Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 21 of 21
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By kch50428
  • 1 Post By Rob Phillips
  • 1 Post By Rob Phillips
  • 1 Post By Rob Phillips
  • 1 Post By Wildo6882
  • 1 Post By John Martinec
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    radeon962's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

    Default iPhone 7 Hissing/Noise Under Load

    Anyone getting noise from their iPhone 7Plus under load?

    Not what I want to hear from my $1k investment. I've not noticed this on my 6s Plus so I wonder if it's due to the new chip in the 7.

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/9to5mac...?client=safari
  2. #2  
  3. #3  
    Tarah Sorber's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    103 Posts
    Global Posts
    583 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 7 Hissing/Noise Under Load

    I don't hear anything. ....

    *~Live life,love life~*
  4. #4  

    Default Re: iPhone 7 Hissing/Noise Under Load

    I hear a slight hiss if my 7 Plus is under load and I put it up to my ear. I honestly didn't notice anything until reading your post so I'm not worried that it's going to bother me going forward.
  5. #5  
    Wildo6882's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,040 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,814 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 7 Hissing/Noise Under Load

    If I hear anything like what the first video sounds like in the 9to5mac video I'll be looking for a replacement. That sounded pretty bad.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: iPhone 7 Hissing/Noise Under Load

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildo6882 View Post
    If I hear anything like what the first video sounds like in the 9to5mac video I'll be looking for a replacement. That sounded pretty bad.
    Mine isn't NEARLY as bad as the 9to5 video. Again, I have to literally press my ear up against my phone to hear even the slightest hiss. I'm sure Apple will happily replace any iPhone that sounds that bad.
    Wildo6882 likes this.
  7. #7  
    Wildo6882's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,040 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,814 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 7 Hissing/Noise Under Load

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Phillips View Post
    Mine isn't NEARLY as bad as the 9to5 video. Again, I have to literally press my ear up against my phone to hear even the slightest hiss. I'm sure Apple will happily replace any iPhone that sounds that bad.
    I'm sure they will. It sounds like they're already offering that. I would just prefer to not have to deal with it. And have to wait for a replacement or have to drive 120 miles to my nearest Apple Store.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: iPhone 7 Hissing/Noise Under Load

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildo6882 View Post
    I'm sure they will. It sounds like they're already offering that. I would just prefer to not have to deal with it. And have to wait for a replacement or have to drive 120 miles to my nearest Apple Store.
    Understandable. Put it in perspective though. This is a very active forum, and many people here have the new iPhones. If the hissing were that prevalent an issue we'd be hearing about it all over the place. I read just about everything that comes through this forum and it isn't being talked about.
    PDXMatt likes this.
  9. #9  
    Wildo6882's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,040 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,814 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 7 Hissing/Noise Under Load

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Phillips View Post
    Understandable. Put it in perspective though. This is a very active forum, and many people here have the new iPhones. If the hissing were that prevalent an issue we'd be hearing about it all over the place. I read just about everything that comes through this forum and it isn't being talked about.
    Oh I know. I'd just hate for my $1100 phone to have that issue. It is being talked about here, Macrumors and other places. So it isn't just a couple isolated incidents. Enough that it seems to be worth at least looking out for.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: iPhone 7 Hissing/Noise Under Load

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildo6882 View Post
    Oh I know. I'd just hate for my $1100 phone to have that issue. It is being talked about here, Macrumors and other places. So it isn't just a couple isolated incidents. Enough that it seems to be worth at least looking out for.
    I should have worded my response differently. It's being talked about, but not by everyone who has gotten a new iPhone. So it's somewhat isolated.

    I'm trying to put your mind at ease here and you're making it difficult!
    Wildo6882 likes this.
  11. #11  
    Wildo6882's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,040 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,814 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 7 Hissing/Noise Under Load

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Phillips View Post
    I should have worded my response differently. It's being talked about, but not by everyone who has gotten a new iPhone. So it's somewhat isolated.

    I'm trying to put your mind at ease here and you're making it difficult!
    Haha. Just call me Henny Penny! I won't get mine for a few weeks anyway, so maybe it was just one batch and it won't be mine!
    Rob Phillips likes this.
  12. #12  
    dwd3885's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    767 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 7 Hissing/Noise Under Load

    Normally I wouldn't care, except I can hear it in video recordings in a quiet environment
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    radeon962's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 7 Hissing/Noise Under Load

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Phillips View Post
    Understandable. Put it in perspective though. This is a very active forum, and many people here have the new iPhones. If the hissing were that prevalent an issue we'd be hearing about it all over the place. I read just about everything that comes through this forum and it isn't being talked about.
    Check out #HISSGATE as its showing up on Twitter
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    radeon962's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 7 Hissing/Noise Under Load

  15. #15  
    jsntrenkler's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,658 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,983 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 7 Hissing/Noise Under Load

    I can't hear any hissing on mine
  16. #16  
    tekjunkie28's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    281 Posts
    Global Posts
    349 Global Posts

    Default iPhone 7 Hissing/Noise Under Load

    LOL ok so the hiss is from choke or coil whine. I've have A LOT of electrics do it and never has any issues. It's completely normal. I had a nvidia gtx 285 that was insanely loud. It went away after hard use. If u wanna test out your device. Load up a game and leave it running and see what happens after that.

    On a side note the video card I had I could reduce the whine my limiting the refresh rate to the sam as the monitor which was 60. About a month or so of use it went away. I doubt it would take the phone that long. I still have that car in use today and it's 7 years old. 5 of those years was 24/7 use.
  17. Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  
    radeon962's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 7 Hissing/Noise Under Load

    Quote Originally Posted by tekjunkie28 View Post
    LOL ok so the hiss is from choke or coil whine. I've have A LOT of electrics do it and never has any issues. It's completely normal. I had a nvidia gtx 285 that was insanely loud. It went away after hard use. If u wanna test out your device. Load up a game and leave it running and see what happens after that.

    On a side note the video card I had I could reduce the whine my limiting the refresh rate to the sam as the monitor which was 60. About a month or so of use it went away. I doubt it would take the phone that long. I still have that car in use today and it's 7 years old. 5 of those years was 24/7 use.
    Are you seriously comparing a video card to a phone? I have been a Silent PC builder for years and the video card fan and mechanical hard drives are two of the worst offenders for PC noise. Small fans running at high speed are hard to dampen the sound. SSD's took care of the mechanical HD.

    There is no fan in the phone so I would not expect noise especially for a device that is made to go by your ear or in close proximity to your face.

    A computer is typically a few feet away if on top of your desk or in a lot of cars under the desk. Foam, insulation, high end case and high end fans or liquid cooling can be used to make a Silent PC, even a high end gaming rig, but none of that would work with the iPhone.

    I don't have my 7 Plus yet but with the noise issue, apparently no Sapphire glass on the camera lens or home button has me rethinking about just staying with my 6s Plus until the 10th anniversary iPhone next year when they hopefully make substantial physical design changes to reduce the in hand size and improve the screen resolution.

    All jokes aside with the Note 7 and Android, it is physically a beautiful phone to hold and the camera and screen are excellent. A Note 7 running iOS would be a perfect phone.

    I was a long time Android slappy until Apple came out with the larger 6 Plus and I found how easy and great iOS is for me and how I use my phone. The 6s Plus was a nice upgrade as would be the 7 Plus but just a touch disappointed with the early reviews on the hardware side.

    My only issue with the 6s Plus is it is physically much larger than it needs to be. Screen is very good until you put it side by side with a Samsung screen.

    iOS 10 is a great software upgrade and really runs excellent on the 6s Plus and makes it feel fresh again.
  18. #18  
    tekjunkie28's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    281 Posts
    Global Posts
    349 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 7 Hissing/Noise Under Load

    Quote Originally Posted by radeon962 View Post
    Are you seriously comparing a video card to a phone? I have been a Silent PC builder for years and the video card fan and mechanical hard drives are two of the worst offenders for PC noise. Small fans running at high speed are hard to dampen the sound. SSD's took care of the mechanical HD.

    There is no fan in the phone so I would not expect noise especially for a device that is made to go by your ear or in close proximity to your face.

    A computer is typically a few feet away if on top of your desk or in a lot of cars under the desk. Foam, insulation, high end case and high end fans or liquid cooling can be used to make a Silent PC, even a high end gaming rig, but none of that would work with the iPhone.

    I don't have my 7 Plus yet but with the noise issue, apparently no Sapphire glass on the camera lens or home button has me rethinking about just staying with my 6s Plus until the 10th anniversary iPhone next year when they hopefully make substantial physical design changes to reduce the in hand size and improve the screen resolution.

    All jokes aside with the Note 7 and Android, it is physically a beautiful phone to hold and the camera and screen are excellent. A Note 7 running iOS would be a perfect phone.

    I was a long time Android slappy until Apple came out with the larger 6 Plus and I found how easy and great iOS is for me and how I use my phone. The 6s Plus was a nice upgrade as would be the 7 Plus but just a touch disappointed with the early reviews on the hardware side.

    My only issue with the 6s Plus is it is physically much larger than it needs to be. Screen is very good until you put it side by side with a Samsung screen.

    iOS 10 is a great software upgrade and really runs excellent on the 6s Plus and makes it feel fresh again.
    I know there's no fan in the phone. That's exactly why I said it's coil or choke whine....
  19. #19  
    John Martinec's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    14 Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 7 Hissing/Noise Under Load

    This is an issue. Sure, you cant hear it on calls or with the phone just sitting there. I can hear it when I place my ear to the back top of the phone. Even that wouldn't be an issue. The real issue is the sound is being picked up in my video recordings from the phone. If you place your ear up to the back of your phone and hear the electric static buzz like I do, make a recording in a quiet room and play it back. I guarantee you will hear that same sound captured in the recording. That part is unacceptable and you can't tell me someone didn't notice this in previous models with a billion phones sold. This appears to be a new and real issue.
    Wildo6882 likes this.
  20. #20  
    Michial Brown's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    102 Posts
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 7 Hissing/Noise Under Load

    Not every phone has this issue. Apple is offering to replace if you bring it in to the Apple Store. I hear they do have reserves so you don't have to wait for a replacement. It's a bummer for sure. At least it isn't exploding on fire.
  21. #21  
    Michial Brown's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    102 Posts
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone 7 Hissing/Noise Under Load

    Me neither.

Similar Threads

  1. iPhone newbie here.
    By PDXMatt in forum iPhone 7 Plus
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 09-28-2016, 08:40 AM
  2. Can't Restore My Backup from my 6s to my iPhone 7
    By rsgoldens in forum iPhone 7
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-23-2016, 03:06 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-17-2016, 09:47 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-17-2016, 05:40 PM
  5. How to change the format in iBooks on iPhone and iPad
    By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-17-2016, 04:12 PM

Posting Permissions