AT&T Pre-orders. WHATS HAPPENING?!

iMike1983

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
I ordered my jet black iPhone 7 Plus at 3:05 AM Eastern time on 9/9. I would have thought I'd be at the beginning of the line but my status has remained "preparing to ship" with a 10/14-10/21 ship date! I even called AT&T who gave some Bs story about how the carriers haven't gotten any jet blacks at all and that my ship dates were "very good". I think it's safe to say this is the LAST time I do the pre-order through AT&T. Has there been any movement for anyone else?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
AT&T Pre-orders. WHATS HAPPENING?!

I ordered my jet black iPhone 7 Plus at 3:05 AM Eastern time on 9/9. I would have thought I'd be at the beginning of the line but my status has remained "preparing to ship" with a 10/14-10/21 ship date! I even called AT&T who gave some Bs story about how the carriers haven't gotten any jet blacks at all and that my ship dates were "very good". I think it's safe to say this is the LAST time I do the pre-order through AT&T. Has there been any movement for anyone else?

I have a friend who ordered Jet black 7 Plus with apple. His order got placed at 12:10 am PST on the 9th. His ship date is November. So you really think it's better elsewhere?

Also to add considering 35% of all preorders were jet black, how long they take to do the finish, and 35-40% not passing quality testing due to un acceptable completion of the finish and having to be redone is causing this to happen. You order jet black and this is what you deal with.

Espo

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I learned my lesson 2 years ago with the 6+ and ordering through AT&T, pre-ordered on Sept 9, 2014, and was told an early November delivery date, I sat on it for 4 weeks thinking it would come sooner, I ended up canceling the order and going to an Apple store and buying it outright.

Fast forward to this year, iPhone 7+, I pre-ordered on Apple.com early in the AM on Sept 9, had an estimate delivery date of 10/4-10/10, so I was browsing iStockNow.com, saw a local Apple store had the 7+ I wanted, canceled my pre-order and re-ordered it on Apple.com for in store pickup.

Some people who pre-ordered early in the AM on 9/9 got their phones on release day, but the majority of orders are pushed off until late Sept, early Oct and some even early Nov. I say if you have an Apple store near by, cancel your pre-order and just wait for the store to have some in stock (unless you're talking about Jet Black, there is a global shortage of those right now).

dstrauss

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Sorry folks, but this ain't right. My order went up 9/10 (iP7+, black, 256gb); frozen on 10/5-10/11 delivery; yet they have them in Apple stores 350 miles on either side of where I live. Now granted, an Apple-holic should live close to one of the mother ship docks, but we all can't be so fortunate. But it STINKS that pre-orders go unfilled while walk-ins can pick them up at their local Apple palace weeks earlier than I'll ever see mine.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Sorry folks, but this ain't right. My order went up 9/10 (iP7+, black, 256gb); frozen on 10/5-10/11 delivery; yet they have them in Apple stores 350 miles on either side of where I live. Now granted, an Apple-holic should live close to one of the mother ship docks, but we all can't be so fortunate. But it STINKS that pre-orders go unfilled while walk-ins can pick them up at their local Apple palace weeks earlier than I'll ever see mine.

It's always be that way. Some phones will always go to stores because it's still creating lines at most Apple stores everyday. They still need to create traffic and excitement for the stores. When you preordered you were given a date. It was your choice to place the order. This will never change about apple stores getting stock in daily even though orders are out a few weeks. Just part of the business.

Espo

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
It is sad, and it sucks, especially for those who do not live near an Apple Store. I learned my lesson, for now on I will wait for the stores to get some in stock which is faster than waiting for a pre-order to delivery a month after ordering.

I did find out that you can order one for pickup in an Apple Store and select the name of someone who you want to pick the phone up for you, so if you know anyone (friend/family member/co-worker) near an Apple Store, maybe they will be nice enough to help you out, go pickup your phone and ship it to you (which will STILL be faster than waiting for a pre-order).

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
If you order the most popular model in the most popular color, this is what happens. It's going to be amazing when it arrives, though!

iMike1983

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
If you order the most popular model in the most popular color, this is what happens. It's going to be amazing when it arrives, though!

I know what you mean and I wouldn't even be complaining if I didn't see that a ton of little 12 yr olds on YouTube are unboxing the jet black 7 plus. Not the reviewers who get them early, just Joe Schmoe *****. It's frustrating as all hell. I agree though the phone will be worth the wait!

Stone Cold RN

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I spoke to the manager of Best Buy's mobile department. He told me that everyone who pre-ordered with them on 9/9 had their phones over launch weekend. This includes jet blacks and pluses. There I sat having ordered in the Sprint store 9/9 and finally got it yesterday. I'm going with Best Buy next year

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I spoke to the manager of Best Buy's mobile department. He told me that everyone who pre-ordered with them on 9/9 had their phones over launch weekend. This includes jet blacks and pluses. There I sat having ordered in the Sprint store 9/9 and finally got it yesterday. I'm going with Best Buy next year

And that BB manager blew so much smoke up your rear end.

DNRuffin

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I pre-ordered the AT&T iPhone 7 Plus Jet Black from Apple through the Apple Store app at 2:01 AM (Central Time) on 9/9 and I received my phone on the 19th. I'd never pre-order through the carriers or use anything other than the Apple Store app.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site

I didn't know Hillary was a BB manager! :p

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
If color is not important you can pick up at almost any Apple Store. My store has yet to get any of the black models.

dstrauss

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all of the explanations and Apple apologist statements - it still is horse-hockey that pre-orders fall behind store traffic. Some of you are right, I should know better because it was the exact same mess for the 6 Plus and 6s Plus - stayed up until ungodly hour of the morning with orders confirmed within the first five minutes only to end up with delivery dates 2-4 weeks AFTER release day.

Of course, this one is some kind of karmic revenge from Steve's grave because I dared to try a Galaxy Note 7, and AT&T confiscated my 6s Plus in exchange - only to find out Samsung really is an inferior OEM, so it was the day after Armageddon before I could place my order (9/10) so I guess I just need to suffer my punishment for daring to leave teh walled garden, even for two weeks...:concern::mad::sick:

iMike1983

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
I can't believe it. My status just went to back order.
I ordered in AT&T store just after they opened on the 9th. A 7 plus jet black 256.

I just got mine yesterday. Out of nowhere my shipping date went from 10/14-10/21 to shipping now. So it could change at any moment. However, through talking to att I have been told that they were never stocked in their warehouses with the jet black and very few mattes. So it's possible that mine could have been the last of the initial shipment and you are now waiting on the next batch. I hope it changes soon!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro