Huge fail for the 7+

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Yup, but again, luck of the draw. Depends what time you ordered. And the option is always there to go wait in line at the store in hopes of getting lucky on launch day. Otherwise, November it is. It'll still be the same phone. Maybe even better, once the initial rounds of bugs are squashed.

The option to wait in line wasn't there if you wanted a 7 Plus.

All I'll say is, Apple probably should have done a better job at this. Release when they've got a higher stock of devices, maybe?

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Manufacturing these phones isn't a matter of just throwing money at the issue. I'm sure Apple eventually would love to perhaps actually manufacture most of the essential components themselves whenever and wherever, but it just doesn't make sense for them (yet). And ultimately money doesn't solve the fact that the suppliers they use may still fall short of expected yields for certain components. Trying to spend more money may not help or may not be enough to try to resolve that in time. If there aren't other manufacturers available to step in to make enough of what Apple needs at the quality that Apple needs, then what can Apple do about it? Manufacture it themselves? That's a whole another expense that Apple might not want to make because maybe it makes sense in the short term but not the long term.

Not to mention the amount of territories that Apple has to cover, including China.

In which case Apple should change their launch date to ensure that they are fully stocked on time. Because I guarantee you that when I was working, had I told my clients that I would be ready to provide x,
Y or z at a certain date and then said oops, it'll take a few more weeks, sorry, I'd have been out of a job years ago.

Jcblack3310

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
So much goddamn whining over a phone. Jesus. If - as people say - "It happens every year" like this, then the simple solution? Pre-order the night it begins, or live with the luck of the draw the day it hits stores. Or - GASP! - wait until supplies are replenished. Pretty easy math to me.

I'm not whinning. Definitely irritated because of Apples horrific job on launch days. I'll be patient and wait until stock is back in but this is just ridiculous for a company that claims to be the "best".

Posted via the iMore App for Android

stayawayfromthey

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
In which case Apple should change their launch date to ensure that they are fully stocked on time. Because I guarantee you hat when I was working, had I told my clients that I would be ready to provide x,
Y or z at a certain date and then said oops, it'll take a few more weeks, sorry, I'd have been out of a job years ago.

Yeah, but you're not Apple and you (probably) don't provide something that people treasure and use every single day! And they're the only ones who make the iPhone. If you're posting on iMore, you're probably using an iPhone and will continue to use an iPhone, regardless of whether it's out of stock at launch or not :p I'm sure people like you are willing to wait.

And I don't think it's a matter of just deciding to moving up their launch dates; if they did decide to do this with the 2017 iPhones, this would have been a decision made much earlier this year or even last year to coordinate all of their suppliers together and ensure that every component can be manufactured in sufficient quantities and would be available for whatever the new launch month.

Like... do people think Apple doesn't want to sell more iPhones? Though I guess one theory could be that they don't want to have the most impressive 2016 Q4 because they have so much supply that 2017 Q1-3 don't look as impressive (especially when you consider that their sales growth has slowed considerably).

tinybfk

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
So I checked on BestBuys website earlier and sometime after 10am it was showing in stock on a bunch, if not all iPhone 7 Plus models I looked at. I figured it was a mistake or glitch since BestBuy is notorious for that at times, at least in my experience. Anyways, I ordered and everything went through for my Black 128gb iPhone 7 plus. Figured I would end up getting an email saying it was backordered shortly after but to my surprise a couple hours later I got a shipping confirmation. Bad part is I didn't pay for faster shipping since I thought it would be backordered but it will be here middle of next week according to UPS.

PDXMatt

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
So much goddamn whining over a phone. Jesus. If - as people say - "It happens every year" like this, then the simple solution? Pre-order the night it begins, or live with the luck of the draw the day it hits stores. Or - GASP! - wait until supplies are replenished. Pretty easy math to me.
That's nice in theory, but I signed my EIP at 11:58pm before the official pre-order time of 12:01am. I was setting up the Jump process and low and behold the iPhones were listed. So I actually got on before the pre-order and my phone won't be here until next week at best.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
Clearly the OP has no idea how manufacturing works. Manufacturing doesn't start until summer. Maybe even mid-summer. There is only a finite amount of phones that lines can produce in a day, and this is assuming there is a high amount of solid yields. This year, quality yields were less than expected and manufacturing started later than normal. Then they have to make enough units to get to all the countries listed that would get them 9/16. Apple Stores by far get the most amount of phones, followed by retail partners. Oh and Houston/LA/NYC/Chicago is going to get more phones than Pensacola, FL. Retail partners have and always will get the short end of the stick. Why do you think Best Buy and other retailers are delaying shipments? Because Apple most likely pulled stock for their own stores and/or iPhone loyalty customers.

People are getting phones. I had several phones show up today at work that were iPhone 7 Plus models for users who pre-ordered. My manager walked into an AT&T store and walked out with two iPhone 7 Plus models. Apple doesn't give a crap about you? Go cry about it somewhere else. Suck it up, wait your turn or go get an Android device. There are several nice models out there. If the quality of your day is dictated on whether you get an iPhone on launch day or not, that's not the most ideal life.

Hey buddy, it's you who doesn't have a clue what your talking about. The OP is 100% correct. Who came up with the release schedule? Apple. Nobody forces them to launch on the 16th. This is first time i can remember a company that missed their own product launch. It's a joke. Tim Cook is awful and should be fired. What value add does he bring? He was the COO, and he can't figure out how to have product in his own stores for his own launch?

firstborn80

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
Hey buddy, it's you who doesn't have a clue what your talking about. The OP is 100% correct. Who came up with the release schedule? Apple. Nobody forces them to launch on the 16th. This is first time i can remember a company that missed their own product launch. It's a joke. Tim Cook is awful and should be fired. What value add does he bring? He was the COO, and he can't figure out how to have product in his own stores for his own launch?

Apple usually releases the phone about 10 days after announcement. Last year was different for whatever reason. Got a lot of complaints then too.

sunnysideup22125

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I suppose if it hadn't gotten what I wanted I'd consider this launch a fail but from my perspective each year gets better than the year before in terms of the ordering process. I think going into these launches certain things are too be expected like that the new color or memory size will be the most in demand and therefore seem like there is low inventory.

As someone that's been buying iPhones on launch day since the 3G sometimes all is well and I get exactly what I and sometimes I have to wait...wait has now become one of those 4 letter words.

For me the online ordering process was the easiest it's ever been. I remember when they 1st allowed preorders and the site wouldn't launch on time and I'd be up till 5 am trying to order a phone. This year I woke up at 2:59 opened the  store app, placed my order, and was back to sleep by 3:07. I did in store pickup and was in an out in under 10 minutes. However I remember the years when the carrier server was so overloaded that phones couldn't be purchased because they couldn't be activated.

So while I understand the disappointment in not getting what you want when you want it. I wouldn't characterize this as a fail it's impossible for everyone to get the exact phone they want on the day it launches. That being said if you are a little patient you will get exactly what you want.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
Apple usually releases the phone about 10 days after announcement. Last year was different for whatever reason. Got a lot of complaints then too.

There were no 7+'s in any stores anywhere. Not limited stock, NO PHONES. That's not a launch. It's not like last year at all.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
There were no 7+'s in any stores anywhere. Not limited stock, NO PHONES. That's not a launch. It's not like last year at all.

Online sales prior to launch exceeded expectations for the 7+ and there were just not enough to ship. Did the exploding Note have anything to do with it, who knows. Did they just not build enough? Who knows... did people who were promised phones yesterday get them.. most did. Yes, maybe they could have had more phone both online and in store. Did they underestimate 7+ and Jet Black 7 / 7+ Yep, you bet they did. -- Stuff happens!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Online sales prior to launch exceeded expectations for the 7+ and there were just not enough to ship. Did the exploding Note have anything to do with it, who knows. Did they just not build enough? Who knows... did people who were promised phones yesterday get them.. most did. Yes, maybe they could have had more phone both online and in store. Did they underestimate 7+ and Jet Black 7 / 7+ Yep, you bet they did. -- Stuff happens!

Yeah, but that "stuff happens" in some way every year though. They're always short something at launch.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
That's nice in theory, but I signed my EIP at 11:58pm before the official pre-order time of 12:01am. I was setting up the Jump process and low and behold the iPhones were listed. So I actually got on before the pre-order and my phone won't be here until next week at best.

What's wrong with next week? You'll have your new phone - next week. It'll still be a new phone. Patience grasshopper.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Probably because of color and or storage capacity model. It's coming!
3ca6af19fa06adc297c4c2244490fb8a.jpg

sjohnvivian

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
It would be great to think that Apple could have enough units ready for launch or could delay their launch date to accommodate, but the reality is they have to contend with many factors in making those decisions.

First of all, September is the end of their fiscal quarter. In order to deliver on their projections and attempt to minimize their YOY losses they have to continue to release their iPhones by the end of September.

October begins another fiscal quarter which relies generally on Macs, iPads and holiday sales for their iPhone. Shifting the iPhone would take away from their July quarter and their October quarter as well. Being a publicly traded company that has shareholders and investors, they unfortunately have to ensure that they deliver on their EPS estimates. Apple's business roadmap is set out well in advance of knowing whether or not their manufacturers can deliver solid yields or not.

It's unfortunate that these types of business implications and strategies have to impact the customer, but at the end of the day we are really complaining about whether or not we got a brand new device on launch day or whether we have to wait a bit. I still have a couple weeks to wait for you iPhone 7 Plus to arrive and I'm okay with that. I spend my time checking out cases and reading reviews and amplifying my excitement.

With that said, though, I get that there's got to be frustration of being told you're getting it on launch only for it to not happen. That does suck. But hopefully it won't be too much longer!

PDXMatt

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
What's wrong with next week? You'll have your new phone - next week. It'll still be a new phone. Patience grasshopper.
There's nothing wrong with that and what is can be blamed partially on T-Mobile. My delivery started at 9/15 - 9/16 and it promptly changed to 9/19 to 9/26.

PDXMatt

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
Probably because of color and or storage capacity model. It's coming!

Yes, I know. I ordered the black (I'm calling it Stealth Black because it sounds cooler) 128GB 7+

At the the time of order it wasn't known that the Stealth Black was so popular. I figured the Jet Black would be popular. I've never had an iPhone so I didn't realize new colours were so popular and at that time I was told to expect delivery on 9/15 - 9/16.

My point is, just because you pre-order doesn't mean you're getting a device on launch day. That was insinuated by another member here so I wanted to clarify that.

*edit* Even with my disappointment, I don't think it was a "huge fail"

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
My point is, just because you pre-order doesn't mean you're getting a device on launch day. That was insinuated by another member here so I wanted to clarify that.

No, you're right. But the chances are better than expecting to walk into the store on launch day and walk out with your model of choice. I mean, unless you are a sucker for high anxiety line-waiting, why anyone would do that is beyond me. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner