Will the 7 record video with stereo sound or are we still stuck with mono ?

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
To my knowledge the iPhone has been the only phone that still only records mono sound while shooting video, I've looked at the specs and everything else and see nothing addressing this.
Now that the 7 has stereo speakers will it also record video in stereo like most other phone do ?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Davyo

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hmmmm...other devices record in stereo? To me that sounds very gimmicky considering that, even if they put two microphones at opposite ends of the device, there's still only maybe 5" or 6" of space between them. How exactly would that produce true stereo sound? I could be way off here but I don't see how that would be advantageous.

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Hmmmm...other devices record in stereo? To me that sounds very gimmicky considering that, even if they put two microphones at opposite ends of the device, there's still only maybe 5" or 6" of space between them. How exactly would that produce true stereo sound? I could be way off here but I don't see how that would be advantageous.

All my Galaxy and Note phones record video with native stereo sound and produce a very nice separated stereo sound, the LG phones V10 and V20 also record natively in stereo and even go a step further in letting you set the EQ levels for the sound recorded with the camera for if your at a live music event and want to use a limiter or compression for the audio being recorded with the video.
Sony and many other phones also record in stereo.
Going on YouTube and giving a listen to many flagship phones would be a good way to hear the results.

Cheers
Davyo

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
All my Galaxy and Note phones record video with native stereo sound and produce a very nice separated stereo sound, the LG phones V10 and V20 also record natively in stereo and even go a step further in letting you set the EQ levels for the sound recorded with the camera for if your at a live music event and want to use a limiter or compression for the audio being recorded with the video.
Sony and many other phones also record in stereo.
Going on YouTube and giving a listen to many flagship phones would be a good way to hear the results.

Cheers
Davyo

Interesting! I'm amazed that you would pick up two distinguishable audio channels like that and I'll definitely have to check out YouTube for some samples. In regards to your original post, hopefully someone comes up with a better response than I did. :)

MonkeyJunky

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
It's really a shame honestly. The Lumia phones have been doing it (and doing it well) for some time, but the iPhone, as focused as it is on capturing moments via camera, is still not offering better audio recording without having to buy bulky and, at times, expensive accessories that have to be connected to the device while recording. I mean don't get me wrong, videos recorded on my iPhone have sounded fine for the purpose of showing off vacation videos and events on a whim, but honestly, it's still significantly behind in this arena than phones that have been on the market for years now which are using multiple point mics to capture some really great sound.

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
As the OP here is what I use with my iPhones, this Zoom iQ5 mic plugs into the lighting port and records AMAZING stereo sound, I've recorded live shows and concerts and the audio comes out like CD studio quality, for $69.00 it's well worth it.
When plugged into an iPhone it automatically becomes the default microphone.
(It works with iPads as well)
Cheers
Davyo
qq1p9k.jpg

263kfgz.jpg

antera77

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
@Rob Phillips "even if they put two microphones at opposite ends of the device, there's still only maybe 5" or 6" of space between them. How exactly would that produce true stereo?"

This is about the spacing between human microphones, i.e. ears, and humans can hear in stereo just fine. Rode iXY, Zoom iQ series, and Shure MV88 stereo mics have capsules separated by less than an inch, and have plenty of separation.

I'm guessing you're confusing the spacing stereo speakers need for a stereo effect, with the spacing stereo microphones need for capturing that effect.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711