Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By felloffthetruck
  • 1 Post By Indabaa
  • 1 Post By PDXMatt
  • 2 Post By worldspy99
  • 1 Post By jpxyz
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Default Best Clear Case?

What would you consider to be the best clear case for the 7 Plus? I'm looking for something that would protect the phone if it were to fall face down.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    408 Global Posts

Default Re: Best Clear Case?

Insignia (Best Buy brand) makes an inexpensive silicone clear case. I ran it for two days and liked it. Fairly slim, too. Speck has the Presidio clear. Slightly bulkier, but is much more of a clear case than the Insignia is (it has a slight pattern). I'm using that now and totally dig it.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts

I just ordered this in smoke black... https://www.amazon.com/Ringke-Protec...mUvbUpU2824331
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    372 Global Posts

For Apple iPhone 7 7 Plus Ultra Thin Transparent Clear Shockproof Bumper Case | eBay

I just bought this one, It's a little slick but with the black matte its amazing
    iMore Beginner

I went with the Speck Presidio Clear Case. I find it not bulky (slim design), offers drop protection, shows slim profile of the 7 Plus, all ports and buttons accessible, case supposedly will not yellow (time will tell), lip to help protect screen....I installed the ZAGG Clear Glass to further protect the screen

Negatives tight fit with some slight difficulty in installing, pricey but offers an elegant solution

I would recommend this case.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...mUvbUpU2824544
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    703 Global Posts

As a fan of clear cases, please keep us posted on how your chosen cases hold up in regards to yellowing. Thanks!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    4,974 Global Posts

Otterbox Symmetry clear is a good one.
    Annie_i6s and TVTechGrl like this.
    iMore Intermediate

Default Best Clear Case?

I buy the spigen clear one from amazon. It is ok and cheap, like $7. But it turns yellowish over time. I have bought these ones for 3 yrs now. But they protect the phone long enough for me to buy AppleCare+ and typically a lifeproof case.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

I think spigen and caseology clear cases are good for iPhone 7 or 7 Plus. But I think every clear case will turn in yellow after few months.
    PDXMatt likes this.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Indabaa View Post
    I think spigen and caseology clear cases are good for iPhone 7 or 7 Plus. But I think every clear case will turn in yellow after few months.
    I find that it's mostly the corners that turn yellow. Of you get something like this.

iPhone 6 Plus Case, Spigen [Ultra Hybrid Series] AIR CUSHION [Black] Air Cushion Technology Corners Bumper Case with Clear Back Panel for iPhone 6 Plus (2014) - Black (SGP10898) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JH837NI...mUvbUpU2825072

With boarders they don't really turn yellow.
    Indabaa likes this.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    18,272 Global Posts

I have been chasing clear cases for the iPhone 7 Plus for a while now. If you don't believe it, see the picture below. There are pros and cons to all of the cases.

1. Pretty much every clear case will turn yellow over time. The TPU has aromatic carbon rings in the polymer structure and these rings do break down with exposure to light - fluoroscent lighting is actually terrible for it.UV rays in the sunlight also contribute to the breakdown of the polymer which in turn leads to yellowing. Cheaper cases do not have any blockers added to them so they yellow faster than cases from reputable manufacturers but regardless of quality, the exposure to light or oxidizing agents (bleach or bleach based cleaners) will exacerbate and accelerate the degradation process.

2. You need to determine what parameters are important to you. Want a rugged case with lots of protection, want a crystal clear hard case, want a clear soft case, want some protection or maximum show off? Only you can decide what you want and then look through Amazon and read reviews (more detailed the better) and decide.

If you want help deciding once you have made up your mind about what things are important to you in a clear case (besides it being clear) feel free to PM me. If you want to try out a couple of cases, ping me, I can send some over for free if you cover shipping. I don't plan on using all of the clear cases that I have accumulated :-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20160930_08_15_05_Pro (2).jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	715.4 KB 
ID:	112479
    Annie_i6s and Indabaa like this.
    iMore Intermediate

I've had some bad experiences with a thin fit clear Spigen case.
    After 1,5 years of usage on my iPhone 6plus it doesn't fit properly anymore and it also scratched the back of it, by dirt getting between it and the phone.

This year and with my iPhone 7plus I'll go with the Ultra Hybrid.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NEW_title_iPh6_uh_blk_1024x1024.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	112483
    jdfry15 likes this.