So I read somewhere on here that the dual camera system on the 7 Plus isn't working as advertised, so I decided to try it out myself.

Try covering up one of the lenses and switching 1x-2x

This camera is not switching...

If I leave my finger covered on the normal lens and switch to 2x (should switch cameras) and I should be able to see something...I don't, I don't see anything even though the 2nd camera is uncovered.

What gives???

Can anyone else confirm?
    09-19-2016 08:44 AM
    #cameragate!!!!!!
    09-19-2016 08:48 AM
    #gatephone seriously though, it seems to be intermittent; at least for me anyway...sometimes it will work, other times nothing and I've tried covering up either or and testing it.
    09-19-2016 08:51 AM
    How do u know it's just not using both?
    09-19-2016 08:57 AM
    It it was using both cameras I would still be able to see something if I covered up one
    09-19-2016 09:06 AM
    What if it's detecting one of the lenses has a big fat ugly finger obstructing its view and decides something isn't right?
    tlo07 likes this.
    09-19-2016 09:12 AM
    Well a "big fat ugly finger," "a big fat ugly piece of paper," "a big fat ugly unicorn" for all I give...all I know, and observed, is that it's not working.
    09-19-2016 09:15 AM
    In macrumors, someone suggested that the dual-camera does not activate in "poorly-lit" or "indoor" lighting, after trying out both that seems to be the case. I can cover a lens outside and it does work but the image is blown out...so it does stand to reason that it doesn't work in these situations.

With that being said, a lot of people are going to notice "noise" issues in their photos IF they use 2x in poorly-lit areas; the phone isn't using the dual-camera but, its using software zoom to capture the photo
    09-19-2016 09:26 AM
    Not anything to do with this is it? Why the iPhone 7 Plus telephoto won't shoot in low-light situations | iMore

My theory would be by covering the wide angle (1x) lens, the camera has decided that it's way too dark to even bother to try with the less-light sensitive tele lens (2x); therefore it's just showing the covered up wide angle.

There are easier ways to tell if the tele lens is actually working, as shown in the article:
    - take a photo in sunlight or bright lighting conditions with the 2x setting, use an app called Metapho to check the metadata of the photo. If the lens is 6.6mm f/2.8, then it's using the tele lens.
    - Use a third party app that has been updated to manually select which lens you wish to shoot with, such as ProCamera
    mfldmike and Snappy Phoenix like this.
    09-19-2016 09:36 AM
    Not anything to do with this is it? Why the iPhone 7 Plus telephoto won't shoot in low-light situations | iMore

My theory would be by covering the wide angle (1x) lens, the camera has decided that it's way too dark to even bother to try with the less-light sensitive tele lens (2x); therefore it's just showing the covered up wide angle.

There are easier ways to tell if the tele lens is actually working, as shown in the article:
    - take a photo in sunlight or bright lighting conditions with the 2x setting, use an app called Metapho to check the metadata of the photo. If the lens is 6.6mm f/2.8, then it's using the tele lens.
    - Use a third party app that has been updated to manually select which lens you wish to shoot with, such as ProCamera
    I think that's exactly it...
    09-19-2016 09:49 AM
    So I read somewhere on here that the dual camera system on the 7 Plus isn't working as advertised, so I decided to try it out myself.

Try covering up one of the lenses and switching 1x-2x

This camera is not switching...

If I leave my finger covered on the normal lens and switch to 2x (should switch cameras) and I should be able to see something...I don't, I don't see anything even though the 2nd camera is uncovered.

What gives???

Can anyone else confirm?
    I thought that the 2x zoom was only possible by the "telephoto" lens so I'm guessing if you cover the lense thats telephoto that 2x won't show anything.
    09-19-2016 10:20 AM
    I thought that the 2x zoom was only possible by the "telephoto" lens so I'm guessing if you cover the lense thats telephoto that 2x won't show anything.
    The 2x is possible with digital zoom from the f1.8 camera if the phone doesn't recognize there is enough light to use the optical 2x zoom of the f2.8 camera
    Last edited by mfldmike; 09-19-2016 at 11:06 AM.
    09-19-2016 10:44 AM
    It does work and the images show 6.6MM. Here are 3 images of my dog. Two at 6.6mm and one at 4MM. Two were taken with Camera+ and one with the stock camera app. Camera+ is superior in sharpness and detail, the stock app renders detail with watercolor effects alot, I also think using the zoom adds more of a chance for image degradation, but I have to test that further. These photos are edited as I edit all my photos so I was testing for that aspect of them. Image quality may be better if you click and view on flickr. Some softness could be to movement by Buster as well, but these look pretty good.

stock camera 6.6mm

Buster 1 stock cam 6.6mm by Lisa, on Flickr

Camera + 4mm
    Buster 2 Camera+ 4mm by Lisa, on Flickr

Camera+ 6.6mm
    Buster 3 camera + 6.6mm by Lisa, on Flickr
    09-19-2016 02:28 PM
    Mine doesn't swap back and forth and i don't get the 6.6mm icon
    09-19-2016 07:27 PM
    heres a read: 2x zoom on the iPhone 7 Plus does not always mean you're using the new telephoto lens
    lisainsf likes this.
    09-20-2016 08:57 AM
    How do you change the lens being used in camera+
    09-20-2016 03:58 PM
    When you go into the standard camera app you will see a small circle at the bottom saying 1X or 2X and you switch between 1X standard 28mm or 2X zoom 56mm. After that you can zoom more, but it will be using digital zoom
    09-20-2016 05:05 PM
    I thought the two cameras were supposed to work together? I wouldn't expect to have them work independently from each other.
    But then, my "knowledge" of that type of thing being what it is, I have no clue.
    I guess I'll find out when (if) I finally receive my freaking phone, already.
    09-20-2016 05:23 PM
    It does work and the images show 6.6MM. Here are 3 images of my dog. Two at 6.6mm and one at 4MM. Two were taken with Camera+ and one with the stock camera app. Camera+ is superior in sharpness and detail, the stock app renders detail with watercolor effects alot, I also think using the zoom adds more of a chance for image degradation, but I have to test that further. These photos are edited as I edit all my photos so I was testing for that aspect of them. Image quality may be better if you click and view on flickr. Some softness could be to movement by Buster as well, but these look pretty good.

stock camera 6.6mm

https://c5.staticflickr.com/9/8324/2...cafda4e2_o.jpgBuster 1 stock cam 6.6mm by Lisa, on Flickr

Camera + 4mm
    https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8542/2...ee4b987d_o.jpgBuster 2 Camera+ 4mm by Lisa, on Flickr

Camera+ 6.6mm
    https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8664/2...d4205334_o.jpgBuster 3 camera + 6.6mm by Lisa, on Flickr
    Kind of off topic, but precious dog!
    lisainsf likes this.
    09-21-2016 09:25 AM

stock camera 6.6mm

https://c5.staticflickr.com/9/8324/2...cafda4e2_o.jpgBuster 1 stock cam 6.6mm by Lisa, on Flickr

Camera + 4mm
    https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8542/2...ee4b987d_o.jpgBuster 2 Camera+ 4mm by Lisa, on Flickr

Camera+ 6.6mm
    https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8664/2...d4205334_o.jpgBuster 3 camera + 6.6mm by Lisa, on Flickr
    You're outdoors though, it works with outdoor lighting.
    09-21-2016 11:54 AM
    This was my question too. I tried Camera+ (haven't used it in years, but wanted to try again now that RAW is available) last night and couldn't figure out how to switch. Given that I also could only find a TIFF recording option (not a RAW option), I once again deleted Camera+ and downloaded Lightroom for those times I want to shoot RAW.

When you go into the standard camera app you will see a small circle at the bottom saying 1X or 2X and you switch between 1X standard 28mm or 2X zoom 56mm. After that you can zoom more, but it will be using digital zoom
    Are you saying that the way you get Camera+ to zoom is to first switch the zoom in the stock camera app? If that's the case, then I feel good about deleting Camera+...
    09-21-2016 12:18 PM
    Kind of off topic, but precious dog!
    thank you
    09-21-2016 12:33 PM
    This was my question too. I tried Camera+ (haven't used it in years, but wanted to try again now that RAW is available) last night and couldn't figure out how to switch. Given that I also could only find a TIFF recording option (not a RAW option), I once again deleted Camera+ and downloaded Lightroom for those times I want to shoot RAW.

no I just used the zoom function in camera+ and stopped at 2x zoom, I am assuming it is using the secondary lens at that point I will have t try lightroom

Are you saying that the way you get Camera+ to zoom is to first switch the zoom in the stock camera app? If that's the case, then I feel good about deleting Camera+...

no I just zoomed to 2x zoom in camera +, I will try lightroom though as well as I want to try raw shooting
    09-21-2016 12:36 PM