This is what the Apple store phone rep just advised me of... True?

What if you don't have any regular credit cards....? Sad face! This may force me to get my phone through Verizon after all....
    Last edited by KillerQ; 10-19-2016 at 03:32 PM.
    10-19-2016 03:02 PM
    Yes, must be a credit card.
    MooMooPrincess likes this.
    10-19-2016 03:03 PM
    This is what the Apple store phone rep just advised me of... True?

What if you don't have any regular credit cards....? Sad face! This may force me to get my phone through Verizon after all....
    You don't need one if you go through a carrier program like AT&T Next as long as you have a valid / current account without negative past payment history. The Apple plan does not go through Apple themselves but through a CC company that requires someone to have a CC and credit history. I have seen people with a CC and 700+ credit get denied, but those with 640 or lower get approved. I am no longer surprised on the randomness of it all.
    MooMooPrincess likes this.
    10-19-2016 04:15 PM
    You're referring to the iPhone Upgrade Program, which does require a valid credit (not debit) card. It's basically a 24-month, 0% loan through Citizens Bank, and they allow you to upgrade your device after you've made twelve consecutive monthly payments (or the equivalent dollar amount). It's slightly more expensive than the carrier programs because it comes with AppleCare+. More info here: iPhone Upgrade Program - Apple
    10-19-2016 04:27 PM
    After more digging, it seems that Verizon offers a yearly upgrade plan that's basically the exact same (without Apple care?) and it just bills to my account. That's a much cleaner way the me to do it then...

I'll have to look into my total equipment protection that I currently have on my Verizon plan to see if that would cover the Apple iPhone at all.
    10-19-2016 04:35 PM
    After more digging, it seems that Verizon offers a yearly upgrade plan that's basically the exact same (without Apple care?) and it just bills to my account. That's a much cleaner way the me to do it then...

I'll have to look into my total equipment protection that I currently have on my Verizon plan to see if that would cover the Apple iPhone at all.
    Total equipment coverage will cover the iPhone. I know because I have it on my teenagers iPhones, because they are more at risk of having their phone stolen at school. The deductible is higher at $199 but the piece of mind is worth it. On the wifey and my iPhone we have AppleCare+ it was a one time fee of $129 plus tax per phone for two years of coverage. (no coverage for lost or stolen) and the deductible is $100 (or only $29 for screen repair) cheaper. Both our phones are financed through Verizon. By the time the AppleCare+ expires on our phones they will probably be our kids phones and covered by total equipment coverage
    10-19-2016 05:19 PM
    Total equipment coverage will cover the iPhone. I know because I have it on my teenagers iPhones, because they are more at risk of having their phone stolen at school. The deductible is higher at $199 but the piece of mind is worth it. On the wifey and my iPhone we have AppleCare+ it was a one time fee of $129 plus tax per phone for two years of coverage. (no coverage for lost or stolen) and the deductible is $100 (or only $29 for screen repair) cheaper. Both our phones are financed through Verizon. By the time the AppleCare+ expires on our phones they will probably be our kids phones and covered by total equipment coverage
    Awesome info, THANKS!
    10-19-2016 05:37 PM
    Awesome info, THANKS!
    Note that you can get Apple Care + even if you use the Verizon Device Payment Plan.
    KillerQ and Rob Phillips like this.
    10-19-2016 05:55 PM