09-24-2016 02:31 PM
- So much goddamn whining over a phone. Jesus. If - as people say - "It happens every year" like this, then the simple solution? Pre-order the night it begins, or live with the luck of the draw the day it hits stores. Or - GASP! - wait until supplies are replenished. Pretty easy math to me.09-17-2016 12:07 AM
- Clearly the OP has no idea how manufacturing works. Manufacturing doesn't start until summer. Maybe even mid-summer. There is only a finite amount of phones that lines can produce in a day, and this is assuming there is a high amount of solid yields. This year, quality yields were less than expected and manufacturing started later than normal. Then they have to make enough units to get to all the countries listed that would get them 9/16. Apple Stores by far get the most amount of phones, followed by retail partners. Oh and Houston/LA/NYC/Chicago is going to get more phones than Pensacola, FL. Retail partners have and always will get the short end of the stick. Why do you think Best Buy and other retailers are delaying shipments? Because Apple most likely pulled stock for their own stores and/or iPhone loyalty customers.
People are getting phones. I had several phones show up today at work that were iPhone 7 Plus models for users who pre-ordered. My manager walked into an AT&T store and walked out with two iPhone 7 Plus models. Apple doesn't give a crap about you? Go cry about it somewhere else. Suck it up, wait your turn or go get an Android device. There are several nice models out there. If the quality of your day is dictated on whether you get an iPhone on launch day or not, that's not the most ideal life.
Posted via the iMore App for Android09-17-2016 01:44 AM
- Hey buddy, it's you who doesn't have a clue what your talking about. The OP is 100% correct. Who came up with the release schedule? Apple. Nobody forces them to launch on the 16th. This is first time i can remember a company that missed their own product launch. It's a joke. Tim Cook is awful and should be fired. What value add does he bring? He was the COO, and he can't figure out how to have product in his own stores for his own launch?
Posted via the iMore App for Android09-17-2016 02:01 AM
- I suppose if it hadn't gotten what I wanted I'd consider this launch a fail but from my perspective each year gets better than the year before in terms of the ordering process. I think going into these launches certain things are too be expected like that the new color or memory size will be the most in demand and therefore seem like there is low inventory.
As someone that's been buying iPhones on launch day since the 3G sometimes all is well and I get exactly what I and sometimes I have to wait...wait has now become one of those 4 letter words.
For me the online ordering process was the easiest it's ever been. I remember when they 1st allowed preorders and the site wouldn't launch on time and I'd be up till 5 am trying to order a phone. This year I woke up at 2:59 opened the store app, placed my order, and was back to sleep by 3:07. I did in store pickup and was in an out in under 10 minutes. However I remember the years when the carrier server was so overloaded that phones couldn't be purchased because they couldn't be activated.
So while I understand the disappointment in not getting what you want when you want it. I wouldn't characterize this as a fail it's impossible for everyone to get the exact phone they want on the day it launches. That being said if you are a little patient you will get exactly what you want.09-17-2016 02:34 AMLike 4
Posted via the iMore App for Android09-17-2016 05:15 AMLike 4
- 09-17-2016 05:18 AM
- Online sales prior to launch exceeded expectations for the 7+ and there were just not enough to ship. Did the exploding Note have anything to do with it, who knows. Did they just not build enough? Who knows... did people who were promised phones yesterday get them.. most did. Yes, maybe they could have had more phone both online and in store. Did they underestimate 7+ and Jet Black 7 / 7+ Yep, you bet they did. -- Stuff happens!09-17-2016 05:48 AM
- That's nice in theory, but I signed my EIP at 11:58pm before the official pre-order time of 12:01am. I was setting up the Jump process and low and behold the iPhones were listed. So I actually got on before the pre-order and my phone won't be here until next week at best.09-17-2016 06:05 AM
- That's nice in theory, but I signed my EIP at 11:58pm before the official pre-order time of 12:01am. I was setting up the Jump process and low and behold the iPhones were listed. So I actually got on before the pre-order and my phone won't be here until next week at best.09-17-2016 06:23 AM
- It would be great to think that Apple could have enough units ready for launch or could delay their launch date to accommodate, but the reality is they have to contend with many factors in making those decisions.
First of all, September is the end of their fiscal quarter. In order to deliver on their projections and attempt to minimize their YOY losses they have to continue to release their iPhones by the end of September.
October begins another fiscal quarter which relies generally on Macs, iPads and holiday sales for their iPhone. Shifting the iPhone would take away from their July quarter and their October quarter as well. Being a publicly traded company that has shareholders and investors, they unfortunately have to ensure that they deliver on their EPS estimates. Apple's business roadmap is set out well in advance of knowing whether or not their manufacturers can deliver solid yields or not.
It's unfortunate that these types of business implications and strategies have to impact the customer, but at the end of the day we are really complaining about whether or not we got a brand new device on launch day or whether we have to wait a bit. I still have a couple weeks to wait for you iPhone 7 Plus to arrive and I'm okay with that. I spend my time checking out cases and reading reviews and amplifying my excitement.
With that said, though, I get that there's got to be frustration of being told you're getting it on launch only for it to not happen. That does suck. But hopefully it won't be too much longer!09-17-2016 06:46 AM
- 09-17-2016 06:49 AM
At the the time of order it wasn't known that the Stealth Black was so popular. I figured the Jet Black would be popular. I've never had an iPhone so I didn't realize new colours were so popular and at that time I was told to expect delivery on 9/15 - 9/16.
My point is, just because you pre-order doesn't mean you're getting a device on launch day. That was insinuated by another member here so I wanted to clarify that.
*edit* Even with my disappointment, I don't think it was a "huge fail"09-17-2016 06:54 AM
- 09-17-2016 07:11 AM
- Online sales prior to launch exceeded expectations for the 7+ and there were just not enough to ship. Did the exploding Note have anything to do with it, who knows. Did they just not build enough? Who knows... did people who were promised phones yesterday get them.. most did. Yes, maybe they could have had more phone both online and in store. Did they underestimate 7+ and Jet Black 7 / 7+ Yep, you bet they did. -- Stuff happens!09-17-2016 07:31 AM
- Frankly the way I always seen it was why should people get up early to pre order a device weeks in advance have to wait for a device when people can just walk into a store and pick one up on release day. I always viewed it as all pre orders should be filled before anyone is allowed to purchase one in store. That's my opinion you may not agree and that's perfectly fine. We all have our own ideas.
As for the launch fail I don't believe it was a fail. Most carriers said they had more pre ordered than ever with this model. Apple couldn't have predicted it especially with so many people saying I won't upgrade. Not enough changes. Well I guess it looks like most everyone did upgrade.
I pre ordered right when they went live. I got up early. I'm still waiting. I'm ok with it. It's a phone. I'll live. It will come.
Every year there are a group who because they didn't get the phone they wanted complain it's a fail. And from a business stand pointe it is a huge success. They are selling tons of them. They aren't worried if a few thousand people are upset they couldn't get one launch day.09-17-2016 07:55 AM
- 09-17-2016 08:27 AM
- That's nice in theory, but I signed my EIP at 11:58pm before the official pre-order time of 12:01am. I was setting up the Jump process and low and behold the iPhones were listed. So I actually got on before the pre-order and my phone won't be here until next week at best.09-17-2016 08:36 AM
The iOS 10 update has plenty enough new goodies with it to keep my 6S Plus fresh enough to wait. No big hurry here to get the 7... might even wait it out for the 7S!09-17-2016 09:37 AM
- We all know that Apple sells a ton of phones every year on release day. Lets say they make 10 Million units to sell to start but only sell 3 Million in the 1st month. Apple is then sitting on 7 Million units for an entire month which in return is money they have sitting that's not making them money like the interest they receive from the bank.09-17-2016 09:52 AM
Maybe Apple needs to make sure those folks over at Foxconn work a bit harder and a little longer next time to get everyone the phone that they were "promised" on launch day.09-17-2016 09:56 AM
- My post was in reference to you saying they chose the 16th to launch and that maybe they should've waited. They always launch around the same time after the keynote. Last year they waited to launch and people complained that they took too long. Does that mean that's what happened this year, no? Who knows what happened?
Maybe Apple needs to make sure those folks over at Foxconn work a bit harder and a little longer next time to get everyone the phone that they were "promised" on launch day.09-17-2016 10:12 AM
- By Garneth in forum iPhone 7Replies: 60Last Post: 10-06-2016, 09:44 AM
- By jblank in forum Apple WatchReplies: 7Last Post: 09-29-2016, 10:25 AM
- By Guillin in forum iPhone SEReplies: 9Last Post: 09-17-2016, 02:16 PM
- By iMore Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 1Last Post: 09-16-2016, 01:47 PM
- By iMore Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 1Last Post: 09-16-2016, 01:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD