Purchased one off of ebay and I popped my at&t sim inside and it says not compatible. I thought the A1661 models were unlocked? I have been doing some research and someone had said if it was bought outright that it needs to be activated from the carrier that it was purchased from. If it isn;t activated it remains locked, which I find weird since it is an unlocked sim free device per apple.
    11-14-2016 10:39 AM
    It's also the Verizon model.
    So if it was purchased from them, it might require an initial VZW activation before putting another SIM card in.
    11-14-2016 10:59 AM
    I bought a 7 and a 7 Plus, Verizon models, from the Apple Store. Both worked fine and neither was ever activated on Verizon, I just replaced the Verizon SIM card prior to turning them on.
    11-15-2016 10:31 AM
    I bought a 7 and a 7 Plus, Verizon models, from the Apple Store. Both worked fine and neither was ever activated on Verizon, I just replaced the Verizon SIM card prior to turning them on.
    Yeah well apparently this one was bought full retail from metropcs. didn't even know they sold the iPhone 7. they somehow are locked but it's the unlocked model, makes no sense to me. MetroPCS told me I had to have service for 90 days before they can unlock it for me.
    11-15-2016 05:37 PM
    Yeah well apparently this one was bought full retail from metropcs. didn't even know they sold the iPhone 7. they somehow are locked but it's the unlocked model, makes no sense to me. MetroPCS told me I had to have service for 90 days before they can unlock it for me.
    Boo. Have you contacted the seller? Any chance you can go to a metropcs store and ask someone to activate it for you?
    11-15-2016 06:26 PM
    Boo. Have you contacted the seller? Any chance you can go to a metropcs store and ask someone to activate it for you?
    been there done that. Went to metropcs yesterday. The girl there said I have to have their service for 90 days for them to be able to unlock it. The A1661 model says unlocked, yet the carriers can lock it somehow. I don't get it really.
    11-15-2016 07:03 PM
    I bought my sim free iPhone 7 plus jet black from Apple store put my ATT sim card it worked
    11-15-2016 07:52 PM
    I bought my sim free iPhone 7 plus jet black from Apple store put my ATT sim card it worked
    Yeah, I think the problem is that this wasn't bought from the apple store. it was bought directly from MetroPCS
    11-15-2016 07:55 PM
    been there done that. Went to metropcs yesterday. The girl there said I have to have their service for 90 days for them to be able to unlock it. The A1661 model says unlocked, yet the carriers can lock it somehow. I don't get it really.
    Does metropcs have prepaid cards? Wonder if you can buy one of those and use it on prepaid for 90 days and then have it unlocked.
    11-17-2016 05:03 AM
    Does metropcs have prepaid cards? Wonder if you can buy one of those and use it on prepaid for 90 days and then have it unlocked.
    I returned the phone to the seller. Such a headache. I figured that model was "unlocked" so even though it was tied to MetroPCS I would be able to put my Sim in. Apparently this model is still locked if you buy it from a carrier. Lesson learned. I bought an AT&T model from Swappa. Will get it Saturday, so excited to finally ditch my s7 edge
    eyecrispy likes this.
    11-17-2016 06:21 AM
    I returned the phone to the seller. Such a headache. I figured that model was "unlocked" so even though it was tied to MetroPCS I would be able to put my Sim in. Apparently this model is still locked if you buy it from a carrier. Lesson learned. I bought an AT&T model from Swappa. Will get it Saturday, so excited to finally ditch my s7 edge
    Glad the seller was willing to work with you. Enjoy your AT&T device!
    popkurn611 and nikkisharif like this.
    11-17-2016 11:37 AM
    I dont know if this is always the case. It could be because it was a MetroPCS rule or something. I purchased a A1661 model from sams club. The only thing I read online was to just activate it with a inactive verizon sim to make sure it was fully unlocked. Then I stuck my ATT sim in it and it has been working perfectly since. I also did a restore in itunes and it gave me the "congratulations your iphone is unlocked" message. I have tried it with a tmobile sim and all is good.
    11-17-2016 03:25 PM
    I dont know if this is always the case. It could be because it was a MetroPCS rule or something. I purchased a A1661 model from sams club. The only thing I read online was to just activate it with a inactive verizon sim to make sure it was fully unlocked. Then I stuck my ATT sim in it and it has been working perfectly since. I also did a restore in itunes and it gave me the "congratulations your iphone is unlocked" message. I have tried it with a tmobile sim and all is good.
    Interesting, yeah i restored it as well and never got that message so it has something to do with MetroPCS
    11-17-2016 03:33 PM
    All models purchased from apple directly at full retail price or on apples upgrade plan are unlocked.

Any phones purchased from a carrier store are locked regardless if purchased at full price.

If the seller you got it from originally purchased it from metropcs, then it would locked by default regardless if he or she bought it from metro at full retail.
    11-17-2016 07:02 PM
    All models purchased from apple directly at full retail price or on apples upgrade plan are unlocked.

Any phones purchased from a carrier store are locked regardless if purchased at full price.

If the seller you got it from originally purchased it from metropcs, then it would locked by default regardless if he or she bought it from metro at full retail.
    That's a good explanation. So crazy because people on Swappa list that model as unlocked which it is but depends where you bought it from.
    11-17-2016 07:04 PM
    People posting on swappa , Craigslist, etc sometimes are not aware of the whole unlocked vs locked vs carrier-purchased vs apple-purchased. I know it's frustrating to say the least. I'm glad the seller at least refunded you.
    11-17-2016 07:07 PM
    People posting on swappa , Craigslist, etc sometimes are not aware of the whole unlocked vs locked vs carrier-purchased vs apple-purchased. I know it's frustrating to say the least. I'm glad the seller at least refunded you.
    Yea it really is frustrating. Have to do all your research before purchasing. There is only so much you can get out of the seller and I don't blame them for not knowing, it's confusing
    11-17-2016 07:09 PM

With the exception of Verizon. All their iPhones are unlocked.
    popkurn611 likes this.
    11-17-2016 10:07 PM
    With the exception of Verizon. All their iPhones are unlocked.
    Ah yes, you are correct Nikki. I completely forgot about that lol.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    11-17-2016 10:10 PM