Do you recommend using a magnetic phone holder?

malt1977

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I've been thinking about changing the setup I have in my car for when I get the 7+ and have a question for you all...

Currently I use the style of holder that grips the edges of the phone, but I'm looking at the magnetic types now and wondered what your take on them is:

1) Is it safe, does the magnet not damage the battery?
2) Will it really hold the phone secure enough?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

anon(10000748)

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Phone holder

Okay so I have one of these. (For my 6splus)

First off they work great... but... (there's always a butt).

The metal tab can scratch the back of your phone. I had a fairly tight case and it slid all over the back.

They come with a double sided adhesive which sticks to your phone and the metal plate which works very well to keep the plate secure...but...
It is a huge pain to get the adhesive off of your phone.

Function: Fantastic. I absolutely loved the magnet vs retention

Looks/aesthetics's: kind of sucks.
200cd951d555f6ea3941202b9bec40a3.jpg

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Phone holder

Magnetic holders won't damage your iPhone. I haven't used any myself but there are a few people around here that use them regularly and like them a lot. They don't work for me though because I don't typically use a case and I really, really don't want a magnetic bracket double-sided taped to my phone and bulging out of the back of it.

malt1977

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys, hats been helpful. As I use a case generally I'll look for one that has a slim fitting to go on the phone.

I'll report back once sorted.

malt1977

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so I've just ordered a cheap one off eBay to see how it goes.

Are there any brands in particular you'd all recommend?

anon(10000748)

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Ok, so I've just ordered a cheap one off eBay to see how it goes.

Are there any brands in particular you'd all recommend?

Mine is a bracketron. If you had a case with some sort of magnetic metal in the back like steel it would stick. My old note 7 stuck to it without the metal plate and I even had a case on it.
6462852985a77b314ce7f1164200d506.jpg

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
There is a great case, called the Dreem Fibonacci that I've been using on my 6S Plus for several months now. The entire back of the case is magnetic and it works unbelievably well with the magnetic mounts. Its also the classiest and nicest case I've ever owned. They are making on for the 7 and 7Plus that should be out in October. If you are using a magnetic mount, I highly recommend it as it eliminates the need to use a magnet in the case or sticking one to the phone. Here is a picture of the case below. It also comes with a folio wallet that works really well too if you choose to use it. There are a variety of colors, of which I prefer the black on black. Below is the dark brown one they offer. They are really great and their customer support is excellent.

DREEMWalletCase-10-e1467766933184-934x675.jpg

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I used one and it worked great. Held my phone nice and secure even during bumpy rides. Caused no issues with the device. I know have android auto/car play in my car so I don't need it anymore but it worked well for me. Think I paid like $7 for the mount and 4 metal tabs.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
There is a great case, called the Dreem Fibonacci that I've been using on my 6S Plus for several months now. The entire back of the case is magnetic and it works unbelievably well with the magnetic mounts. Its also the classiest and nicest case I've ever owned. They are making on for the 7 and 7Plus that should be out in October. If you are using a magnetic mount, I highly recommend it as it eliminates the need to use a magnet in the case or sticking one to the phone. Here is a picture of the case below. It also comes with a folio wallet that works really well too if you choose to use it. There are a variety of colors, of which I prefer the black on black. Below is the dark brown one they offer. They are really great and their customer support is excellent.

View attachment 111948

Now THAT is a nice case!

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I have used them in the past, but I did not like the metal plate stuck to the back of my phone. It might not be so bad now that I have a black iP7+ since the plate and back of the phone are both the same color.

Regardless there was never an issue and it worked great on the Spigen vent mount I used.

malt1977

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Well, thanks to the advice I've received here, I've ordered the Spigen mount with the 6 magnets in it. I'll need to modify it so that I can attach it to me Brodit mount which is on the "A" pilar, but this won't be a problem as I've got a good idea of how to achieve it.

Cheers all for the helpful comments.

MisterLuigi

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
Works great, well-made, inexpensive.

Hi all,

I've been thinking about changing the setup I have in my car for when I get the 7+ and have a question for you all...

Currently I use the style of holder that grips the edges of the phone, but I'm looking at the magnetic types now and wondered what your take on them is:

1) Is it safe, does the magnet not damage the battery?
2) Will it really hold the phone secure enough?

Thanks in advance.

I know this discussion had been inactive for over a year. But the OP question remains pertinent. I recently purchased the Scosche MAGDMB on Amazon for $12.99. Works great. Minimalistic design. Holds my iPhone 6s+ rock-solid. It does not compromise the GPS radio on the smartphone and the metal plate that attaches to the phone or your protective case is VERY thin. BTW, the metal plate that goes on the phone is not a magnet. It's just a thin metal plate that will be attracted to the magnet in the car mount.

mnocito79

Jan 21, 2020
Visit site
Re: Works great, well-made, inexpensive.

I loved the magnetic holders but they DID scratch my phone. I like the kind that grab your phone better like the one I got from Amazon.[URL="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VN2WJBD/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B07VN2WJBD&linkCode=as2&linkId=60cfaf2b35bd8249d70f1462320a030c%22&tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU3188783] https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU3188783 [/URL]
That one seems to not only hold my phone but keep it from jiggling around while I drive (and I don't drive that crazy, It just seems most of these mounts leave some jiggle space).

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77