Anyone using their phone without a screen protector?

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but the point holds true, he can still use a "screen protector" without removing the visual appeal of the phone. A quality clear protector will not even be noticed unless you tell someone or show them. I don't even remember I have one on my iPad, it blends in seamlessly.
With prices ranging to over US$20 per protector, it can be rather expensive to try multiple items to find one that you like.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
With prices ranging to over US$20 per protector, it can be rather expensive to try multiple items to find one that you like.

With some prices and deals for Tempered Glass as low as $0.90 per protector it's worth (IMHO) giving it a try to protect an $700+ phone. But that's me..

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I have used screen protectors for the longest...and have bought at least a million tempered screen protectors for my iPhone 6, 6s & 7...NONE of which fit the new curved edged screen perfectly. Most, in fact either chipped on the edges or developed a "Halo Effect" before long. I bought Apple Care with my latest iPhone 7 Plus, and it will replace the screen for just a small amount of money...only a fraction of installing a replacement at most any shop. That fact, along with the reality that pretty much any screen protector desensitized your screen to your fingers tapping and swiping makes me go with a "naked" screen.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I have used screen protectors for the longest...and have bought at least a million tempered screen protectors for my iPhone 6, 6s & 7...NONE of which fit the new curved edged screen perfectly. Most, in fact either chipped on the edges or developed a "Halo Effect" before long. I bought Apple Care with my latest iPhone 7 Plus, and it will replace the screen for just a small amount of money...only a fraction of installing a replacement at most any shop. That fact, along with the reality that pretty much any screen protector desensitized your screen to your fingers tapping and swiping makes me go with a "naked" screen.

I am assuming you did not mean 1-million literally,..

Also I have never had those issues with a screen protector you mentioned. Yes, they don't go around the curved edge, but only one every got chipped. I have never had any issue with the screen feeling "desensitized" to my fingers.

MarkY3130

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
I don't use one either. I haven't tried one in a few years and don't see the need to try them again. The screens are plenty durable on their own and the protectors never feel as good as the screen does without them. They make it feel like your touch is too far away from the action.

Ron7624

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
it has been years since I used a screen protector. I do have a glass one on my iPad Mini 4, but not on my phones. It ruins the feel and the glass doesn't get scratched as far as I can see if you exercise just minimal caution.

jayzero76

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
hello

there is a screen protector that has two button beside the home button. i had it on my 6 plus and that was a whole better experience. so the two button on the bottom mirror the top. imessage lets you press the I icon in the top.or facetime you can press + from the bottom. only because of that reason i put one on. otherwise i go Iphone nacked all the time.

https://www.pure-gear.com/shop-by-category/screen/tempered-glass-with-smart-buttons.html

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I am because I have grown disgusted by screen protectors that don't fit or chip at the edges. I'm going with a naked screen from now on...especially since Apple Care will replace a cracked screen for a fraction of what a non-warranty replacement would be.

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
You do realize a screen protector is clear. It's not like it's blocking the "view" of the phone. How does it remove the "joy" of the phone when it's basically transparent?

You can't explain the difference until someone has used their phone without a screen protector. It doesn't matter how clear or what the screen protector is made out of; the screen looks and feels much better without one. I understand people wanting one to protect their screen, especially if they're prone to dropping it or not wanting to baby it. I'm not saying others should do as I do, I'm just stating what I do and why I do it.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I used to sell cell phones. I also used to sell the accessories for them. In selling screen protectors 95% could tell no difference in screen quality when I'd show them my screen protector. I honestly don't understand when people mention some degradation of quality in the screen when using tempered glass. Most of them retain the quality and feel. I've also never experienced the "halo" effect people mention.

Everyone has their own preferences and I respect that. I personally prefer to protect my device with a tempered glass. It doesn't prevent my use or lessen the joy of use. It's something that once applied, I don't even realize it's there. So in my opinion, if I don't even know it's there and it's protecting my device, why not?

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I used to hate screen protectors back in the days of the film ones. After scratching the heck out of a Lumia 1020 that I used without one though (figured Gorilla Glass, why do I need one) I started using them again. Was debating doing it or not on my 6s+ last year but the very first night I rubbed it on my shirt to clean the screen and put a fine scratch in the oleophobic coating (think that's what scratched on the 1020 as well). So I've gone with tempered glass on it and now my 7+. Feels just like a screen to me, and if it gets scratched up, rip it off and $10 or less to put a new one on. I suppose with Apple Care+ since I have that due to the Upgrade Program, it might be cheaper to just get the screen replaced before turnin if I go through a lot of glass protectors, but I only used one last year. If I just used the phone around town I might chance it but I also do outdoors stuff (hiking, camping, etc.) so the extra protection is worth it to me.

nikkimd11

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Just curious if anyone is using their phone without one..

I used film screen protectors in the past but ever since I've had my iPhone 6s I have been using a tempered glass screen protector. I haven't had any issues with screen response. I use it with the sole purpose of decreasing the chances of my screen breaking if my phone has a nasty fall, even though I am completely aware that it can still occur with a screen protector in place. Its an additional step I take since I don't purchase AppleCare. I do take pretty good care of my phone and also use a case as well.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Haven't used one in years, they are a waste of money.

I use a case, with a lip. (Pelican) Back in the day, I've had cases with the built in screen protectors and I ended up removing the protector.

jorge Hewitson

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
If you care really do not need, I used plastic and tempered glass protective, I recommend the latter, the plastic deteriorates much faster. years not use neither ago, and my iPhone screen looks like new

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
You can't explain the difference until someone has used their phone without a screen protector. It doesn't matter how clear or what the screen protector is made out of; the screen looks and feels much better without one. I understand people wanting one to protect their screen, especially if they're prone to dropping it or not wanting to baby it. I'm not saying others should do as I do, I'm just stating what I do and why I do it.

I went w/o a screen protector on my 4 and 4s and my 5, and started using them on the 5s forward. I don't notice any difference in the screen response if you're using a decent tempered glass protector. So I personally (my experience) disagree that it reduces the quality of the user experience. However it's your phone, do as you please. I have dropped a phone face down before, the protector saved the screen. For me it's a win/win. Freedom of choice.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro