"Hear" is my buzzing sound

mfldmike

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Not trying to minimize your issue. More trying to understand the severity of it.

No, I get it...

It's part of the reason why I recorded it the way I did. As far as the Note 7 recall, I don't know if there was an auditory warning before it went up in smoke. It is a concerning issue though...I've scoured these forums and although a lot of devices make some noise to a varying degree, the user has to literally have their phone pressed against their ear to hear it.

Just for the record, I also have an iPhone 7 Black 128GB with AT&T that does make "some" noise...BUT...you have to smash that thing in your skull to hear it. Also, the sound coming from that device is "different," it sounds more like processor chatter "coil whine," than the incessant beehive I have in mine.

mfldmike

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE:

After speaking with a senior advisor from Apple who, was in turn collaborating with an engineering team, I was requested that my device be sent in for, "further analysis."

I have yet to be called, I just received an email from the senior advisor to set up a replacement. So, I guess I'll wait for the call and see what happens.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Well, I'm the odd guy out. I can't hear it.

I tired with earphones with the OP's video and this one:

Nothing. There are three possibilities:

1) It's too low for me to separate it from ambient noise.
2) It's too high a frequency for me to hear
3) I'm hearing it but don't realize it's the problem.

In the first video I hear what I think is the one phone (recording the noise) bumping against the suspect phone.

In the second video, there's no control scenario- the mic isolated from room sound with no ambient sound and no phone. Then maybe I could tell what I'm supposed to be hearing. "Lou" describes the sound as "kind of a clunk cluck" and then makes a noise like white noise.

In both videos and with Lou's three phones I hear what I ascribe as the ambient sound of a "live" room. I'm fairly confident that if I get a 7 (or 7s) I won't be hearing what everybody else is. LOL! It's be like the old man with hearing aids turn up high and he can't hear the feedback!

Sorry for the OP's misfortune, but I think Apple will make it right in the end. Or.. "You're just listening wrong"?

evangel77

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
UPDATE:

After speaking with a senior advisor from Apple who, was in turn collaborating with an engineering team, I was requested that my device be sent in for, "further analysis."

I have yet to be called, I just received an email from the senior advisor to set up a replacement. So, I guess I'll wait for the call and see what happens.

Eager to see what they gonna do to resolve your problem :)

anon(10000748)

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Were the Note 7 explosions preceded by a barely audible buzz? I'm still yet to hear someone say they heard the sound while their phone was just sitting. Every thing I've read had people pressing their ears against the camera area to hear this sound.

I don't have to press it against my ear just hold it by my ear. It's actually pretty noticeable once you hear it. I'm certain I eventually would have been in a quiet house looking for what the heck was making that noise. It would have drove me nuts until I found it.

mitc5502

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I pressed the back of my phone against my ear and scrolled through my iTunes list. I could definitely hear a buzz, but as soon as my ear was no longer physically pressed against the phone, I couldn't hear anything.

mfldmike

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
"Hear" is my buzzing sound

Still hasn't been resolved...

The Senior Advisor I'm speaking with doesn't seem to be familiar with Apple's options.

Don't tell a person something you cannot deliver on, for instance, overnight air. Then, to not just take initiative and keep playing phone tag.

Another day has come and gone, and I just want to get rid of this already. It sounds like cicadas, for crying out loud.

I work 12-14 hr days and it's hard as hell trying to work something out when they have to verify everything by email.

Frustrating...

Last edited:

Tarah Sorber

Trusted Member
Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Oh wow. As I was listening to this I didn't think I was able to hear it, but once the video ended my ears registered the loss of the background static.

you are correct.. i listened to it and didnt think i heard anything until it stopped playing... Listened to my 7 plus and just realized it does it too! i never noticed before.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I agree there is a sound in your video, OP. However where it gets worse is when you put the mic up against the phone which is the equivalent to putting it up to your ear, in a sense. You conditioned yourself to listen for it all the time now, and it's going to bother you. I say just return the phone and get another one whether you're able to exchange it or wait it out for another 7 Plus in that color.

PDXMatt

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
I have hyper-sensitive hearing which basically means I can hear a mouse fart in Florida (I'm in Oregon) and I can't hear it. I started recording a 4k video and I still don't hear it.

rednocturne307

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Is there any indication of how widespread this issue is? Is anyone able to confirm that their Plus is definitively not making any buzzing sounds? Anyone out there whose phone is making the sounds and has the 256 gb version? One theory flying around is that the 128 gb model is the only model doing it.

decypher44

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Really hoping this is just a "small" batch of phones. Mine isn't scheduled to be delivered for another month. Hoping they resolve the issue before then! I have really sensitive hearing. I can't even own mechanical watches. The ticking drives me insane.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
So far so good. I got it today, I've been on it all day setting it up, playing around, multi tasking and it's quiet as a mouse.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner