What's your opinion on the home button? What setting are you using?

mitc5502

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I like it, using setting 3. I decided that I didn't like the rest-finger-to-unlock feature combined with raise to wake. So I'm doing press-home-to-open on, with raise to wake on. Maybe I'll change it back...we'll see.

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if it is my imagination or not but I feel that the click is stronger on the 7 plus vs 7. So I'm using the first setting in my plus.

bdtrader

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Does the 1, 2, or 3 represent how hard you have to press the home button or does is represent how strong the feedback is? Or both?

In other words, is the pressure needed to activate the button the same and you choose different levels of feedback?

rudyalexc

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I use setting 2, albeit setting 3 is more of a "button-like" feel. I am slowly getting used to it. It's a welcome feature, but I am not ready to say it is 100% better than the actual physical button.

PDXMatt

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
Since this is my first iPhone I don't really have an opinion on it. It just feels like the entire lower part of the phone is clicking.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Setting 2 and its takes a little bit to get used to it, but after a few hours I feel natural not pressing an actual button.

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Does the 1, 2, or 3 represent how hard you have to press the home button or does is represent how strong the feedback is? Or both?

In other words, is the pressure needed to activate the button the same and you choose different levels of feedback?

No, the 1, 2 or 3 is how much haptic feedback you get from the Taptic Engine.

MiXoLoGiSt

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I have to say, this is something I thought for sure I was going to hate. It actually didn't take me long to get used to and I actually like it. I'm running it on setting 2 and that feels the most natural to me.

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
The more I use it the more it feels like the button actually moves and clicks. This new home button is a huge improvement over any of the previous.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I bought the 7 Plus for my wife a couple of days ago but am using it first to see how the phone is. Gotta say, I'm not liking the home button. I've tried all three settings and "1" is the one I'm most comfortable with. But I just don't like it. Doesn't feel like a press down at all instead of just feeling the engine literally shaking the phone. In other words, it doesn't feel as natural as the trackpad with force touch those Macbooks are. I'm very curious how Apple will do things when they remove the home button completely. Which I'm sure they will and there will be a bigger doodie-storm than the headphone jack removal.