Underwhelmed but not disappointed.

MonkeyJunky

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
I got my 7 Plus on release day. It's always fun to get a shiny new toy, and I was excited to unwrap it and set it up. It set up flawlessly, and dropped me right back into my comfort zone with iOS 10 and a reliable smart phone. Camera takes great pictures, stereo speaker is definitely an improvement, and it does feel snappier than my out going 6S Plus.

But honestly, I could have lived with my previous phone for another year and I wouldn't have been missing anything I desperately want or need from this new device. Nothing has charmed me or blown my socks off really. Its just a really efficient, well running iPhone, which is exactly what my 6S Plus was as well.

No hating on it, its a lovely device and it works as good or better than I expect iPhone's to year in and year out. Unfortunately I'm actually starting to FEEL that statement now. Year in...Year out. I don't feel like anything screams to me as worthy of the "upgrade" really, its just another great iPhone.

I hate to do this because it's almost always a sure fire way to get disappointed within your own fantasy, but I really REALLY hope the next generation is a big enhancement both visually and technologically. Right now I feel like I bought an iPhone 6S Plus S and could take it or leave it.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I understand the sentiment. In all honesty, the 7 devices aren't HUGE upgrades from the 6S line. My wife is still struggling to find the differences in experiences from her 6S to her 7. Everyday use doesn't offer much beyond what she had before. That's not to say these are bad phones. I just don't believe they are for those who upgrade every year.

I went with the Plus this year around and so for me, I'm impressed. But I'm sure I'd be equally impressed had I gotten a 6S Plus this year instead of a 7 Plus. But I love the new colors.

Tersanyus

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Understand that too. I went from a silver 6s Plus 64gb to a matte black 7 Plus 32gb. First time I've had a black iPhone since the 5 (non S). I stopped getting the 16gb models once the 6 series came out as even back then I experienced low storage. Glad Apple went to 32gb as the bottom storage.

I'm not really missing the extra 32gb from my 6s Plus. I'm not using iCloud but rather onedrive for all my cloud storage. Probably also helps I have a 12.9 iPad Pro with 128gb of storage.

For me Yeah I don't see much difference between the 6s plus and the 7 Plus. I'm hoping Apple makes iOS 10 updates to make the 7 Plus a better phone.

clouds0222

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
I did the same. I purchased a 7 Plus coming from a 6s Plus, and after using it for about a week, I just returned the 7 Plus. It didn't offer any significant changes to warrant keeping it in my opinion. My 6s Plus is still just as fast and has everything I need in a smartphone. Plus my 6s Plus is paid off (YAY) which means cheaper cell phone bill for the next year....I do hope they offer some major changes next year.

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
If my previous 6s Plus was paid off, I would have probably just kept it. It wouldn't have been worth the extra 40 bucks on my cell bill for the phone payment to upgrade. But since I already had a payment, and it doesn't make sense to continue paying on a phone that has suddenly decreased in value, it only made sense to upgrade. My payment did go down this year since the 128GB is the middle model instead of the top like last year.

MonkeyJunky

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
One redeeming quality I have found is the fact that I don't have to worry so much about water damage since I'm on the lake a lot. Before I really always made sure I had my water resistant case for my 6S Plus, which was kind of a pain to take on and off and sometimes made pictures a bit foggy. This new device kind of eliminates that worry and I can just stick it in my pocket whether I'm fishing or out on the boat and not having that extra bulky case is a really nice perk.

I suppose if there was a quality of this device that keeps me from throwing it online to make a handsome profit for someone who can't get one yet, it is that. Other than that, I really can't figure out anything else that pulls me in, and that kind of bums me out.

I don't mean to sound like a troll, and it's certainly not my intention, but in my opinion Apple really needs to make some waves over the next 12 months to pull some of us life long fans back in with some interest. My mind starts to wander toward other devices to step out of the ecosystem, and I don't really want to do that since I like the efficiency and overall quality of what I've been used to. Its just becoming a bit boring to me.

Sooks

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Honestly I am in the same boat. I have upgraded every single iPhone every single year including this year however, this is the first year I am actually tempted to return it and stick to my 6S plus. As others have said, using this phone for over a week now there isn't a lot that feels different from my 6S Plus. The phone isn't noticeably faster, the batter life remains the same (for me) and the camera (although slightly better color accuracy) doesn't leave me feeling like its a major upgrade over my 6S Plus (even with the dual system). However the new home button I love, and the water resistance is nice... but is a new (maybe better maybe not) home button and water resistance worth a monthly cost or an upgrade? I am leaning towards no for this year.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I tend to agree with a lot of these statements. It's a marginal upgrade and may not be worth the cost. I love the black models so am enjoying that, but that's purely aesthetics. From a functionality perspective, nothing was a huge leap. The 6S line is perfectly fine and worth keeping around for those who don't want to drop the big bucks for the 7 line. I like having a new device every year, though, so I'll keep mine. But I'm crazy like that.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
One redeeming quality I have found is the fact that I don't have to worry so much about water damage since I'm on the lake a lot. Before I really always made sure I had my water resistant case for my 6S Plus, which was kind of a pain to take on and off and sometimes made pictures a bit foggy. This new device kind of eliminates that worry and I can just stick it in my pocket whether I'm fishing or out on the boat and not having that extra bulky case is a really nice perk.

I suppose if there was a quality of this device that keeps me from throwing it online to make a handsome profit for someone who can't get one yet, it is that. Other than that, I really can't figure out anything else that pulls me in, and that kind of bums me out.

I don't mean to sound like a troll, and it's certainly not my intention, but in my opinion Apple really needs to make some waves over the next 12 months to pull some of us life long fans back in with some interest. My mind starts to wander toward other devices to step out of the ecosystem, and I don't really want to do that since I like the efficiency and overall quality of what I've been used to. Its just becoming a bit boring to me.

You're NOT sounding like a troll at all, my friend, and what you are saying makes perfect sense, in my opinion. I've stated in another thread that the iPhone 6S Plus is the best iPhone I've ever used and that I honestly don't need to get an iPhone 7/7 Plus, although I know I'll get one...:)

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Rose gold 6s+

Ah, well in your case, I'd assume your phone still works flawlessly. I've said this before, I had the 6S prior to the 7 Plus. I would NOT get a 7. The differences are so minimal, IMO, that it doesn't justify the spending.

Maybe the same can be said for the 6S+ to the 7+. I'm not sure because I never used the 6S+. But on paper, I'm not sure exactly what more you'd be getting by switching aside from a processor boost, better camera, water resistance and improved battery. I'd imagine your day to day experience would be almost identical.

Although I am looking forward to Portrait Mode. I've seen some really cool shots taken with that on the Beta. If you do a lot of photography then maybe it's worth it.

shadowboxer8

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I love the 7 Plus because I am coming from the 4.7 Inch iphone 6 and for two years now I have secretly envied folks for the larger screens. But I have mentioned to most people here when the phone was announced that if you have a 6s or 6s Plus there really isn't a real reason for you to rush out and buy a iphone 7.

Last edited:

Balbuco

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
I am still on a 6Plus. Works great, but since I skipped the 6s, I think I will notice more of a difference than you 6s owners. Hope so, anyway!

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
Im coming from android (long time android user) and the phone is nice and everything works fine. I was intrigued by the optical zoom. Now that I have it I have to say the S7 line and Note 7 camera is much better. Better colors, more contrast, sharper and they focus much quicker. Unless apple does something drastic next year I will be going back to android. Not knocking the phone at all I am just under whelmed. The display is nothing compared to the high resolution OLED display's samsung uses.

Sooks

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Im coming from android (long time android user) and the phone is nice and everything works fine. I was intrigued by the optical zoom. Now that I have it I have to say the S7 line and Note 7 camera is much better. Better colors, more contrast, sharper and they focus much quicker. Unless apple does something drastic next year I will be going back to android. Not knocking the phone at all I am just under whelmed. The display is nothing compared to the high resolution OLED display's samsung uses.

I have had nearly every major phone in the last ohhh idk 6/7 years (Android and iPhone) and agree this years iPhone is just an okay upgrade, nothing blows my socks off. iOS is an over all "smoother" experience and dumbed down compared to android. But as you have said the screen on the S7/Note are above and beyond anything the iphone has produced in years (mainly due to AMOLED) and the cameras are second to none. I hope next year Apple finally goes OLED gets rid of the gimmicky (IMO) dual camera and gives us a single large sensor. That would be something worth upgrading to.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The iPhone 7 offers more than what the pre release rumors were saying. So, you should have known what you were getting. There was plenty of discussion on the rumors. We knew it wasn't to be loaded with new hardware. The biggie this year was iOS 10.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I have the 7 plus and the galaxy s7 edge and the plus is a smoother device than the galaxy overall. The jump from the 6s to the 7 plus made a big difference much faster with an awesome camera.

rudyalexc

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I jumped from a 6s to a 7 plus, so the benefits are a bit greater to me due to increased battery life, etc. I will most likely not buy a new iPhone for at least the next 1-2 years, though, and as such I got the 256gb

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods