Apple made two versions of iPhone 7, and one of them sucks

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Works fine on my 6s Plus. How is it broken?

When I dial the magic Field Test Mode number, it opens up but I am not presented with any options, it just says "Connecting..." with a spinning circle on the bottom of the screen.

Last edited:

pychinat

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
Not really as numerous articles have come out highlighting this issue. Personally, I've been affected a lot since I'm used to streaming YouTube in the office for music and used to have no problems with my IP6+, but now with my IP7+ with its subpar Intel modem, my LTE is so handicapped that it doesn't stream fast enough so it keeps sputtering.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Not really as numerous articles have come out highlighting this issue. Personally, I've been affected a lot since I'm used to streaming YouTube in the office for music and used to have no problems with my IP6+, but now with my IP7+ with its subpar Intel modem, my LTE is so handicapped that it doesn't stream fast enough so it keeps sputtering.

You're certain it's the intel modem that is causing the issue? I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just interested in how significant the difference truly is in real world usage. People read these stories and they start finding problems where otherwise, none existed. Happened last year with the chip differences. I had what was deemed the "slower" chip. But my phone worked just fine. Had that story never came out I wouldn't have known anything was different.

At that time I did say that I felt it was wrong on Apples part for there to be any differences in performance whether large or small. And I stick by that belief. But for the majority, I'd imagine most won't even realize there is a difference.

pychinat

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
Yes I am positive that is causing the significant difference. As I've said in my first post, when comparing to my older IP6+ that I still have, I was averaging 22MBits/sec compared to 28MBits/sec, almost 27% slower, which makes helluva difference when you only have 1-2 bars at home or office. I made sure to test in the exact same conditions, using speedtest, same server, same location & time and took average of three datapoints. One would reasonably expect increased performance given a generational update (2 years), not the other way around.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes I am positive that is causing the significant difference. As I've said in my first post, when comparing to my older IP6+ that I still have, I was averaging 22MBits/sec compared to 28MBits/sec, almost 27% slower, which makes helluva difference when you only have 1-2 bars at home or office. I made sure to test in the exact same conditions, using speedtest, same server, same location & time and took average of three datapoints. One would reasonably expect increased performance given a generational update (2 years), not the other way around.

I'd imagine a more accurate test would be to compare two iPhone 7 devices. One with the intel modem and the other without. That would more accurately tell you if it is specifically the intel modem that is the issue. For all you know, the results could be the same with both 7 models.

zog1977

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
this is so dumb. nobody will notice anything.

people just want to complain.Return the phone and go get an exploding samsung

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
fwiw, I haven't noticed any real-world difference in cellular performance between my 6s Plus and 7 Plus.

With my 6s Plus, Siri would have issues when I was straddling between 1 and 2 bars of LTE. With my 7 Plus I haven't had any issues using Siri in an area with low signal.

I have noticed fewer "bars" but the bars are subjective, it's the numerical value of the signal strength that actually matters.

Friendzone

Banned
Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Those who bought the Intel version and who are past their return date will argue until they're blue in the face that their phone isn't affected by the subpar modem. Doesn't make it so.

That's forum etiquette for just about any product. You're always going to get a batch of replies from people saying they don't have [insert issue here]. Some of them may even be telling the truth... :rotfl:

Sep 18, 2016
Visit site
0a6247a25239ca30cce194dcce55cf77.jpg
9ef5b398bc840ef0738b16491ed9fd03.jpg

Compared to my 5S, reception and performance has been the same in low sig areas (1 bar). Calls still drop in most of the same areas, too. Data performance is much more consistent, however. My guess is the Intel modem trades performance for battery life at some level, and that makes a lot more sense than sucking the battery just for an extra 1-2Mbps.

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I don't think I've ever thought to myself, "Damn, I regret not getting the unlocked version" since upgrading. I am frequently in areas with low signal and my AT&T 7 Plus is on par, maybe even a tiny bit better than my 6s Plus.

dpham00

Trusted Member
Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161104/0a6247a25239ca30cce194dcce55cf77.jpg//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161104/9ef5b398bc840ef0738b16491ed9fd03.jpg

Compared to my 5S, reception and performance has been the same in low sig areas (1 bar). Calls still drop in most of the same areas, too. Data performance is much more consistent, however. My guess is the Intel modem trades performance for battery life at some level, and that makes a lot more sense than sucking the battery just for an extra 1-2Mbps.

1-2 mbps can be significant in areas of weak signal.

Also note the dbm...

21e1a4227a7dddcc22d0758d65cf6d13.png

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods