How to turn off Live Photos permanently?

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
As commented earlier, you can go to settings < photos camera < preserve settings < switch the live photo setting on. When you turn live photo off that setting will be saved instead of going back to default Live Photos on the next time you open the camera.

Zekar

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Yes.
for some odd reason, Apple chose it as the default. Sorta like forcing you to take a slow mo as default, instead of giving you the choice.
It's easy to turn off, but next time you want to take a pic, there it is, and, if you have to delay your shot while you turn it off, you're screwed.
It's an APP not an operating system.
AND they put major screws on you by obscuring the possible out by hiding it under layers of settings with an absurd mockery of a confusing description. This makes Apple sound undependable
Settings>
Photos&Camera>
Preserve Settings>
Live Photo > Turn ON
"Preserve the Live Photo Setting, rather than automatically reset to Live Photo turned on"
There needs to be a "DISABLE Live Photo" button. Or, this sort of cute photo trick (like bubble or photo distortions) should be an app added by choice.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
As commented earlier, you can go to settings < photos camera < preserve settings < switch the live photo setting on. When you turn live photo off that setting will be saved instead of going back to default Live Photos on the next time you open the camera.

I don't see that in settlngs. Is it new? When I turn live photos off in the camera app, it stays off until I tap to turn it on again.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes.
for some odd reason, Apple chose it as the default. Sorta like forcing you to take a slow mo as default, instead of giving you the choice.
It's easy to turn off, but next time you want to take a pic, there it is, and, if you have to delay your shot while you turn it off, you're screwed.
It's an APP not an operating system.
AND they put major screws on you by obscuring the possible out by hiding it under layers of settings with an absurd mockery of a confusing description. This makes Apple sound undependable
Settings>
Photos&Camera>
Preserve Settings>
Live Photo > Turn ON
"Preserve the Live Photo Setting, rather than automatically reset to Live Photo turned on"
There needs to be a "DISABLE Live Photo" button. Or, this sort of cute photo trick (like bubble or photo distortions) should be an app added by choice.

When I tap to turn live photos off in the camera app, it stays off until I tap on again. I don't see that "preserve setting" in my settings > photos and camera.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
When I tap to turn live photos off in the camera app, it stays off until I tap on again. I don't see that "preserve setting" in my settings > photos and camera.

c60f51f990c7537e72e8174d13b28897.jpg

dee wilkie

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site

That’s not working for me. It still resets to Live Photo.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Actually it is a default. I’ve tried turning it off and it keeps resetting to Live Photo. Even with the Preserve settings turned ON. VERY ANNOYING

Have you tried Reset All Settings?

Go to Settings >General >Reset >Reset All Settings. This resets to default everything in Settings, including notifications, alerts, brightness, and clock settings like wake up alarms.

Then see if it turns off and stays off.
You could also use a 3rd party camera app, like Camera+. I use ProCamera as my default. It does more.

liketotall

Oct 26, 2017
Visit site
Thank you!

I tried this and my phone still goes back to the live setting. If I try to take a photo while using imessage it automatically reverts back to live photo even though I have turned it off in preserved settings. It is so annoying. Does anyone have any idea how to stop this? Or a way to get the camera option not to appear in iMessage?

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I must have turned mine off often enough because it enabled that preserve feature without me doing it. The Live photos by default was quite annoying. Happy it’s off now.

baybean

Nov 4, 2018
Visit site
I have Live Photo off. Camera settings are set to Preserve Settings. I have taken photos with these settings in place (“Live off”) ... still, on my iPad, there it is when camera is open that annoying impossible yellow ring of circles. Arrggghhhhhh!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I keep mine turned off. Live photos will take up more storage space. I only turn it on when I want it live. I have a really cool one of my Christmas tree from a few years ago. Looks cool on my lockscreen.

Stormy Knight

Jun 19, 2018
Visit site
It's in settings. Just go to Settings > Photos & Camera > Preserve Settings, and switch Live Photos to ON. This will preserve whatever you had Live Photos set to the last time you used the Camera app rather than returning to the default setting.

Except thats not PERMANENT. Even with thoae settings, Live will randomly turn back on. Mine just did. Worse, it has actually turned itself on and posted videos I did not know were being taken. Wa-ay too sensitive there on the touch screen! The question is how to make this bug - er, I mean feature - no, sod it, I do mean bug - go away forever, never to be turned on again?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Except thats not PERMANENT. Even with thoae settings, Live will randomly turn back on. Mine just did. Worse, it has actually turned itself on and posted videos I did not know were being taken. Wa-ay too sensitive there on the touch screen! The question is how to make this bug - er, I mean feature - no, sod it, I do mean bug - go away forever, never to be turned on again?

That’s definitely odd.
I use my iPhone’s camera everyday multiple times and not one single time Live Photo’s has been enabled without me doing so.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2