Getting rid of the headphone jack

rdubmu

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Maybe. Maybe not. If they wanted the latest "iPhone" then yes, the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus were the only options. Still, it doesn't negate the fact that they knew prior to purchasing that the device no longer had the typical earphone jack. Furthermore, to blatantly ignore the supplied adapter is straight up selfish, in my opinion. Then again, I'm from a generation that will simply make use of what I have.

A dongle isn't a solution. The New Mac Book Pros are an example of this. It isn't about the generation you are from, rather your blind love for anything Apple.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
A dongle isn't a solution. The New Mac Book Pros are an example of this. It isn't about the generation you are from, rather your blind love for anything Apple.

C'mon now. You and I both know that I don't have "blind love for anything Apple". You cannot provide an adequate enough argument to sway my opinion from what it is. I get that some people dislike Apple removing the traditional earphone jack. I get that some people disdain the excuse given for the change. I get that some people don't like having/using the supplied dongle. What I don't get are the excuses of people who are unwilling to make use of the supplied dongle and their perceived anger toward those of us who are not bothered by the removal of the headphone jack to the degree that they are. Buyers of the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus had choices prior to purchasing them:

1. Buy the iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus knowing that there isn't a traditional earphone jack.
2. Keep your current iPhone 6S or iPhone 6S Plus and continue enjoying the traditional earphone jack.
3. Upgrade to an iPhone that still has the traditional earphone jack.
4. Purchase the latest non-Apple smartphone that still has the traditional earphone jack.

Am I wrong for viewing this matter in a practical sense?

Last edited:

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
I am bother but not bothered.

My personal phone, I cannot remember the last time I used the headphone jack. Everything is either Bluetooth or the speaker.

But my work phone, I listen to during work, I use a pair of headphones so that bothers me but the adapter isn't too bad since my headphone comes with a case so I throw everything in there. The dongle cost $9 and I bought a few just to have. But in the two months-ish I have had this phone, I still haven't opened the other dongles.

Bluetooth audio is very flat and battery life sucks. So there is a downside.

Yes dongles sucks to carry around but it's small enough to attach on the end of the headphone and not ever remember it's there.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I am bother but not bothered.

My personal phone, I cannot remember the last time I used the headphone jack. Everything is either Bluetooth or the speaker.

But my work phone, I listen to during work, I use a pair of headphones so that bothers me but the adapter isn't too bad since my headphone comes with a case so I throw everything in there. The dongle cost $9 and I bought a few just to have. But in the two months-ish I have had this phone, I still haven't opened the other dongles.

Bluetooth audio is very flat and battery life sucks. So there is a downside.

Yes dongles sucks to carry around but it's small enough to attach on the end of the headphone and not ever remember it's there.
The supplied dongle stays snugly connected to my Audio-Technica headphones, and I never think about them being lost. I also have wireless headsets so I'm good either way. In regard to work, I wish I did have the time to listen to music while working, but unfortunately, I'm constantly moving and being pulled from all directions....��....As for audio sounding flat via Bluetooth, I haven't noticed.

Last edited:

rdubmu

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Looking at the difference between the 6s and the 7s, it really isn't much of a difference when it comes to thickness. When I am on a call for 3-4 hours, not being able to charge my phone sucks. I like to use noise cancelling headphones as I work in a restaurant and it can get loud. I went to the Apple Store to find a dongle that would let me charge and listen at the same time and they told me nothing exist. I know there are third party alternatives but I would rather have first party, or "made for Apple iPhone" third party. I am only voicing my concerns regarding not having a headphone jack, it's anti- consumer. Honestly, thou I know we can agree, there is no substitute for the iPhone when it comes to the complete package and it works for me. I can't go back to the 6 or the 6s due to the crappy camera.

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
The supplied dongle stays snugly connected to my Audio-Technical headphones, and I never think about them being lost. I also have wireless headsets so I'm good either way. In regard to work, I wish I did have the time to listen to music while working, but unfortunately, I'm constantly moving and being pulled from all directions....��....As for audio sounding flat via Bluetooth, I haven't noticed.

I noticed it with Bluetooth headphones but I am picking up a Bose in ear one in a few weeks so I'll give that a shot and see how that works out. Even the Apple Ear sounds better then the BT ones I have. I have beats ones which we all know it's crap but I got it for half off. And I have tried one of the LG Bluetooth ones that has that plastic piece that wraps around your neck.

Depends on what I'm doing, I'm just running calibration work which takes time and it takes close to two weeks to calibrate the machine so I sit and wait so I just listen to music.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
A lot of complaints over first world problems.

I'm a demanding user via senior IT admin work and so far no problems that make my 7 Plus not worth owning.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Looking at the difference between the 6s and the 7s, it really isn't much of a difference when it comes to thickness.
No doubt.
When I am on a call for 3-4 hours, not being able to charge my phone sucks.
That's quite understandable.
I like to use noise cancelling headphones as I work in a restaurant and it can get loud. I went to the Apple Store to find a dongle that would let me charge and listen at the same time and they told me nothing exist. I know there are third party alternatives but I would rather have first party, or "made for Apple iPhone" third party.
I understand
I am only voicing my concerns regarding not having a headphone jack, it's anti- consumer.
Anti-consumer? I wouldn't say that. Not catering to all usage patterns? Definitely!
Honestly, thou I know we can agree, there is no substitute for the iPhone when it comes to the complete package and it works for me.
Yes, we are definitely in agreement there...
I can't go back to the 6 or the 6s due to the crappy camera.
(laughing)...I hear ya...

nthknd

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Most people were upgrading two to three year old phones, honestly the only upgrade path was the iPhone 7.

Even if you were upgrading you still could have got the 6s or 6s plus or a android phone, your post makes it sound like there was just no other choice. I keep hearing people saying the 7 and 7 plus just wasn't a big enough upgrade to move from the 6s or the 6splus to the 7 then complain there's no jack on the 7, well damn you didn't want it anyways. Just saying as you get older you tend to learn life is made up of compromises and many times you'll have to decide what's important to you, even when your paying for it. I don't need a jack so I upgraded to the 7plus, if that changes then I'll cross that bridge then.

rdubmu

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Even if you were upgrading you still could have got the 6s or 6s plus or a android phone, your post makes it sound like there was just no other choice. I keep hearing people saying the 7 and 7 plus just wasn't a big enough upgrade to move from the 6s or the 6splus to the 7 then complain there's no jack on the 7, well damn you didn't want it anyways. Just saying as you get older you tend to learn life is made up of compromises and many times you'll have to decide what's important to you, even when your paying for it. I don't need a jack so I upgraded to the 7plus, if that changes then I'll cross that bridge then.

Unfortunately, I traded my 6s plus in for the 7 plus and was expecting there to be a dongle to be able to charge and use a headphone jack at the same time. This hasn't been released yet. I also didn't know how much of an issue this would be until I bought it. Others are also experiencing this both on this forum and in real life. If I could get a dongle that could do both that would be great. The sacrifice for the awesome battery life is worth it, but not having it for business consumers.. sucks

nthknd

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Looking at the difference between the 6s and the 7s, it really isn't much of a difference when it comes to thickness. When I am on a call for 3-4 hours, not being able to charge my phone sucks. I like to use noise cancelling headphones as I work in a restaurant and it can get loud. I went to the Apple Store to find a dongle that would let me charge and listen at the same time and they told me nothing exist. I know there are third party alternatives but I would rather have first party, or "made for Apple iPhone" third party. I am only voicing my concerns regarding not having a headphone jack, it's anti- consumer. Honestly, thou I know we can agree, there is no substitute for the iPhone when it comes to the complete package and it works for me. I can't go back to the 6 or the 6s due to the crappy camera.

That not totally true, you can go back to the camera but you don't want to, I think sometimes we forget that life is about choices and compromises and we have to pick and choose what best for us in our situation. I'm not debating whether it was a good idea or not to remove the jack I'm just saying why buy the phone if the jack is an important feature that you need then complain it's not working for your case use. On another note I wonder if this is what Apple meant by being courageous? Removing the jack and pushing people forward ( depending on your view) and dealing with the backlash?

nthknd

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately, I traded my 6s plus in for the 7 plus and was expecting there to be a dongle to be able to charge and use a headphone jack at the same time. This hasn't been released yet. I also didn't know how much of an issue this would be until I bought it. Others are also experiencing this both on this forum and in real life. If I could get a dongle that could do both that would be great. The sacrifice for the awesome battery life is worth it, but not having it for business consumers.. sucks

That I can understand, and I believe there's going to be solutions by different companies because it's a source of revenues. It's growing pains and changes is never easy. Also I found this i don't know if it's any good or a good solution .....https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...-0%2526rvr_id%253D1140780504172&ul_noapp=true

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Most people were upgrading two to three year old phones, honestly the only upgrade path was the iPhone 7.

6s / 6s Plus are still available, and they're only a year old. 2-3 year old phones would get a definite upgrade with those, and keep the headphone jack.

lusid1

Dec 4, 2016
Visit site
Buying an newer old phone would just delay the inevitable and you'd still be using an old phone. Once apple takes something from you they never give it back. And in a years time I think most manufacturers will have realized they too can save $0.03/unit on the jack and make $9/unit/headphone selling dongles.

lusid1

Dec 4, 2016
Visit site
No, its not. Lightning was never about the port, it was always about licensing the connector. They were leaving a lot of money on the table with the 30pin, because there was no enforcement of the license/taxation of the connector, and no way to control what accessories made it to market. Lightning's security chip gives them the control they lacked, a way to enforce the MFI program, and part of the revenue on every accessory from every manufacturer. There is no way they would give that up.

anon(10101748)

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
No, its not. Lightning was never about the port, it was always about licensing the connector. They were leaving a lot of money on the table with the 30pin, because there was no enforcement of the license/taxation of the connector, and no way to control what accessories made it to market. Lightning's security chip gives them the control they lacked, a way to enforce the MFI program, and part of the revenue on every accessory from every manufacturer. There is no way they would give that up.

Well then ports galore. You'll have lighting and USB-C on the same device. We can look back when the next iPhone comes out and I may be wrong, but if I was betting...the next iPhone will have USB-C.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Well then ports galore. You'll have lighting and USB-C on the same device. We can look back when the next iPhone comes out and I may be wrong, but if I was betting...the next iPhone will have USB-C.

Yeah, having a MacBook and getting new phone had me thinking that way.

I wonder what percent of those whining about the Jack gone have the phone.

rdubmu

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

I am assuming The next iPhone will have a USB type c to lightning cable instead of the current USB type b to lightning.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW