Getting rid of the headphone jack

rdubmu

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I am getting kind of annoyed about not having a headphone jack. I have already lost my dongle. Thinking of either going back to my iPhone 6s plus or just using my Lumia 950XL as my primary phone. (with the lack of apps and horrible ecosystem)

I do have a pair of beats studio wireless headphones but I use the cord for conference calls as just having the headphones the microphone on the studios are pretty bad. The cord microphone works very well.

DX9

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I was a little annoyed at first because I use Square Reader to process payments for my clients. I go to get their credit card and was about to plug in the reader in the bottom of the phone forgetting that there is no jack. Had to go all the way home to get the adapter.

Went to Apple Store to buy a spare and keep it in my truck now.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it's annoying but unless you're ready to completely leave iOS it's probably best that you find a way to accept it. The headphone jack probably isn't coming back. I'm not debating; this is just the honest truth. Replacement dongles are $9 each. I suggest picking a few up and just keeping them attached to whatever headphones you plan on using on your iPhone 7. Is it a perfect solution? No. It works though.

Whatever you decide, come back and let us know!

decypher44

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I am so annoyed with the decision to ditch the 3.5 jack. I've had my 7+ for a little over a week, and I'm already annoyed. The adapter is garbage. The sound quality on my two pairs of Bose is horrible. Oh, not to mention that I had to plug and unplug the adapter 4 times before it would work.

The EarPods that came with the phone sound "ok", but the hard plastic hurts my ears.

And Bluetooth -as of now- isn't a very ideal solution. If you're connected to a watch, expect a lot of streaming problems and outright dropouts.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
That's good to hear. I hope soon there will be wide adoption for the lightning connection in headphones. Unfortunately I don't think there will be

I agree. I think the removal of the headphone jack is a wireless headphone play more than a lightning headphone play. The lightning EarPods are a temporary bandaid until wireless adoption catches up.

recDNA

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I agree. I think the removal of the headphone jack is a wireless headphone play more than a lightning headphone play. The lightning EarPods are a temporary bandaid until wireless adoption catches up.
Not much consolation for those who already own the phone. Being an early adopter of new tech is attractive but almost always a mistake.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Fortunately this time around I went with the Plus. So I've been fine using the lightening headphones because the battery life on my 7 Plus is WAYYY better than my 6S. So I no longer need to charge during the day while at my desk.

My experience with bluetooth is no different. I've had my bluetooth headphones drop connection twice since getting my 7 Plus. It is convenient when it works but it's got a ways to go before its the definitive option for audio. Using bluetooth outside when it's windy is a headache in itself.

mmohn01

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I was annoyed at first, but if you think about it we've been dealing with antiquated "stereo" sound for years. While our TV's have upgraded to HDMI, Component cable, and optical cables...our headphones are limited. Think of lightning and USB-C headphones as finally getting HDMI sound quality for our phones . It's long overdue.

recDNA

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I was annoyed at first, but if you think about it we've been dealing with antiquated "stereo" sound for years. While our TV's have upgraded to HDMI, Component cable, and optical cables...our headphones are limited. Think of lightning and USB-C headphones as finally getting HDMI sound quality for our phones . It's long overdue.
Maybe - maybe not. Better to wait 2 years and SEE. Early adopters pay through the nose in $ and inconvenience. All and I mean ALL tech reviews said beta-max was better than VHS but VHS remained the standard for many years and beta max never did.

recDNA

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Beta max users loved it and screamed to high heavens. There was communication in the tech community b4 internet. VHS just grabbed the public. USB C or lightening offer nothing I need now. In 2 years maybe dollar store headphones will use those interfaces and drug store phone chargers won't be micro usb but in the meantime I prefer the ubiquitous to the cutting edge. It saves money and headaches.

garrett96

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Can't tell you how many times I've went to plug my phone up to charge while listening to music with EarPods & realized I couldn't do both at the same time. I miss the headphone jack :/

MeanMark

May 3, 2012
Visit site
I thought it would bother me. I use my phone for conference calls and often needed to charge my 6 while on a call. I have the 7 Plus now and I realize I don't have to charge as often. I've always used the earbuds that come with the phone so I put the adapter in a draw and doubt I'll ever use it. I'm waiting for the air pods and will probably buy them when they are released. I think Apple builds products for the 80% as opposed to the 20%. I'm sure most people use the ear buds that come with the phone and don't need the adapter. For those who have pricey headphones the adapter is there. So now, we're down to the few people like me who sit at a desk and use their phones on conference calls while charging. Probably a small number and unless you are on calls for 8-9 hours straight, you can just charge the phone in between calls.

lusid1

Dec 4, 2016
Visit site
Kind of in a similar boat. Lots of conference calls. Wireless is adequate when you just need to listen in, but sometimes its important that the other folks on the call be able to hear you. Wireless isn't good for that. Maybe the airpods will be ok if they ship, but they they look like vaporware at this point. Anyway, the best plan I can come up with is to buy a bunch of docks and leave them in my stationary work locations, and a handful of lightning DACs for my dongle bag and my travel bags. Not sure what to do about the car though. Commutes in my area are 2-3 hours in a stretch, and I'm often on the phone for most of it. My car requires a USB connection to the phone to pull traffic data, and my state requires hands-free operation. My car has a speaker phone, but using it is cruel to whoever I'm talking to. That leaves me with bluetooth mediocrity or that belkin splitter. Neither sound like good approaches. Does anyone have a better solution?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox