Do you leave apps running in the background or close them?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I always closed apps when I was done using them because I thought having them up running drains the battery faster (expecially ones that use GPS locations). But now I might leave a few running since folks are saying IOS handles apps pretty well and automatically closes older apps etc.

How do you know which ones are running? They need to do that. They don't use as much battery as you think. What causes apps to use a lot of battery are push notifications and location services. Most apps sitting in multitasking are not doing anything. They stay in a suspended state.

jarnold96

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
I always leave apps running in the background until I notice my laptop getting noticeably slower haha, probably not the best idea but I just like having things open for the convenience of accessing them much easier.

khkeet

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
I never close an app unless it's acting up. iOS handles memory quite well on its own. Actually, closing out apps can hurt battery life because your phone has to reload an app every time you use it rather than simply calling it back up from the background.

I don't usually close them, but every once and a while I will realize there are 15+ apps opened, and will close them all. But if what Rob says about battery life for re-opening is true, that is an excellent reason to keep them opened!

FaisDogg

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
First screenshot with some apps running in background, second with all closed.
Compare RAM usage and CPU. Btw I usually close apps.
d47c2d75841337d5826fc865be4c17a8.png
bf46d4f19bfa98c68fc68f96c8155ad2.png

dpham00

Trusted Member
Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely. But the only way to solve this is to uninstall them. Closing them will only make them use more resources to restart.
I mean close them when they go wild. As in the phone getting warm even with screen off. In this instance, closing the app would save resources. Normally though I never close any apps.

felloffthetruck

iPhone 7 Plus Champion
Champion
Oct 15, 2014
Visit site

FaisDogg

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
What widgets are those?
Will the batteries widget not show up without the watch connected?

The top one is from an app called "Vidgets", batteries widget only shows up when it needs to display batteries of more than one devices. battery displays on the top only when it's the only thing to display, kinda makes sense.

jlgraham

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Turn Background App Refresh on for Snapchat and it will be more efficient. They don't run in the background just to use battery. They actually don't use that much. A rogue app might, or one that misbehaves in some way. I did that with Facebook for a while. Then discovered it made no difference with my battery. The main battery killers with apps are location services and push notifications, not running in the background.

Interesting... I do currently have background refresh turned off for Snapchat, so I may give this a try, but do you have more info as to how turning ON background app refresh will help Snapchat to be more efficient?

I started force closing Snapchat months ago (IIRC iMore recommended doing so) after I found it was consistently using more battery than seemed OK given my usage of the app. Since I've started force closing it, the percentage of battery it uses has stayed down, and I haven't noticed any problems with it misbehaving (i.e. missing notifications, etc).

I understand they don't run in the background JUST to use battery, that would be ridiculous. I just assumed it was poor programming and/or it was preloading content unnecessarily or something of that nature. I.e. I considered it to be a rogue/misbehaving app.