Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    372 Global Posts

Default Nicked my mute switch... what to do

So I just noticed that some how I nicked my mute switch to where I can feel it with my nail. So I'm trying to decide if I wanna use my apple care, or rock it naked now and wait for more damage then apple care.... or try to forget it's there
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,948 Global Posts

Default Re: Nicked my mute switch... what to do

Honestly, i'd wait.

Don't forget you get coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage, so using one of them on this seems like a complete waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Apple.com

AppleCare+ provides repair or replacement coverage, both parts and labor, from Apple-authorized technicians. Service coverage includes the following:

• Your iPhone
    • Battery1
    • Included earphones and accessories
    • Coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage,2 each subject to a service fee of $29 for screen damage, or $99 for any other damage, plus applicable
    Last edited by Highrisedrifter; 10-03-2016 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Typo
    robertk328 and Annie_i6s like this.

You only get two uses for Apple Care so why waste it on a nick? Save it for another day and you'll get two birds with one stone.
    Annie_i6s likes this.
    iMore Newbie

It's a waste for a nick on the mute switch of all places. Likely you can only feel it and not even see it. Wait for a real issue to burn 1 of your apple care uses.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    372 Global Posts

That's what I'm thinking but just knowing it's there is really annoying lol. It's brand new and wanted to make it at least a month or two lol
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    162 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mach1man View Post
    So I just noticed that some how I nicked my mute switch to where I can feel it with my nail. So I'm trying to decide if I wanna use my apple care, or rock it naked now and wait for more damage then apple care.... or try to forget it's there
    Wait.

I feel like you're asking because you know it's just a little bit crazy to use an AppleCare+ incident on a nick on your silent switch. I can totally understand that it's annoying--especially on a brand new phone--but it's probably a good idea to hold off and wait for something a little more substantial to happen. Either way, let us know what you decide!
    mach1man likes this.

Totally understood with it being brand new but you'll eventually forget/get used to it.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    372 Global Posts

Well I'm with in my 14 day return window so I'm trying to work something out with Verizon to swap it out to the 256GB model. And no I haven't told them about the nick lol
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    660 Global Posts

Way to scam the system.......
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    372 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zog1977 View Post
    Way to scam the system.......
    Kinda.. but I'm also going to be paying more per month to have more memory so I can store more songs
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    162 Global Posts

Well I'm with in my 14 day return window so I'm trying to work something out with Verizon to swap it out to the 256GB model. And no I haven't told them about the nick lol
    That's not right.

Per Verizon: "All merchandise must be in likenew condition and accompanied by the original receipt".
    Annie_i6s likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Are you bragging that you are going to scam Verizon? I doubt you are going to find too many in here that think its cool. People returning damaged merchandise drives the prices up for everyone.
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    372 Global Posts

Not bragging just saying I want a bigger phone so IF I can switch since I'm ALMOST OUT of my 14 day return time, then I'll do it and I'll BE PAYING MORE OVER THE NEXT YEAR. If I can't switch bc they have a low inventory then I'll deal with it and USE MY APPLE CARE CLAIM
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    162 Global Posts

Not bragging just saying I want a bigger phone so IF I can switch since I'm ALMOST OUT of my 14 day return time, then I'll do it and I'll BE PAYING MORE OVER THE NEXT YEAR. If I can't switch bc they have a low inventory then I'll deal with it and USE MY APPLE CARE CLAIM
    It's one thing to switch out a like-new phone because you want more storage or a different color or, heck, even if you're not happy with the phone and have buyer's remorse. That's what their return policy is for, and why you pay a $35 restocking fee.

It's another thing entirely to return a slightly damaged phone and then attempt to justify it by saying you'll be paying more over the next year (approximately $4/month). That's not right.
    steve_w_7 likes this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    660 Global Posts

Kinda.. but I'm also going to be paying more per month to have more memory so I can store more songs
    not kinda, you are scamming. You have a damaged phone. it is not like new.

I have no respect for people that do that kind of stuff
    Last edited by zog1977; 10-03-2016 at 02:04 PM.

When they discover the nick, they'll add the repair cost to your bill. They do examine the phones.
    jpgti and libra89 like this.
  18. Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    372 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zog1977 View Post
    not kinda, you are scamming. You have a damaged phone. it is not like new.

I have no respect for people like you.
    That's cool bc I'm sure there's **** you've done in your life that I wouldn't respect you for as well.. so why don't you go ahead and hop off this thread
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    660 Global Posts

That's cool bc I'm sure there's **** you've done in your life that I wouldn't respect you for as well.. so why don't you go ahead and hop off this thread
    there really isnt, but oh well

and i am happy to stay in this thread

thanks!
    Last edited by zog1977; 10-03-2016 at 01:10 PM.
    mach1man, steve_w_7 and Xm_jdm like this.

Friendly reminder, folks...

P.U.P.P.A.H.
    (Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)
    Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
    Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you’re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you’re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
    Be a pro. Don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ‘think before you post’.
    Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members’ problem.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    14,635 Global Posts

Geez people. When phones are returned, they are looked over. If Verizon chooses to accept it, then fine by the poster to exchange. So nothing wrong with exchanging for a bigger size if Verizon chooses to accept the phone in its current condition.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    394 Global Posts

Chances are pretty good that Verizon will just exchange it anyway, even with a barely noticeable nick on it. If it was a cracked screen, that would be different. For something that small though they will likely exchange it. In their view (I have an idea anyway, having worked in sales/retail for a while) they would rather exchange it and lose a little money on it while keeping a customer that will likely make it up and then some over the course of time that they are with them so really they come out ahead anyway.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    14,635 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damien_Eternal View Post
    Chances are pretty good that Verizon will just exchange it anyway, even with a barely noticeable nick on it. If it was a cracked screen, that would be different. For something that small though they will likely exchange it. In their view (I have an idea anyway, having worked in sales/retail for a while) they would rather exchange it and lose a little money on it while keeping a customer that will likely make it up and then some over the course of time that they are with them so really they come out ahead anyway.
    I agree. I don't see a problem them swapping the phone that has a nick.
    libra89 likes this.

A lot of flack for simply attempting to exchange a phone. There is no scam. When the phone is taken into the store they look over the device. They can make the determination if they accept it or not. There will be no charges on the back end so long as the phone was received by the store.

This isn't a scam. People do it all the time. If it works, great. If it doesn't, then it doesn't. The final say is on the store you take it to.
    libra89 and mach1man like this.
    iMore Intermediate

Respectively, I just don't agree. I think the main reason this rubs me the wrong way is the OP's attitude about it. Had the OP said they wanted a larger capacity phone but they had somehow nicked the their current one and was asking if Verizon is going to notice, then I would have no issue with it at all. Bragging about finding a way to exchange the phone because of a superficial nick just seems "scammy" to me. To each their own I suppose.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast