iPhone 7 Hissing/Noise Under Load

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I hear a slight hiss if my 7 Plus is under load and I put it up to my ear. I honestly didn't notice anything until reading your post so I'm not worried that it's going to bother me going forward.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
If I hear anything like what the first video sounds like in the 9to5mac video I'll be looking for a replacement. That sounded pretty bad.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
If I hear anything like what the first video sounds like in the 9to5mac video I'll be looking for a replacement. That sounded pretty bad.

Mine isn't NEARLY as bad as the 9to5 video. Again, I have to literally press my ear up against my phone to hear even the slightest hiss. I'm sure Apple will happily replace any iPhone that sounds that bad.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Mine isn't NEARLY as bad as the 9to5 video. Again, I have to literally press my ear up against my phone to hear even the slightest hiss. I'm sure Apple will happily replace any iPhone that sounds that bad.

I'm sure they will. It sounds like they're already offering that. I would just prefer to not have to deal with it. And have to wait for a replacement or have to drive 120 miles to my nearest Apple Store.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure they will. It sounds like they're already offering that. I would just prefer to not have to deal with it. And have to wait for a replacement or have to drive 120 miles to my nearest Apple Store.

Understandable. Put it in perspective though. This is a very active forum, and many people here have the new iPhones. If the hissing were that prevalent an issue we'd be hearing about it all over the place. I read just about everything that comes through this forum and it isn't being talked about.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Understandable. Put it in perspective though. This is a very active forum, and many people here have the new iPhones. If the hissing were that prevalent an issue we'd be hearing about it all over the place. I read just about everything that comes through this forum and it isn't being talked about.

Oh I know. I'd just hate for my $1100 phone to have that issue. It is being talked about here, Macrumors and other places. So it isn't just a couple isolated incidents. Enough that it seems to be worth at least looking out for.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Oh I know. I'd just hate for my $1100 phone to have that issue. It is being talked about here, Macrumors and other places. So it isn't just a couple isolated incidents. Enough that it seems to be worth at least looking out for.

I should have worded my response differently. It's being talked about, but not by everyone who has gotten a new iPhone. So it's somewhat isolated.

I'm trying to put your mind at ease here and you're making it difficult!

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I should have worded my response differently. It's being talked about, but not by everyone who has gotten a new iPhone. So it's somewhat isolated.

I'm trying to put your mind at ease here and you're making it difficult!

Haha. Just call me Henny Penny! I won't get mine for a few weeks anyway, so maybe it was just one batch and it won't be mine!

radeon962

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site

Check out #HISSGATE as its showing up on Twitter

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
LOL ok so the hiss is from choke or coil whine. I've have A LOT of electrics do it and never has any issues. It's completely normal. I had a nvidia gtx 285 that was insanely loud. It went away after hard use. If u wanna test out your device. Load up a game and leave it running and see what happens after that.

On a side note the video card I had I could reduce the whine my limiting the refresh rate to the sam as the monitor which was 60. About a month or so of use it went away. I doubt it would take the phone that long. I still have that car in use today and it's 7 years old. 5 of those years was 24/7 use.

radeon962

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
LOL ok so the hiss is from choke or coil whine. I've have A LOT of electrics do it and never has any issues. It's completely normal. I had a nvidia gtx 285 that was insanely loud. It went away after hard use. If u wanna test out your device. Load up a game and leave it running and see what happens after that.

On a side note the video card I had I could reduce the whine my limiting the refresh rate to the sam as the monitor which was 60. About a month or so of use it went away. I doubt it would take the phone that long. I still have that car in use today and it's 7 years old. 5 of those years was 24/7 use.

Are you seriously comparing a video card to a phone? I have been a Silent PC builder for years and the video card fan and mechanical hard drives are two of the worst offenders for PC noise. Small fans running at high speed are hard to dampen the sound. SSD's took care of the mechanical HD.

There is no fan in the phone so I would not expect noise especially for a device that is made to go by your ear or in close proximity to your face.

A computer is typically a few feet away if on top of your desk or in a lot of cars under the desk. Foam, insulation, high end case and high end fans or liquid cooling can be used to make a Silent PC, even a high end gaming rig, but none of that would work with the iPhone.

I don't have my 7 Plus yet but with the noise issue, apparently no Sapphire glass on the camera lens or home button has me rethinking about just staying with my 6s Plus until the 10th anniversary iPhone next year when they hopefully make substantial physical design changes to reduce the in hand size and improve the screen resolution.

All jokes aside with the Note 7 and Android, it is physically a beautiful phone to hold and the camera and screen are excellent. A Note 7 running iOS would be a perfect phone.

I was a long time Android slappy until Apple came out with the larger 6 Plus and I found how easy and great iOS is for me and how I use my phone. The 6s Plus was a nice upgrade as would be the 7 Plus but just a touch disappointed with the early reviews on the hardware side.

My only issue with the 6s Plus is it is physically much larger than it needs to be. Screen is very good until you put it side by side with a Samsung screen.

iOS 10 is a great software upgrade and really runs excellent on the 6s Plus and makes it feel fresh again.

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Are you seriously comparing a video card to a phone? I have been a Silent PC builder for years and the video card fan and mechanical hard drives are two of the worst offenders for PC noise. Small fans running at high speed are hard to dampen the sound. SSD's took care of the mechanical HD.

There is no fan in the phone so I would not expect noise especially for a device that is made to go by your ear or in close proximity to your face.

A computer is typically a few feet away if on top of your desk or in a lot of cars under the desk. Foam, insulation, high end case and high end fans or liquid cooling can be used to make a Silent PC, even a high end gaming rig, but none of that would work with the iPhone.

I don't have my 7 Plus yet but with the noise issue, apparently no Sapphire glass on the camera lens or home button has me rethinking about just staying with my 6s Plus until the 10th anniversary iPhone next year when they hopefully make substantial physical design changes to reduce the in hand size and improve the screen resolution.

All jokes aside with the Note 7 and Android, it is physically a beautiful phone to hold and the camera and screen are excellent. A Note 7 running iOS would be a perfect phone.

I was a long time Android slappy until Apple came out with the larger 6 Plus and I found how easy and great iOS is for me and how I use my phone. The 6s Plus was a nice upgrade as would be the 7 Plus but just a touch disappointed with the early reviews on the hardware side.

My only issue with the 6s Plus is it is physically much larger than it needs to be. Screen is very good until you put it side by side with a Samsung screen.

iOS 10 is a great software upgrade and really runs excellent on the 6s Plus and makes it feel fresh again.

I know there's no fan in the phone. That's exactly why I said it's coil or choke whine....

John Martinec

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
This is an issue. Sure, you cant hear it on calls or with the phone just sitting there. I can hear it when I place my ear to the back top of the phone. Even that wouldn't be an issue. The real issue is the sound is being picked up in my video recordings from the phone. If you place your ear up to the back of your phone and hear the electric static buzz like I do, make a recording in a quiet room and play it back. I guarantee you will hear that same sound captured in the recording. That part is unacceptable and you can't tell me someone didn't notice this in previous models with a billion phones sold. This appears to be a new and real issue.

Michial Brown

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Not every phone has this issue. Apple is offering to replace if you bring it in to the Apple Store. I hear they do have reserves so you don't have to wait for a replacement. It's a bummer for sure. At least it isn't exploding on fire.