Anyone using their phone without a screen protector?

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Haven't used one in years, they are a waste of money.

I use a case, with a lip. (Pelican) Back in the day, I've had cases with the built in screen protectors and I ended up removing the protector.

How is it a waste of money if your phone falls face first and it hits a rock and the screen protector shatters or cracks, but your phone screen is fine? A case with a lip only helps on a flat surface. It's fine for you to pick what works for you, but it's clearly not a waste of money if it saves a phone. It's like car insurance / life insurance / Apple Care + / if you never use it, it seems like a waste of money. Not a waste if you need it and it saves you money.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
On my iPad I don't use, since it rarely go streets with me. Neve took a single scratch on it. For smartphones I think it is different. Use tempered glass always I can. When I didn't use, the scratches always made presence.

Cheers,

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
I didn't use one on my 6s+, and in a years time it ended up with a lot of fine scratches on the corners and it bothered me in certain lights/angles. Just got a cheap one for my 7 plus.

rsgoldens

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
I have always used one. Prefer tempered glass now. Had a Galaxy S7e for my work phone and even the Zagg HD didn't fit right and I hated the look of it so I tore it off. Within two weeks had scratches on it from being in my purse. Ended up trading it for a different phone so I could put a glass screen protector on it lol. I do have to say that I crack my protector at least once a month so I'm sure I would scratch the screen. I'm just hard on stuff so I play it safe because I still like nice things!

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
How is it a waste of money if your phone falls face first and it hits a rock and the screen protector shatters or cracks, but your phone screen is fine? A case with a lip only helps on a flat surface. It's fine for you to pick what works for you, but it's clearly not a waste of money if it saves a phone. It's like car insurance / life insurance / Apple Care + / if you never use it, it seems like a waste of money. Not a waste if you need it and it saves you money.

Because with AppleCare+ a screen replacement is only $29. I'll enjoy using my phone without a screen protector and pay the $29 if I ever need to.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Nope. I have AppleCare+.

I have health insurance too, but that does not mean I would risk injury. Apple Care + is only useful if you wish to replace the screen. It's still at a cost and takes time. Especially for people like me, where the nearest Apple store is 120 miles away. I still don't want my screen to have scratches or other marks. For under $10 to have a quality tempered glass protector on it, is a no-brainer.

Because with AppleCare+ a screen replacement is only $29. I'll enjoy using my phone without a screen protector and pay the $29 if I ever need to.

See above!

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
I have health insurance too, but that does not mean I would risk injury. Apple Care + is only useful if you wish to replace the screen. It's still at a cost and takes time. Especially for people like me, where the nearest Apple store is 120 miles away. I still don't want my screen to have scratches or other marks. For under $10 to have a quality tempered glass protector on it, is a no-brainer.

See above!

That's a terrible analogy. Spending $29 for a new screen and getting injured are on two totally different levels. You're comparing a piece of technology to human life/well-being. I pay for AppleCare+ because a phone can still break with a case and screen protector on it. With it only costing $29 for a new screen or $100 for a total replacement, I choose to take the risk.

si001

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Why would I buy the latest tech to go and hide it behind a screen protector and big case. Small case or naked and no screen protector is the way I go. I prefer to fully enjoy my phone rather than having a screen protector in the way. Most people keep their device for only a year or two anyway.

Anyway that's only my point of view, I fully respect the outterbox freak :D

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Had a screen protector on my 6 plus and 6s plus. Bought the apple watch stainless steel model and never had a screen protector on that. When I bought my 7 plus I looked at my watch. No scratches. Then I realized when I received my 7 plus I forgot to order a screen protector. Decided to use my phone without a screen protector and started liking the feel.

Ordered a new screen protector and applied it. Not sure how I feel about it. I decided to order one of those liquid screen protector and figured I'd try it on the watch. If I like it then I'll pull the screen protector off the phone. If it doesn't work then I might still pull it off the phone. After all I have apple care so why not.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
After this discussion, I removed the screenprotector to see how THIS screen is in my car. And I haven't yet had a sunny drive time.
And now I have. I'm putting one back on. I need the anti-glare / anti-reflective overlay for my use of the device. Gonna see if I can find a matte finish tempered glass. Any recommendations for the 7+?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I used 2 or 3 in the past but took them off the same day. They where impulse buys because friends or family bought them while we were shopping together.
Those screen protectors made my fingers hurt like I was stroking carpet very fast, making my finger tips feel burned off.

But, when I bought my iPhone 7 Plus I bought a case and a screen protector within two hours of receiving the phone and don't regret putting it on my screen.
The Belkin feels as natural as the screen itself and gives me ease mind when I put my phone in my pockets.

This protector is here to stay.

BIG CAT 7

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I originally purchased a tempered glass protector that I used for a couple days. The thickness of it bothered me. I took it off after I had ordered and received my Tech Armor HD Clear protector. The regular thinner protectors are much better for my OCD Lol.

Just couldn't get used to the thicker tempered glass. I am sure I might try them again one day as I have a couple left but for now I will stick with the regular ones. Have to have something on to protect this beautiful screen.

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
To each their own.

I haven't had a screen protector on a phone since really early this year, I've cycled through a couple because of the Note 7 thing, I'm happier touching the actual screen. I already feel I have to put this awesome phone in a case.

I suppose if I decide I don't want a case on it a screen protector would be pertinent. I have insurance, and I'm considering buying Apple Care, so I'll deal with it as I go.

jimpilot

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
My 6+ was the last phone I put a protector on. Just turned in 6S+ for 7+ and apple tech mentioned what good shape the phone was in. With Apple Care a screen replacement is cheaper than the big name protectors and IMO phone feels better.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods