Hey all,

I noticed that when I play back my WhatsApp voice messages on my new iPhone 7 Plus, they sound very low and weak. The person on the other end also noticed this. I just also tried WhatsApp voice messages on my iPhone 6 and it sounds loud, crisp and clear on both ends just like it should.

For some reason, the microphone input is really low on my iPhone 7 Plus. Even when I tested this on voice recorder, it sounds about 50% weaker than on my 6.

I am positive that there is nothing covering any of the microphones or speakers. YouTube playback it sounds decent however.

Also, during an HD call on my 6, I was always blown away at how clear and vibrant the voice in the other end was - HD calling as it was meant to be. When I listen to the same conversation on my 7 plus, the other voice is muffled and lower volume. Basically, I initiated an HD call and kept swapping the phone that was at my ear to do the test. HD calling is properly set up under LTE.

Is there something I'm missing?

I fear this is just What I have to get used to with the new phones because of some waterproof seal or coating.

Please advise.
    10-22-2016 08:03 AM
    Hey up there. I was searching on google for some other fellas with the same problem as I and I just got here.

The issue just started in my iPhone 6S (48 hours ago) and I don't know what might be happening...

I found also other reports of this issue in 6S as well.

Maybe an update on the app? don't know...
    10-22-2016 05:51 PM
    Ok, well at least it sounds like it's a software issue, perhaps. If that's the case, then I can deal with it for a while. Better than a faulty speaker, mic, etc.
    10-22-2016 09:15 PM
    I'm sure this is not an issue with the iPhone 7. This seems to be an issue in the latest WhatsApp update, because I have an iPhone 5S and I never had this problem before, until the recent WhatsApp update, I suddenly noticed that playbacks' volume is lower than usual.
    10-23-2016 09:40 AM
    I have noticed "muddy" sound as well on my 7+ during all calls period.
    10-25-2016 08:34 AM
    I have noticed "muddy" sound as well on my 7+ during all calls period.
    Let me guess...you're with Verizon?
    10-25-2016 07:18 PM
    Yes Verizon
    10-26-2016 01:37 AM
    Yes Verizon
    It's a known issue with Verizon as per the Apple Store. So that you feel better until there is an update to fix this, make a 'FaceTime Audio' call to another iPhone. You'll hear a beautiful, crisp call and soon realize that the hardware is capable and not faulty on your actual device.

There is hope!!
    10-26-2016 07:22 AM
    It's a known issue with Verizon as per the Apple Store. So that you feel better until there is an update to fix this, make a 'FaceTime Audio' call to another iPhone. You'll hear a beautiful, crisp call and soon realize that the hardware is capable and not faulty on your actual device.

There is hope!!

I tried this and I am sorry I could not duplicate your findings. In fact the audio on LTE sounded better than my FaceTime connection. But who knows about the quality of the infrastructure. Every phone is working on different types of cell sites and so forth.

I also tried the cellular settings update I read about in another thread. That did not seem to help either.
    10-26-2016 01:18 PM