Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    miumui's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    39 Posts

    Default Scratches/fades on the non-Aluminium parts the Matt Black iPhone?

    Hi Guys!

    Wondering if could shed some light!
    I own a iphone 6+ Gold and am looking at upgrading to the 7+. Thought I give the Black a go since i had the white face for 2 years.

    My question & concern is, the regular metal parts of the phone ( Side Buttons and the lightning port), Does the black metal wear off?

    I've seen the display sets and some already have fades on the on/off buttons to grey and the lightning port seems to have become silver in colour due to the constant plug-ins and un-plugs of the docks..
  2. #2  
    iOSConvert2k14's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    66 Posts

    Default Re: Scratches/fades on the non-Aluminium parts the Matt Black iPhone?

    I haven't noticed any scratches on my port or sides. I do use a clear Spigen case.
  3. #3  
    felloffthetruck's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    236 Posts

    Default Re: Scratches/fades on the non-Aluminium parts the Matt Black iPhone?

    At our local Best Buy they had the 7 plus on display plugged into the lightning dock and the area around the port was completely destroyed.

    The finish was worn off and the aluminum around the port was bent all out of shape, looked like it's been through hell and back.

    After seeing this, I wonder just how sturdy the aluminum around the charging port is?
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    miumui's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    39 Posts

    Default Re: Scratches/fades on the non-Aluminium parts the Matt Black iPhone?

    I don't think we would use it that roughly till it bents? More that the metal would scratch and It would show the underlying silver metal colour.. I'm wondering can I solve the colour issue by coloring it black with a Permanent marker?

    If not, I might just stick to gold or silver so the scratches wouldn't be that obvious..
  5. #5  
    MizWylie's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    185 Posts

    Default Re: Scratches/fades on the non-Aluminium parts the Matt Black iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by felloffthetruck View Post
    At our local Best Buy they had the 7 plus on display plugged into the lightning dock and the area around the port was completely destroyed.

    The finish was worn off and the aluminum around the port was bent all out of shape, looked like it's been through hell and back.

    After seeing this, I wonder just how sturdy the aluminum around the charging port is?
    Dude. It's like a rental car. No one cares what condition it's in because it's not theirs. As long as there's no golf ball size damage that the rental company would charge you for. Display models are a bad example of daily usage because they're driven like rental cars by hundreds of people once they go on display.

    The ones at my Verizon store had scraping on the back from the anti theft devices and were covered in fingerprints and micro scratches because they were the jet black model.

    I think if you're a considerate phone owner you wouldn't have to worry. I've seen iPhone 6S's for sale second hand that have never seen the inside of a case and they were scraped but the coating was still intact otherwise.
  6. #6  
    applefan4515's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    43 Posts

    Default Re: Scratches/fades on the non-Aluminium parts the Matt Black iPhone?

    Take it for what you will, but my matte black 7 plus seems to scratch and nick pretty easy. At least easier than my space grey 6 plus or silver 6s plus did. I got about 6 or 7 nicks in the back, one being on the Apple logo, and a few fine scratches that are barely noticeable. Phones kept in a case when I'm at work, although sand gets in it which I suspect is the culprit. Although again I had both the 6 plus and 6s plus with this job in cases and didn't have the same issue. Maybe I just didn't notice it due to the color.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    miumui's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    39 Posts

    Default Re: Scratches/fades on the non-Aluminium parts the Matt Black iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by applefan4515 View Post
    Take it for what you will, but my matte black 7 plus seems to scratch and nick pretty easy. At least easier than my space grey 6 plus or silver 6s plus did. I got about 6 or 7 nicks in the back, one being on the Apple logo, and a few fine scratches that are barely noticeable. Phones kept in a case when I'm at work, although sand gets in it which I suspect is the culprit. Although again I had both the 6 plus and 6s plus with this job in cases and didn't have the same issue. Maybe I just didn't notice it due to the color.
    I think the colour makes it more visible..
    Maybe it would be better to get the light phone colours...
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    miumui's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    39 Posts

    Default Re: Scratches/fades on the non-Aluminium parts the Matt Black iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by applefan4515 View Post
    Take it for what you will, but my matte black 7 plus seems to scratch and nick pretty easy. At least easier than my space grey 6 plus or silver 6s plus did. I got about 6 or 7 nicks in the back, one being on the Apple logo, and a few fine scratches that are barely noticeable. Phones kept in a case when I'm at work, although sand gets in it which I suspect is the culprit. Although again I had both the 6 plus and 6s plus with this job in cases and didn't have the same issue. Maybe I just didn't notice it due to the color.
    Maybe apply a Skin on the phone as well? That should help prevent more scratches?
  9. #9  
    Craig's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,383 Posts

    Default Re: Scratches/fades on the non-Aluminium parts the Matt Black iPhone?

    As others said, it's a care issue. You treat it rough, it will be damaged. Darker colors will show scratches more. Silver is your best bet if you know you will have scratches and don't want them to show. I never use my phone w/o a case or screen protector. My old phones look new.
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    miumui's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    39 Posts

    Default Re: Scratches/fades on the non-Aluminium parts the Matt Black iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    As others said, it's a care issue. You treat it rough, it will be damaged. Darker colors will show scratches more. Silver is your best bet if you know you will have scratches and don't want them to show. I never use my phone w/o a case or screen protector. My old phones look new.
    I never had a darker coloured phone and now that the lightning port is used as a charging port as well as for he earphones, I'm just wondering if it would wear the black faster. But I'm pretty particular about new phones.. Maybe after a few months I'll be over it. 😂
  11. #11  
    Craig's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,383 Posts

    Default Re: Scratches/fades on the non-Aluminium parts the Matt Black iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by miumui View Post
    I never had a darker coloured phone and now that the lightning port is used as a charging port as well as for he earphones, I'm just wondering if it would wear the black faster. But I'm pretty particular about new phones.. Maybe after a few months I'll be over it. ��
    It will only get scratched up, if you scratch it up. If you just plug in the charger and/or the headphones into the port, it never touches the outside casing. Not any different than last years phone, they all required you to plug items into it. If you miss and keep hitting the case, that's a separate issue, one only you can address. It's like saying I am going from a 4-door car to a 2-door car. With the 2-door car be damaged more because I can only use 2-doors instead of 4. Well if you are kicking the doors, than sure..
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    miumui's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    39 Posts

    Default Re: Scratches/fades on the non-Aluminium parts the Matt Black iPhone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    It will only get scratched up, if you scratch it up. If you just plug in the charger and/or the headphones into the port, it never touches the outside casing. Not any different than last years phone, they all required you to plug items into it. If you miss and keep hitting the case, that's a separate issue, one only you can address. It's like saying I am going from a 4-door car to a 2-door car. With the 2-door car be damaged more because I can only use 2-doors instead of 4. Well if you are kicking the doors, than sure..
    What I'm asking is actually the lightning port area. Where the metal is just regular silver coated black? I've seen some on display that the lightning port have turned silver with all the rough Plug-ins. So I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced this..

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-24-2016, 12:53 AM
  2. Apps not downloading on iPhone 7
    By KingBuick in forum iPhone 7
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-14-2016, 02:02 AM
  3. How to use facetime on a call
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-13-2016, 08:15 PM
  4. I cannot access my Appstore on IPhone
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-13-2016, 07:20 PM
  5. How do i activate my iphone 6?
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-13-2016, 06:44 PM

Posting Permissions