Scratches/fades on the non-Aluminium parts the Matt Black iPhone?

miumui

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
Hi Guys!

Wondering if could shed some light!
I own a iphone 6+ Gold and am looking at upgrading to the 7+. Thought I give the Black a go since i had the white face for 2 years.

My question & concern is, the regular metal parts of the phone ( Side Buttons and the lightning port), Does the black metal wear off?

I've seen the display sets and some already have fades on the on/off buttons to grey and the lightning port seems to have become silver in colour due to the constant plug-ins and un-plugs of the docks..

felloffthetruck

iPhone 7 Plus Champion
Champion
Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
re:

At our local Best Buy they had the 7 plus on display plugged into the lightning dock and the area around the port was completely destroyed.

The finish was worn off and the aluminum around the port was bent all out of shape, looked like it's been through hell and back.

After seeing this, I wonder just how sturdy the aluminum around the charging port is?

miumui

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
re:

I don't think we would use it that roughly till it bents? More that the metal would scratch and It would show the underlying silver metal colour.. I'm wondering can I solve the colour issue by coloring it black with a Permanent marker?

If not, I might just stick to gold or silver so the scratches wouldn't be that obvious..

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
re:

At our local Best Buy they had the 7 plus on display plugged into the lightning dock and the area around the port was completely destroyed.

The finish was worn off and the aluminum around the port was bent all out of shape, looked like it's been through hell and back.

After seeing this, I wonder just how sturdy the aluminum around the charging port is?

Dude. It's like a rental car. No one cares what condition it's in because it's not theirs. As long as there's no golf ball size damage that the rental company would charge you for. Display models are a bad example of daily usage because they're driven like rental cars by hundreds of people once they go on display.

The ones at my Verizon store had scraping on the back from the anti theft devices and were covered in fingerprints and micro scratches because they were the jet black model.

I think if you're a considerate phone owner you wouldn't have to worry. I've seen iPhone 6S's for sale second hand that have never seen the inside of a case and they were scraped but the coating was still intact otherwise.

applefan4515

Sep 18, 2016
Visit site
re:

Take it for what you will, but my matte black 7 plus seems to scratch and nick pretty easy. At least easier than my space grey 6 plus or silver 6s plus did. I got about 6 or 7 nicks in the back, one being on the Apple logo, and a few fine scratches that are barely noticeable. Phones kept in a case when I'm at work, although sand gets in it which I suspect is the culprit. Although again I had both the 6 plus and 6s plus with this job in cases and didn't have the same issue. Maybe I just didn't notice it due to the color.

miumui

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
re:

Take it for what you will, but my matte black 7 plus seems to scratch and nick pretty easy. At least easier than my space grey 6 plus or silver 6s plus did. I got about 6 or 7 nicks in the back, one being on the Apple logo, and a few fine scratches that are barely noticeable. Phones kept in a case when I'm at work, although sand gets in it which I suspect is the culprit. Although again I had both the 6 plus and 6s plus with this job in cases and didn't have the same issue. Maybe I just didn't notice it due to the color.

I think the colour makes it more visible..
Maybe it would be better to get the light phone colours...

miumui

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
re:

Maybe apply a Skin on the phone as well? That should help prevent more scratches?

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
re:

As others said, it's a care issue. You treat it rough, it will be damaged. Darker colors will show scratches more. Silver is your best bet if you know you will have scratches and don't want them to show. I never use my phone w/o a case or screen protector. My old phones look new.

miumui

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
re:

As others said, it's a care issue. You treat it rough, it will be damaged. Darker colors will show scratches more. Silver is your best bet if you know you will have scratches and don't want them to show. I never use my phone w/o a case or screen protector. My old phones look new.

I never had a darker coloured phone and now that the lightning port is used as a charging port as well as for he earphones, I'm just wondering if it would wear the black faster. But I'm pretty particular about new phones.. Maybe after a few months I'll be over it. 😂

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
re:

I never had a darker coloured phone and now that the lightning port is used as a charging port as well as for he earphones, I'm just wondering if it would wear the black faster. But I'm pretty particular about new phones.. Maybe after a few months I'll be over it. ��

It will only get scratched up, if you scratch it up. If you just plug in the charger and/or the headphones into the port, it never touches the outside casing. Not any different than last years phone, they all required you to plug items into it. If you miss and keep hitting the case, that's a separate issue, one only you can address. It's like saying I am going from a 4-door car to a 2-door car. With the 2-door car be damaged more because I can only use 2-doors instead of 4. Well if you are kicking the doors, than sure..

miumui

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
re:

It will only get scratched up, if you scratch it up. If you just plug in the charger and/or the headphones into the port, it never touches the outside casing. Not any different than last years phone, they all required you to plug items into it. If you miss and keep hitting the case, that's a separate issue, one only you can address. It's like saying I am going from a 4-door car to a 2-door car. With the 2-door car be damaged more because I can only use 2-doors instead of 4. Well if you are kicking the doors, than sure..

What I'm asking is actually the lightning port area. Where the metal is just regular silver coated black? I've seen some on display that the lightning port have turned silver with all the rough Plug-ins. So I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced this..

fgerhd

Apr 7, 2017
Visit site
re:

Yes, I have 7 plus for about 2 months with Spigen Rugged Armor and YES there are scratches around charging port. I put charging cable carefully but there are 2 scratches.

Apple is so over-priced, iPhone 7+ should cost around 400-500$. Even new phones comes with scratches out of the box, read on forums.

This is my first iPhone, and huge dissapointment!
Good thing is that I got it for really low price.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
re:

Yes, I have 7 plus for about 2 months with Spigen Rugged Armor and YES there are scratches around charging port. I put charging cable carefully but there are 2 scratches.

Apple is so over-priced, iPhone 7+ should cost around 400-500$. Even new phones comes with scratches out of the box, read on forums.

Is there someone specific to whom you're replying or are you just venting in general?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re:

To guy who created a topic, since he is asking for scratch-experience.

Okay. Cool. If possible, please use the quote option so readers can know to whom you're replying. Thanks, and enjoy the rest of your evening, sir...??????

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Re:

2 scratches lol.

Dealz417

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
Matt black 7+ had it for around 5/6 months w/ no case.

I have no issues with the black metal parts wearing off or scratching.

It's holding up great so far for me.

I'm careful though.

d4niel_93

Jan 1, 2017
Visit site
I left my Jet Black for Matte Black last week and I already see part of the corner wearing off ugh. But I still prefer Matte Black over Jet Black

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711