Nicked my mute switch... what to do

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
So I just noticed that some how I nicked my mute switch to where I can feel it with my nail. So I'm trying to decide if I wanna use my apple care, or rock it naked now and wait for more damage then apple care.... or try to forget it's there

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, i'd wait.

Don't forget you get coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage, so using one of them on this seems like a complete waste.

Apple.com said:
applecare_hardware_title.png

AppleCare+ provides repair or replacement coverage, both parts and labor, from Apple-authorized technicians. Service coverage includes the following:

• Your iPhone
  • Battery[SUP]1[/SUP]
  • Included earphones and accessories
  • Coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage,[SUP]2[/SUP] each subject to a service fee of $29 for screen damage, or $99 for any other damage, plus applicable

Last edited:

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
You only get two uses for Apple Care so why waste it on a nick? Save it for another day and you'll get two birds with one stone. ;)

btru82

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
It's a waste for a nick on the mute switch of all places. Likely you can only feel it and not even see it. Wait for a real issue to burn 1 of your apple care uses.

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
That's what I'm thinking but just knowing it's there is really annoying lol. It's brand new and wanted to make it at least a month or two lol

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
So I just noticed that some how I nicked my mute switch to where I can feel it with my nail. So I'm trying to decide if I wanna use my apple care, or rock it naked now and wait for more damage then apple care.... or try to forget it's there

Wait.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I feel like you're asking because you know it's just a little bit crazy to use an AppleCare+ incident on a nick on your silent switch. I can totally understand that it's annoying--especially on a brand new phone--but it's probably a good idea to hold off and wait for something a little more substantial to happen. Either way, let us know what you decide!

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Well I'm with in my 14 day return window so I'm trying to work something out with Verizon to swap it out to the 256GB model. And no I haven't told them about the nick lol

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Well I'm with in my 14 day return window so I'm trying to work something out with Verizon to swap it out to the 256GB model. And no I haven't told them about the nick lol

That's not right.

Per Verizon: "All merchandise must be in like?new condition and accompanied by the original receipt".

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Are you bragging that you are going to scam Verizon? I doubt you are going to find too many in here that think its cool. People returning damaged merchandise drives the prices up for everyone.

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Not bragging just saying I want a bigger phone so IF I can switch since I'm ALMOST OUT of my 14 day return time, then I'll do it and I'll BE PAYING MORE OVER THE NEXT YEAR. If I can't switch bc they have a low inventory then I'll deal with it and USE MY APPLE CARE CLAIM

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Not bragging just saying I want a bigger phone so IF I can switch since I'm ALMOST OUT of my 14 day return time, then I'll do it and I'll BE PAYING MORE OVER THE NEXT YEAR. If I can't switch bc they have a low inventory then I'll deal with it and USE MY APPLE CARE CLAIM

It's one thing to switch out a like-new phone because you want more storage or a different color or, heck, even if you're not happy with the phone and have buyer's remorse. That's what their return policy is for, and why you pay a $35 restocking fee.

It's another thing entirely to return a slightly damaged phone and then attempt to justify it by saying you'll be paying more over the next year (approximately $4/month). That's not right.

zog1977

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Kinda.. but I'm also going to be paying more per month to have more memory so I can store more songs

not kinda, you are scamming. You have a damaged phone. it is not like new.

I have no respect for people that do that kind of stuff

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

When they discover the nick, they'll add the repair cost to your bill. They do examine the phones.

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
not kinda, you are scamming. You have a damaged phone. it is not like new.

I have no respect for people like you.

That's cool bc I'm sure there's **** you've done in your life that I wouldn't respect you for as well.. so why don't you go ahead and hop off this thread

zog1977

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
That's cool bc I'm sure there's **** you've done in your life that I wouldn't respect you for as well.. so why don't you go ahead and hop off this thread

there really isnt, but oh well

and i am happy to stay in this thread :)

thanks!

Last edited:

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Friendly reminder, folks...

[INFO]
P.U.P.P.A.H.
(Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)​
Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you’re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you’re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
Be a pro. Don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ‘think before you post’.
Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members’ problem.[/INFO]

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711