Applecare+ and cosmetic damages on phones..

miumui

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
I'm curious, Has anyone used their applecare+ for a replacement of their phone because of cosmetic damages?

I've seen people who keeps saying they because they have applecare, they are happy to use their phones naked and when it's all scratched and dinged up, bring it in and pay the $ for another phone.

But when I check with the genius bar.. They tell me I can't? Is there a secret code I have to say?? 😁😂

dpham00

Trusted Member
Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Normal wear and tear and cosmetic damage isn't covered. Many people don't mind some minor cosmetic damage and only worry about a cracked screen...

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm curious, Has anyone used their applecare+ for a replacement of their phone because of cosmetic damages?

I've seen people who keeps saying they because they have applecare, they are happy to use their phones naked and when it's all scratched and dinged up, bring it in and pay the $ for another phone.

But when I check with the genius bar.. They tell me I can't? Is there a secret code I have to say?? ����
Actually accidental damage is covered. I had my iPhone 6s Plus 64GB replaced for purely cosmetic damage due to a drop. I dropped the phone on tiles and banged up a corner, not much damage, but damage nevertheless. I just openly said that I dropped the phone and want to replace it. They inspected it, said looks like drop damage, and gave me a new phone.

Carefully read the AppleCare+ T&Cs. The coverage is actually very good and very little falls under the "normal wear and tear" clause.

miumui

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
Actually accidental damage is covered. I had my iPhone 6s Plus 64GB replaced for purely cosmetic damage due to a drop. I dropped the phone on tiles and banged up a corner, not much damage, but damage nevertheless. I just openly said that I dropped the phone and want to replace it. They inspected it, said looks like drop damage, and gave me a new phone.

Carefully read the AppleCare+ T&Cs. The coverage is actually very good and very little falls under the "normal wear and tear" clause.

Really? They didn't ask Anything more? Like if the unit is not functioning?

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site

It will cover physical damage, even if the phone is functioning fine. It won't cover cosmetic wear and tear from normal usage, but it will cover physical damage caused by an accidental occurrence (i.e. drops).

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
No, the unit was functioning perfectly. In fact I made a point of emphasizing that I am only doing this because of aesthetic reasons. The damage was annoying me and since it happened as a result of an accident I was fully within my rights to ask for accidental damage coverage. There was no discussion, other than the rep suggesting that I may want to conserve the replacement for an instance where I actually have damage that makes the phone less usable or unusable. I noted the suggestion but said that since I have 2 replacements and I am normally extremely careful with my phones it is unlikely that I will have to use more than 1 replacement ever during a life cycle of a phone.

It will cover physical damage, even if the phone is functioning fine. It won't cover cosmetic wear and tear from normal usage, but it will cover physical damage caused by an accidental occurrence (i.e. drops).
Correct. Cosmetic wear and tear (i.e., light scratches on the body, screen, etc. are not covered). Any bumps and bruises, cracks, etc. are all covered.

miumui

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
Correct. Cosmetic wear and tear (i.e., light scratches on the body, screen, etc. are not covered). Any bumps and bruises, cracks, etc. are all covered.

Woah!! Thanks! It's fantastic to know!!!!

dpham00

Trusted Member
Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
No, the unit was functioning perfectly. In fact I made a point of emphasizing that I am only doing this because of aesthetic reasons. The damage was annoying me and since it happened as a result of an accident I was fully within my rights to ask for accidental damage coverage. There was no discussion, other than the rep suggesting that I may want to conserve the replacement for an instance where I actually have damage that makes the phone less usable or unusable. I noted the suggestion but said that since I have 2 replacements and I am normally extremely careful with my phones it is unlikely that I will have to use more than 1 replacement ever during a life cycle of a phone.

I have a feeling that different reps may have different interpretations on this.

shadowboxer8

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Well this makes me really glad I got the applecare plus which I think covers me for two years. I use a case for my 7 plus anyway but just having the piece of mind is great since I plan to keep this phone for at least two years before upgrading again.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I have a feeling that different reps may have different interpretations on this.

I know what you mean.. Some reps are quite lenient.

It has nothing to do with lenient. An accident is an accident. A banged up phone with a clear dent in the body, albeit small, is not normal wear and tear. Until such time that Apple defines throwing your phone on the ground as being normal wear and tear it will always be considered accidental damage. Some reps may be more difficult than others but transparency and persistence are key.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
The issue here is to remember that you only get 2 claims. So although I have AppleCare+, I don't use that as a reason to be any less careful with my device. Ideally I would like to go through two years without having ever used a claim.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
The issue here is to remember that you only get 2 claims. So although I have AppleCare+, I don't use that as a reason to be any less careful with my device. Ideally I would like to go through two years without having ever used a claim.
2 replacements is a lot if you are generally careful.

dpham00

Trusted Member
Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
It has nothing to do with lenient. An accident is an accident. A banged up phone with a clear dent in the body, albeit small, is not normal wear and tear. Until such time that Apple defines throwing your phone on the ground as being normal wear and tear it will always be considered accidental damage. Some reps may be more difficult than others but transparency and persistence are key.

Which sounds to be a pain you deal with. I mean for bigger damage it isn't a problem but for very small damage, it could be a hassle.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Which sounds to be a pain you deal with. I mean for bigger damage it isn't a problem but for very small damage, it could be a hassle.
Doesn't change the fact that it is still worth it. Of course you can get a bad apple here and there, no pun intended. They still have to honour the warranty at the end of the day.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Getting them to do it is the problem...

It's not. Why do you keep saying that. If you ever run into a problem just pull out the T&Cs in front of them and voila. It's actually a lot more black and white than you think. The normal wear and tear is never physical damage to your phone. It is not intended to be kicked or bounced around. Scratches are the issue because people want the use accidental damage for scratches, and even that you can argue if you're persistent enough.

dpham00

Trusted Member
Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
It's not. Why do you keep saying that. If you ever run into a problem just pull out the T&Cs in front of them and voila. It's actually a lot more black and white than you think. The normal wear and tear is never physical damage to your phone. It is not intended to be kicked or bounced around. Scratches are the issue because people want the use accidental damage for scratches, and even that you can argue if you're persistent enough.

Again... It is to their discretion. Say it is dropped and has just a very minor scratch only visible under a flash light. I can see them denying that claim. Sure you can be persistent and might win... But it could be a lot of hassle

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2