Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Default Best "Show off case" for Jet black??!

Hey so now I finally receive my jet black phone and I LOVE it without a case. I bought the Ringke clear case before I got the phone because it had good reviews. However, it is so reflective and so much a fingerprint magnet that I can't see the jet black through the clear case. Has anyone had any luck finding a transparent or translucent case that is more of a matte so it isn't so reflective and you can see the jet black through the case nicely? I don't want to scratch the thing but if a case takes away from the color than I don't know why it matters if it's scratched or not!
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    2,627 Global Posts

Default Re: Best "Show off case" for Jet black??!

I'm using a Spigen Neo Hybrid in black, I bought it to use with the Jet Black, however I have the Matte Black. Either way, the clear back is perfect for what you're looking for and the black edge of the case looks very nice with the rest of the phone.
    iMore Intermediate

be aware of stuff like that...
    Best "Show off case" for Jet black??!-image.jpg
    seen on macrumors, don't have mine yet.

I plan to wrap mine in a naked wrap by slickwraps and put it in an ultra hybrid by spigen then, i hope the naked skin prevents this ugly effect :/
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jpxyz View Post
    be aware of stuff like that...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	810.8 KB 
ID:	112509
    seen on macrumors, don't have mine yet.

I plan to wrap mine in a naked wrap by slickwraps and put it in an ultra hybrid by spigen then, i hope the naked skin prevents this ugly effect :/
    I have a bestskinsever gloss "naked" skin on the back of my JB 7+ and one of the cases I purchased still does that

iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by Rmorton0573 View Post
    I have a bestskinsever gloss "naked" skin on the back of my JB 7+ and one of the cases I purchased still does that

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...249674fb97.jpg
    Ugh. damn.... maybe it's better with the matte skin?
    But it's definitely terrible, I mean we buy a clear case to show the beauty off and then something like that happens....
    Rmorton0573 likes this.
    iMore Newbie

I have tried 7 different clear cases and they all have that nasty rainbow/wet looking effect. The best case I have found so far is the otter box statement series case from apple. Def adds a bit more bulk and is pricier but the design is perfect for the jet black plus I have.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    2,605 Global Posts

This kind of thread just kills me. We buy the sexiest color/style/design phone we can, and wrap it in layers of protective clothing. They might just as well make 0.30" slab phones, with tons of battery and other goodies, and then sell us the cases to keep it from being destroyed in every day use. Imagine that, function over form, and you just choose the "form" after the fact...
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Rhino shield crash guard. It's a bumper but a very protective. They make front and back protectives as well.
    https://rhinoshield.io
    jdfry15 likes this.
    iMore Newbie

I have a glossy clear skin from http://www.bestskinsever.com/iphone-7-skins for my 7plus gold. I can't stand using a case and the skin gives it good protection from scratches and doesn't seem to be a fingerprint magnet. I have AppleCare plus so not worried.
    iMore Newbie

I only wish that I was able to get ahold of a jet black instead of gold because it would look so good with a clear skin on it!
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    128 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dralex87 View Post
    Rhino shield crash guard. It's a bumper but a very protective. They make front and back protectives as well.
    I second rhinoshield. Just get the bumper though. That way the front and back are exposed. Beautiful and well protected.
    iMore Beginner

Originally I went with the Speck Presidio Clear Case but had a hard time installing on my JB 7 Plus. Speck is ware of this issue (I called them) and is a known problem. This effect the Jet Black only. The gentleman from Speck stated that Apple's process in polishing the JB made the phone a wee bit thicker hence the issue. It is being returned. Buyer beware!

Today I picked up the Otter Box Symmetry Clear Case (a bit expensive) from Verizon. BTW, this particular case is 25% off at Verizon for their customers. Their site states it's out of stock but they're in some of the stores.

I like it as it shows off the sleekness and beauty of the phone while keeping a low profile. It also has excellent grip control.

http://forums.imore.com/e?link=http%...token=JoJVoDuL

As a side note all crystal clear cases will start to yellow due to UV light. To prevent this from occurring a coating has to be added but this will place a bit of haze to the case which will prevent it from being crystal clear.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

I was talking about the Jet Black 7 at the Apple store this morning and she showed me a display model that has been handled by a million people since the launch and it didnt have a scratch on it. It looked perfect. The rumors about it scratching easily is not true
    MasterDarque likes this.
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    iMore Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Rmorton0573 View Post

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...249674fb97.jpg
    How do we stop this insanity?!
    Rmorton0573 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,842 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RobertP1 View Post
    I was talking about the Jet Black 7 at the Apple store this morning and she showed me a display model that has been handled by a million people since the launch and it didnt have a scratch on it. It looked perfect. The rumors about it scratching easily is not true
    With such compelling evidence why worry. /s
    w00cash1020 likes this.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iMike1983 View Post
    How do we stop this insanity?!
    I have two cases I'm using now. The Otterbox Symmetry Clear, and the Product Red  leather case. Although the Symmetry is clear it is not crystal clear. The back has a tent to it I'm assuming for the UV protection the phone looks good in the case, but it does take away that polished look. I picked up the Product Red leather case today. I didn't think I would want to cover my phone with an  case. However, I tried it on at the store and the red on Jet Black looks really sweet.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    128 Global Posts

Default Best "Show off case" for Jet black??!

I picked up a black Apple leather case for my matte black Plus. So perfect. I also will take delivery on the black Rhinoshield Crashguard tomorrow.

iPhone 7 Plus Case - RhinoShield [CrashGuard] Bumper [11 Ft Drop Tested] No Bulk [ShockSpread Technology] Thin Lightweight Protection - Slim Rugged Cover [Black] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LEK876S...mUvbUpU2826225

Last edited by Michial Brown; 10-02-2016 at 01:22 AM.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    771 Global Posts

You do know that when a phone gets moderately/visibly scratched they swap it out with a brand new one, right?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    771 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dejanh View Post
    With such compelling evidence why worry. /s

Quote Originally Posted by dralex87 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michial Brown View Post
    I second rhinoshield. Just get the bumper though. That way the front and back are exposed. Beautiful and well protected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michial Brown View Post
    I picked up a black Apple leather case for my matte black Plus. So perfect. I also will take delivery on the black Rhinoshield Crashguard tomorrow.
    I've heard good things about the bumper. Might be good to add a clear skin to protect the finish but not sure if installing the bumper will interfere with that.

Good reason for a clear skin on this one if you go with a bumper.
    taeisme likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    7,283 Global Posts

The rhino shield bumper is fantastic (I had it for the 6Plus and have ordered the 7Plus). I'd recommend that plus a glossy best skin ever (bestskinsever.com) simple back skin. It should work with the bumper as it doesn't cradle around the edges of the phone.

On a side note I returned my Jet Black for a Matte Black 7plus because I liked the Matte Black better. But putting it in case defeats the purpose of it in my opinion.
    rudyalexc likes this.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    128 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by donnation View Post
    The rhino shield bumper is fantastic (I had it for the 6Plus and have ordered the 7Plus). I'd recommend that plus a glossy best skin ever (bestskinsever.com) simple back skin. It should work with the bumper as it doesn't cradle around the edges of the phone.

On a side note I returned my Jet Black for a Matte Black 7plus because I liked the Matte Black better. But putting it in case defeats the purpose of it in my opinion.
    The matte is really beautiful. The Rhinoshield is quite nice, protecting the phone yet allowing you to touch the front and back of it and allow the phone to be uncovered is great. I'm passing on the screen protectors. I've never used one from the 3GS forward.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rudyalexc View Post
    You do know that when a phone gets moderately/visibly scratched they swap it out with a brand new one, right?
    I do understand it, but do you understand it has only been released a few weeks?

I'd imagine the phone must go through more than hands to scratch easily. Pockets, purses, surfaces and other factors could play an important role as well.
    rudyalexc likes this.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast