Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Beginner

Default Water Resistance - Cracked Screen

Ok...so it happened already!

So sitting at a restaurant in Destin, FL, and my phone slips out of my pocket (had on gym shorts) and it hits the concrete ground (we were eating outside). 2.5 feet high fall...maybe 3 at the most, and i did not have a case on it. Pick it up and it has 3 places on the front (bottom left corner, top left corner, and bottom right corner) where there are hairline cracks in the screen. I have insurance through AT&T and i submitted a claim and i think my deductible will be $225 (UGH!!!).

My question is, do you think this has ruined the integrity of the water resistance of the phone?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    349 Global Posts

Default Re: Water Resistance - Cracked Screen

Quote Originally Posted by konjis1 View Post
    Ok...so it happened already!

So sitting at a restaurant in Destin, FL, and my phone slips out of my pocket (had on gym shorts) and it hits the concrete ground (we were eating outside). 2.5 feet high fall...maybe 3 at the most, and i did not have a case on it. Pick it up and it has 3 places on the front (bottom left corner, top left corner, and bottom right corner) where there are hairline cracks in the screen. I have insurance through AT&T and i submitted a claim and i think my deductible will be $225 (UGH!!!).

My question is, do you think this has ruined the integrity of the water resistance of the phone?
    Possibly but I doubt it. That's a pretty good strength of glass to just crack and not shatter. I wouldn't drop it in a pool and expect it to work now but the cracks should be put standing water.

Also to you normally keep your phones naked? I wear gym shorts all the time and always fear of my phone falling out but I keep cases on them with tempered glass protectors
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by tekjunkie28 View Post
    Possibly but I doubt it. That's a pretty good strength of glass to just crack and not shatter. I wouldn't drop it in a pool and expect it to work now but the cracks should be put standing water.

Also to you normally keep your phones naked? I wear gym shorts all the time and always fear of my phone falling out but I keep cases on them with tempered glass protectors
    Nope...normally i have a case on it, but so happens i took it off prior to going to the restaurant. Thanks for your insight....just a little bummed right now! Ugh!

Ugh! Pictures of the drama please!!!

Put a case on that thing and best of luck on the new device.
    Annie_i6s likes this.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    712 Global Posts

Nope...normally i have a case on it, but so happens i took it off prior to going to the restaurant. Thanks for your insight....just a little bummed right now! Ugh!
    I feel so bad for you!!! I would also put a case and screen protector on it.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Beginner

I will take pics tonight with my wife's phone and post them (at work right now). Thanks everyone!

This hurts my heart. I threw my phone in the tempered glass and a case immediately.

I'd also check with Apple. Although you don't have AppleCare+, I'm pretty sure the cost to repair your phone is only $149 if it is ONLY the screen. That way you won't waste a claim and you'll save money. I personally went with AppleCare+. $29 for a screen repair is awesome.

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/screen-damage
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    712 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Quis89 View Post
    This hurts my heart. I threw my phone in the tempered glass and a case immediately.

I'd also check with Apple. Although you don't have AppleCare+, I'm pretty sure the cost to repair your phone is only $149 if it is ONLY the screen. That way you won't waste a claim and you'll save money. I personally went with AppleCare+. $29 for a screen repair is awesome.

Definitely good food for thought. Isn't there a period of time after you purchase a new phone that you can add AppleCare?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    408 Global Posts

Add AppleCare+ or go to Apple and fix the screen. It's ~$150 for either phone, and you can keep your NEW phone and not get some reman one for $225. GL

Quote Originally Posted by Annie_i6s View Post
    Definitely good food for thought. Isn't there a period of time after you purchase a new phone that you can add AppleCare?
    60 days.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iMore Beginner

WOW! Thank you all for all of this info! I will be going to the Apple store after work!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    611 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by neurodave View Post
    Add AppleCare+ or go to Apple and fix the screen. It's ~$150 for either phone, and you can keep your NEW phone and not get some reman one for $225. GL
    If you add AppleCare+, I think they ask you to go to Apple Store... they inspect the phone to be sure it isn't already busted...
    JML5150 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    902 Global Posts

$225?! Really? That's sure not much of a bargain.
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    iMore Beginner

Oooh...that could be a problem! But they will fix the screen for $149 right without Apple Care?

With out Apple care $129 Screen only.

Other damage and screen is $319

With Apple care it's $29 for screen only

Other damage it's $99
    Rob Phillips likes this.
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    iMore Beginner

Again thank you all for all of your insight! I just scheduled an appointment for this Saturday at our local Apple store. It will be $149 for repair and they will do it in the store.
    Annie_i6s likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Default Water Resistance - Cracked Screen

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Girl View Post
    If you add AppleCare+, I think they ask you to go to Apple Store... they inspect the phone to be sure it isn't already busted...
    I have purchased AppleCare+ online and didn't take it in at least once.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    660 Global Posts

use a case!!!!!
    iMore Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Girl View Post
    Nope. They send you a text that lets them check the phone for issues remotely. You can buy it from home or work, and everywhere in between.
    knotsure likes this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

I would try taking it to an Apple Store first. My girlfriend did the same to her 6 and they fixed it for free. They said since it wasn't shattered and only hairline cracks that it was covered under warranty.
    knotsure likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by dralex87 View Post
    I would try taking it to an Apple Store first. My girlfriend did the same to her 6 and they fixed it for free. They said since it wasn't shattered and only hairline cracks that it was covered under warranty.
    This happened to me as well with my 6plus. They could see that there was no impact marks and they repaired it with one hairline crack for free.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by knotsure View Post
    This happened to me as well with my 6plus. They could see that there was no impact marks and they repaired it with one hairline crack for free.
    If I remember right I told them it was dropped. 3 of the 4 corners had pretty nice size cracks on them. I drove there thinking it was going to cost me $110 or $120 and drove away without spending a dime. It was a good day lol
    knotsure likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    4,296 Global Posts

I could never understand how anyone could use an iPhone without a case. They are so slippery to hold I would be afraid of dropping it. I always use a case and depending on the device and insurance I have sometimes screen protection. Good luck with your repairs.
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by dralex87 View Post
    If I remember right I told them it was dropped. 3 of the 4 corners had pretty nice size cracks on them. I drove there thinking it was going to cost me $110 or $120 and drove away without spending a dime. It was a good day lol
    In my case the 6plus cracked while In my pocket with no impact. Still don't know how but they told me sometimes the insides are a little off and could crack the screen, or something like that.

Again thank you all for all of your insight! I just scheduled an appointment for this Saturday at our local Apple store. It will be $149 for repair and they will do it in the store.
    Great! Be sure to let us know how it goes when you're done
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast