iPhone 7 Plus annoying creaking/clicking sound

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
It's most likely coil wine. For some reason some iPhone sevens are louder than others. If you listen really hard you can hear it on any iPhone, or most electronics. It's the processor under load creating unfortunate acoustics.

If it's allowed enough to annoy you, absolutely go to Apple and have it swapped out.

Seeing it first hand on my wife's first 7 plus, this clicking/creaking sound is no coil wine. It has nothing to do with the processor. I'm assuming your referring to that hissing sound that has been mentioned.

rudyalexc

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Seeing it first hand on my wife's first 7 plus, this clicking/creaking sound is no coil wine. It has nothing to do with the processor. I'm assuming your referring to that hissing sound that has been mentioned.
Most likely it has to do with any of the following:

1. Loose screen
2. Water sealed adhesive
3. Combination of the two likely failing.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Most likely it has to do with any of the following:

1. Loose screen
2. Water sealed adhesive
3. Combination of the two likely failing.

Loose screen possibly. Adhesive? No way. It wouldn't make that type of sound with adhesive.

gattzzz

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
I have this problem with my 7 plus that I received on launch from AT&T. Made an appointment the following Wednesday after release at my nearest Genius bar and all they could tell me is that they think it is the adhesive under the glass and not to worry about it affecting anything. Since I purchased through AT&T they were unable to replace the device on the spot and since it is still so new they did not have any replacement parts available to try to fix it. They told me to check back in within the next couple of weeks to see if I can try to have it repaired. Otherwise I would need to go through AT&T and who knows if they'll have any replacement devices for me.

mustang8918

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Something is loose because with a case on it doesn't do it. The case is putting enough pressure on the screen to keep it from moving.

H_D

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
I have this problem with my 7 plus that I received on launch from AT&T. Made an appointment the following Wednesday after release at my nearest Genius bar and all they could tell me is that they think it is the adhesive under the glass and not to worry about it affecting anything. Since I purchased through AT&T they were unable to replace the device on the spot and since it is still so new they did not have any replacement parts available to try to fix it. They told me to check back in within the next couple of weeks to see if I can try to have it repaired. Otherwise I would need to go through AT&T and who knows if they'll have any replacement devices for me.

My advice is to speak with a manager at your Apple store. They should be able to issue a replacement phone without issue. If you're referring to returning and purchasing another one, then yes, your only option is AT&T where you'd originally made your purchase.

rudyalexc

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

That is quite weird. They should be able to replace your phone as it is an Apple product first and foremost and they are covered under your 1-year warranty.

mustang8918

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
So I went into this knowing that it couldn't be replaced since there are none in my area. This store is packed and you can barely hear the person next to you when your talking to them. The tech says he can't hear the sound but I could hear it just barely because the store was so loud and crowded. I even tried one of the 7 plus on display and it did it. The guy takes it in the back where it's supposedly quieter and comes out a few minutes later and says that neither him nor three other people could hear it (a bunch of bull unless they are half death). So he says he made some notes and said that they don't have any tools yet to take the screen off to check it. My solution is that I'll just keep a case on it for now and maybe in a month I'll take it back and see if they have the tools to check the screen.

Michial Brown

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It's most likely coil wine. For some reason some iPhone sevens are louder than others. If you listen really hard you can hear it on any iPhone, or most electronics. It's the processor under load creating unfortunate acoustics.

If it's allowed enough to annoy you, absolutely go to Apple and have it swapped out.

I have a matte black and if I stick my ear up to the back I can hear the coil whine, especially during my new restore the first day I got the phone. But I don't typically put my ear up to the back of my phone so as long as I can't hear it otherwise I'll just ignore it. But if there shouldn't be any noise then I'm concerned.

H_D

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
So I finally tracked down a 7+ at a Best Buy. First thing I'd tested out of the box was the build quality and (knock on wood) no creaks or clicking whatsoever. It seems as though I've finally found a well built 7+ and can get back to enjoying the device.

Orioncop

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site

I think his is different, not a whine or hissing, an audible creek when pressing on the screen in one corner. I didn't think he was even talking about the whole processor sounds, as some others have mentioned. I agree with you on that point regarding the reason.

mustang8918

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Spoke to another apple chat rep today and I'm just going to exchange my phone for another one once they have them back in stock. Hopefully that is tonight or tomorrow night. I'll let everyone know how the new one is once I get it.

mustang8918

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm just like one of the other members, if I hadn't read it and checked it I probably wouldn't notice it but now that I know it's bugging me. Of course if the screen is indeed lifting, which seems to be what's happening, then that could pose a problem when the phone gets wet.

DianaAW

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
So I finally tracked down a 7+ at a Best Buy. First thing I'd tested out of the box was the build quality and (knock on wood) no creaks or clicking whatsoever. It seems as though I've finally found a well built 7+ and can get back to enjoying the device.

Did you check for the unusual amount of background white noise/hiss when playing back a recorded video, especially recording in a quiet environment?

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Mine does it even in the case. If I hold it in landscape mode by the corners and slightly twist I can hear a loud clicking. The screen cover glass does not appear to be glued down solid. Needless to say, I'm not impressed. Tomorrow is my last day to return to Verizon and it's going back. My 6S+ does not make any noise at all. To maintain integrity for waterproofness, the seal must be maintained. And the fact that if water does get in, the damage will not be covered by any warranties. This makes the device defective. For over $1k post taxes, this is simply unacceptable.

mustang8918

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Since I'm also getting the dropped signal, even though I'm with verizon, in areas that I didn't before, and local stores aren't getting my storage size and color in stock now. Also, my return window ends tomorrow. I returned my 7+ and will just wait a while and get another after these bugs and defects are fixed.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73