that I believe that it was caused after installing the app Dark Sky, because it stopped happening to me after uninstalling the app. The OP replies that he does have Dark Sky installed, but hasn't replied since to see if uninstalling it solved this problem.

Since the OP didn't mention that he had tried to use Touch ID 5 times, I think we can rule that out as a cause, with one possible exception - the phone's display lit up somehow in his pocket with the Touch ID facing toward his body and the Touch ID was able to get a capacitive touch through the material of the pocket 5 times and locked out Touch ID.

I only replied after your 5 bad attempts post because you said that you didn't see it as an issue. My phone was definitely restarting spontaneously, to a lock screen saying that it had restarted, without connectivity to WiFi - so, yes, it was an issue. Don't you agree, or is the phone spontaneously restarting not an issue for you?

At what point does it go "spontaneously" to the passcode pad? Do you touch the home button at all first? Do you mean a reboot of the phone? No, the phone should not reboot. What starts it?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
At what point does it go "spontaneously" to the passcode pad? Do you touch the home button at all first? Do you mean a reboot of the phone? No, the phone should not reboot. What starts it?

At this point, I think you can go back and read all of the previous entries. Even my last post said it - the phone spontaneously resets. I never saw it happen. Pulled the phone out of my pocket (well, once I took it off the charger in the morning), the phone was asking for the passcode at the lock screen when I tapped home. I assume the same for the OP.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
At this point, I think you can go back and read all of the previous entries. Even my last post said it - the phone spontaneously resets. I never saw it happen. Pulled the phone out of my pocket (well, once I took it off the charger in the morning), the phone was asking for the passcode at the lock screen when I tapped home. I assume the same for the OP.

So you don't know what starts it or sets it off? It just happens in your pocket? Odd.

blueshapti

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
How can any state override US constitution and amendments? Same as a state passing law to abridge freedom of speech or freedom of press. It's not constitutional.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
How can any state override US constitution and amendments? Same as a state passing law to abridge freedom of speech or freedom of press. It's not constitutional.

As far as I know, there is no definitive ruling from the US Supreme Court that says that compelling you to reveal a password violates your fifth amendment rights. *I* believe that it does, and I believe that a challenge to the Massachusetts ruling would stand. But my opinion means nothing.

[edit] BTW, this wasn't a law passed in Massachusetts. It was a ruling from the court on a warrant that revealing a password that you know is not self-incrimination, from the Commonwealth's highest court on an appeal.

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
So you don't know what starts it or sets it off? It just happens in your pocket? Odd.

Happened. When I had Dark Sky and 10.0.1 it happened several times. It seemed to stop after uninstalling the app, though it's happened once since, several weeks ago. I may have been running a beta of 10.1 at the time (I've left the beta program since 10.1 was released.)

My phone is eligible for the iPhone 6s battery replacement- I was at the Genius Bar for that yesterday - but that is a different issue. With that, the phone just shuts down at a high battery percentage (70% when it happened to me) and will not turn on again until you plug it in (it shows the plug into power graphic.) With this issue, the phone acted as if it power cycled. A few times in my pocket, once when charging overnight.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR