Switched from android my 2 week review

MrJizac

Oct 27, 2016
Visit site
I love my 256GB silver iPhone 7 Plus. I was a huge Samsung fan for years and ever since the Note7 debacle, there wasn't a phone that was good enough for me except the iPhone 7 Plus. I love that the apps on the iPhone are so much better than the apps on Android. I love how fast it is. I love that it has water resistance. I love the cameras.

But I agree with your gripes about iOS. I hate that I have to go through iTunes to add anything, but that's only a minor thing. The rest of the experience has been amazing.

I was considering the Pixel/Pixel XL to use alongside my iPhone 7 Plus, but it's lacking a bunch of hardware features that are on my iPhone 7 Plus and I cannot justify the price.

I just returned my Pixel XL this morning to Google. I couldn't help myself but get back to my iPhone 7 PLUS. The pixel was lacking a lot I found, especially in the apps. Plus the Google assistant was really sketchy and didn't work 25% of the time.

MrJizac

Oct 27, 2016
Visit site
I wrote this on another forum, but this is my experience switching from Android to iOS:

This is anecdotal, because it's just my experience, but...

I got my first iPhone last year on launch day (Sept 25th) after using Sidekick, BlackBerry, and Android up until that point. For nearly an entire year I used it thinking it was a great phone but not really anything that special. Then something occurred to me. I have had absolutely no problems with it. I can't even count how many warranty replacements of various phones I've had throughout the years. It seems like after a few months SOMETHING would go wrong with nearly every phone I've ever had, whether it was random battery drains (LG G2), random glitches (like the Sony Xperia Z erasing my memory cards), GPS refusing to hold a lock while in motion (Samsung Note 4), horrible lag (HTC Sensation), bad light bleed at the bottom of the phone (HTC Amaze), creaking bezel and wobbly trackpad (BlackBerry 9700), etc. But everything works on my 6s+ as it did the day I got it.

Then the Note 7 caught my eye and I picked one of those up the week it launched. It was an AWESOME phone. It was like they ironed out all the kinks that I experienced on my Note 4. However, I noticed something interesting that I hadn't noticed when I initially switched to iPhone. The apps on Android aren't as robust as their iPhone counterparts. I noticed several featured missing in the apps I used daily that I had taken for granted. These features made the iOS app easier to use for me, and I don't really understand why they aren't included on the Android version. Well, we all knew what happened with the Note 7 lol, and back onto my 6s+ I went, and I did so with a new appreciation for the phone. I just placed an order for an iPhone 7+, as well.

Are there things that I wish iOS did differently? Sure. The biggest perk of Android is customization, and I definitely don't have much ability to do so on iOS. But, that's something I can live without to get everything else that the iPhone offers.

Edited to add: Another thing about the iPhone that I REALLY appreciate is timely OS updates. No more waiting for my carrier to pick through an update before sending it out to customers.

My experience exactly. Its so reassuring that someone else has experienced and gone through the exact stuff I have. So many issues with Android devices, always repairing or replacing them. Bought a iPhone 6S PLUS last year, didn't have a single issue, bought an iPhone 7 PLUS at launch and still haven't had any issues! Its so amazing not having to factory reset or wipe your phone to make everything work smoothly again!

Lyall Demorrow

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
I agree that the apps are way better on iOS. My bank's app for example, is 3x faster on my iPhone. I use LastPass with fingerprint on both platforms and it takes 20-21 seconds to get into the app on android and 7 seconds to load the app on iPhone. Ridiculous. My wife and I also use OneDrive for photo storage. On iOS, OneDrive is beautiful and smooth. On android the app is hideous and laggy. I don't understand how the same app can be so different.

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I wrote this on another forum, but this is my experience switching from Android to iOS:

I got my first iPhone last year on launch day (Sept 25th) after using Sidekick, BlackBerry, and Android up until that point. For nearly an entire year I used it thinking it was a great phone but not really anything that special. Then something occurred to me. I have had absolutely no problems with it. I can't even count how many warranty replacements of various phones I've had throughout the years. It seems like after a few months SOMETHING would go wrong with nearly every phone I've ever had, whether it was random battery drains (LG G2), random glitches (like the Sony Xperia Z erasing my memory cards), GPS refusing to hold a lock while in motion (Samsung Note 4), horrible lag (HTC Sensation), bad light bleed at the bottom of the phone (HTC Amaze), creaking bezel and wobbly trackpad (BlackBerry 9700), etc. But everything works on my 6s+ as it did the day I got it.

Then the Note 7 caught my eye and I picked one of those up the week it launched. It was an AWESOME phone. It was like they ironed out all the kinks that I experienced on my Note 4. However, I noticed something interesting that I hadn't noticed when I initially switched to iPhone. The apps on Android aren't as robust as their iPhone counterparts. I noticed several featured missing in the apps I used daily that I had taken for granted. These features made the iOS app easier to use for me, and I don't really understand why they aren't included on the Android version. Well, we all knew what happened with the Note 7 lol, and back onto my 6s+ I went, and I did so with a new appreciation for the phone. I just placed an order for an iPhone 7+, as well.

Are there things that I wish iOS did differently? Sure. The biggest perk of Android is customization, and I definitely don't have much ability to do so on iOS. But, that's something I can live without to get everything else that the iPhone offers.

Edited to add: Another thing about the iPhone that I REALLY appreciate is timely OS updates. No more waiting for my carrier to pick through an update before sending it out to customers.

This is probably my biggest thing about the iPhone is the timely OS updates. No manufacturer or carrier to deal with in the chain. They just come straight to you. Not nearly as much customization, but it makes up for it with smoothness and the fact that it just simply works.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Flipping spot on!

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
I just like being able to have my phone the way I want for an easy life instead of turning something on and off when I need it. There's also no need to optimize it since it already is. Lack of customization is part of iOS but so it a buttery smooth OS.

The only thing I do miss is quick charge but with a battery life this good, it's rare that I charge it after a work day.

bennu901

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
I just returned my Pixel XL this morning to Google. I couldn't help myself but get back to my iPhone 7 PLUS. The pixel was lacking a lot I found, especially in the apps. Plus the Google assistant was really sketchy and didn't work 25% of the time.

Yeah I went back and forth about the pixel but the following things killed it for me in comparison with the iPhone 7plus ...storage I have 256gb I download all my music and YouTube videos for offline listening and viewing and I shoot all my videos in 4K now so there is no need to worry about space, on a 32gb device forget about it ,128gb would be cool but I would've had to wait until they were in stock.. build quality.. pixel doesn't compare imo , resale !! The pixel will be lucky to be worth 300$ next year with the outdated hardware they launched with sorry .. when I get ready to sale my 7plus 256 I'm sure I'll be able to get 650-750 for it ...googles assistant is nice but you can download allo and have it so what's the point ...price pixel xl 128gb is 850$ iPhone 7 plus 256gb is 969 , the pixel doesn't offer enough to be priced so close to the top of the line iPhone ...those are the things that made my decision easier

iVincam

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
So I am also thinking of switching from an Android to IOS. Would you still recommend the Iphone even if Samsung was able to guarantee with positive results that the next flagship phone wouldn't exploded? I happen to go to a school that required a Mac computer to be purchased and used, so I understand the benefits of getting an Iphone to sync to my computer, but I always did like the creative flair of Samsung's phones. However my current choice of the Lg G5 in place of my note isn't cutting it for me. So is the compromise worth it?

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
So I am also thinking of switching from an Android to IOS. Would you still recommend the Iphone even if Samsung was able to guarantee with positive results that the next flagship phone wouldn't exploded? I happen to go to a school that required a Mac computer to be purchased and used, so I understand the benefits of getting an Iphone to sync to my computer, but I always did like the creative flair of Samsung's phones. However my current choice of the Lg G5 in place of my note isn't cutting it for me. So is the compromise worth it?

No android phone in history, including the Pixel line, can even hold a candle to the iPhone 7 Plus. There is no compromise. Try one for a day, you'll agree.

YankInDaSouth

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site

I switched from the S7 Edge (and 7 +/- years of strictly Android devices) to the iP7+ and have been very impressed!! Are there things I miss? Sure, but after use those things become fewer and fewer ... The good definitely outweighs the bad IMO.

I say give it a try if you're willing ... Just go into it with an open mind as there will certainly be an adjustment period. Personally, I have been enjoying the challenge of the OS switch ... It's kinda fun being a noob again LOL

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Heads up this post is NOT grammatical correct lol. Brainstorming.

I was/am a habitually switcher as well. I did buy my first iphone which was an iphone 6+, then iphone 6s+, now iphone 7+. Between 2008 and now, I've been through numerous android phones, I mean a mind boggling amount of androids and none really fulfilled what I was looking for. Sometimes I would go through 4 android phones a year trying to get that fix lol. The Note 7 was a very good phone and Im almost positive I wouldnt have come to iphone if they didnt catch fire. But I think I've finally found a home now.

What I love:
So smooth and fast
Frequent updates
water resistance
loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong battery life
better apps
great camera
most technology and accessories caters towards the iphone. for instance, my motorcycle bluetooth helmet sucks with androids. works flawlessly with iphones
more secure
app exclusives normally are on iphone first
stereo speakers
simple enough to use, not wasting time trying to figure out what is draining your battery
imessage................too many other features to name

What I don't love:
I don't have very many cons, because ios works so well for me.
Again like others, lack of a file system is huge for me because of the business im in, but I use box, dropbox, and google drive for cloud storage.
No fast and wireless charging.
Amoled display.
One wish is to move my icons where i want them to. I know there are ways to do it, but I wish it was natively baked in.
the price of the phone
itunes
camera roll, I HATE CAMERA ROLL WITH A PASSION. Prayerfully one day when we import pictures we can edit them, move them, do whatever we want with them.

There is a file system, but for the life of me I've never understood the fascination with having access to it. If you use a charger that came with an iPad or another 2 amp charger, the iPhone will charge faster. Granted, it's still not fast charging, but I've never had a problem with not having it. And iTunes is vastly superior to anything on the Android side.

pantlesspenguin

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
No android phone in history, including the Pixel line, can even hold a candle to the iPhone 7 Plus. There is no compromise. Try one for a day, you'll agree.

The Note 7 was right on up there. It was a fantastic device, and probably the best Android device I had ever used in the couple weeks I had it before the recall. But, I'm like 95% sure the iPhone would have held up much better over time.

erwaso

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I've always had an iPhone given by my work(4S, 5S and now 6S) but never wanted it as a personal device. That was strictly android.

For similar reasons I've gone to the iPhone 7+ and the main pro is the super battery and camera (which is even better now with portrait mode)

Main con though is the inability to drag and drop files into folders and attaching certain file types into emails.

About the fast charging, I've noticed it charges fast to about 50-60% then slows down. Also I use 2.4A chargers to quicken it up.

dpham00

Trusted Member
Apr 2, 2014
Visit site

Well no one can guarantee that a phone won't explode 100%. Even the iPhone has exploded.

LDYNREDD

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I have been on Blackberry for years and loved being able to easily attach files with file manager.

The work around I have come up with on my iPad is to save documents to One Drive, where I can save them in folders and give the files names. Then I can attach to emails within the stock email app. I select add attachment, then press location where One Drive shows up and I can attach my selected email.

My iP7+ has not arrived yet but I hope it works the same way as on my iPad. Seems to work for me.

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
I have been on Blackberry for years and loved being able to easily attach files with file manager.

The work around I have come up with on my iPad is to save documents to One Drive, where I can save them in folders and give the files names. Then I can attach to emails within the stock email app. I select add attachment, then press location where One Drive shows up and I can attach my selected email.

My iP7+ has not arrived yet but I hope it works the same way as on my iPad. Seems to work for me.

I can currently share anything from Google Drive or Dropbox, so you should be fine in that respect.

bgapfire

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site

How did you get acclimated to the notification system? It is one of my biggest gripes with iOS. I get so frustrated when I can easily reach for one of my Android devices and know it is how I like it. I have enjoyed iOS on a certain level but the notifications... AARRGGHH!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2