iPhone upgrade program, trading in

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I have a 6S+ Verizon from last year's launch date on the Apple Upgrade Program.
I wanted a 7+ but could only find the 7. I have a late evening reservation. From what I understand, they will take my old device back and its value is used to "pay off" the remaining payments and a new loan agreement is started, I walk out with a new phone. In this case a 256GB 7 in black.

What happens if I don't like it and want to return it within the 14 day "remorse" period? Upon doing a return is the loan agreement nullified and that's it?

Alternatively I could sell the 6+ on Swappa and net more than what's owed which (minor inconveniences of selling aside) puts me at an advantage rather than a unity exchange as previously explained.

I do have a 7+ on order from Verizon but it's not supposed to get here before 10/5. (Which is past the return period of the 7 from release day).

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Presumably, you have checked to make sure that you are eligible for an upgrade in the program. https://secure2.store.apple.com/shop/eligibility/checkUpgradeEligibility

Then here are the steps. iPhone Upgrade Program - Apple

Scroll down until you see "Questions About Upgrading".
I’m already enrolled in the iPhone Upgrade Program. How do I upgrade my current iPhone?
You can upgrade at an Apple Store anytime after six months, as long as you’ve made the equivalent of at least 12 payments.

What do I need to upgrade my iPhone?
To reenroll in the iPhone Upgrade Program, you will need a valid U.S. credit card and your Social Security number for a credit check. You will also need two forms of identification, your wireless account password, and your current iPhone purchased through the iPhone Upgrade Program.

Remember to back up the data on your iPhone to your computer or iCloud.

Is another credit check required when I upgrade my iPhone?
Yes, you will need to provide a valid U.S. credit card and your Social Security number for a credit check when you upgrade.

Here are the Terms and Conditions. iPhone Upgrade Program Terms and Conditions

Termination of Original Installment Loan After Exercising Upgrade Option. Upon successfully exercising your Upgrade Option, entering into a New Installment Loan, and completing your First Installment Payment on your New Installment Loan with Bank as outlined above, Apple will pay any remaining balance due under your original Installment Loan on your behalf to the Bank, and Bank will consider your original Installment Loan to be paid in full. Subsequent monthly payments will be made under the terms of your New Installment Loan, subject to the conditions of “Return of New, Upgraded iPhone After Exercising Upgrade Option,” as set forth below.

Prompt Return of Financed iPhone. If you exercise your Upgrade Option and do not return your original Financed iPhone as directed by Apple within 14 days, your original Installment Loan will be reinstated and you will be responsible for any missed and/or remaining installment payments, as well as any installment payments under your New Installment Loan.

And here's some iMore information about it. iPhone Upgrade Program FAQ: Everything you need to know | iMore

And here's Apple's return policy. Returns & Refunds - Shopping Help - Apple

Yes, there's a 14 day return period. And if you return the new device, your financial obligation will cease. Note that you will not get your old phone back if you have already turned it in.

sx4dude2013

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I wanted a 7+ but could only find the 7. I have a late evening reservation. From what I understand, they will take my old device back and its value is used to "pay off" the remaining payments and a new loan agreement is started, I walk out with a new phone. In this case a 256GB 7 in black.

What happens if I don't like it and want to return it within the 14 day "remorse" period? Upon doing a return is the loan agreement nullified and that's it?

Alternatively I could sell the 6+ on Swappa and net more than what's owed which (minor inconveniences of selling aside) puts me at an advantage rather than a unity exchange as previously explained.

I do have a 7+ on order from Verizon but it's not supposed to get here before 10/5. (Which is past the return period of the 7 from release day).

My advise is to be patient and get what you want. My 7+ said it would ship til 9/23 and it shipped today. Your 7+ might come sooner if you're lucky. I would wait it out and sell your current plus on Swappa or eBay.

Shawn0813

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site

I had the same question. I am really on the fence about the iPhone 7 Plus. I had a note 7 but with the whole recall I returned it for money back. I really would love to stay with android but I can't find the right phone.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Have you taken a look at the free iPhone promos? I was going to trade my grandma up from iPhone 6 64gb and give her the 32 gb iPhone 7. The promo is that they will give payment credits for 2 years until the phone is paid off. You could always go for a larger capacity and they will give $650 for your trade of any iPhone 6 and newer.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Yes the first thing I checked is eligibility. Credit's fine. However back in July my 6S+ just up and quit. Could not do anything at Apple store. Did an advanced exchange where they put a hold on my CC for the full price of the phone plus taxes ($1050!) and overnighted my replacement. Put the original phone in the prepaid box and handed to the fedex man. So I have a brand new 6S+ with the plastic still on it sitting here. IMEI is different but checks out fine on the eligibility check. I would have reserved a 6S+ in black (128 or 256) but none were available within 350 miles.

And mind you, this was about 11 minutes after the preorder sites officially became available.

Funny how the rose gold was a hit last year and those are plentiful now. Everyone wants the black. And I cannot blame them one bit after seeing it! Jet black looks nice but I have suspicion about how long it will keep that appearance. I would be fine with silver too IF it had a black bezel around the screen. Can't deal with that. And I hate screen protectors so a blackout type tempered glass isn't going to work.

I had the same question. I am really on the fence about the iPhone 7 Plus. I had a note 7 but with the whole recall I returned it for money back. I really would love to stay with android but I can't find the right phone.

The Note 7 (aside from the unstable battery issue) is just about the perfect Android phone currently. Feels great in hand, screen is beautiful, camera is very good. I'm sorry I had to return mine. Not worth the risk of a fire. No gadget is.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I keep seeing how a lot of people weren't able to preorder a 7 or 7 plus for launch day. I personally wasn't really planning on upgrading yet but I just so happened to look on Verizon wireless on Friday mid day. I took my time and looked around and decided on an iPhone 7 matte black 256gb. Was that the preorder day? I didn't even know it. Just kinda stumbled onto it and got lucky I guess.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I keep seeing how a lot of people weren't able to preorder a 7 or 7 plus for launch day. I personally wasn't really planning on upgrading yet but I just so happened to look on Verizon wireless on Friday mid day. I took my time and looked around and decided on an iPhone 7 matte black 256gb. Was that the preorder day? I didn't even know it. Just kinda stumbled onto it and got lucky I guess.

Yes, Friday the 9th... the smaller sizes like 32GB and then 128GB went fast. The 256GB lingered for a bit.. I think a lot of people had "phones in their cart" and when they did not actually "buy" they dropped back into inventory. People were on the fence about the extra $100 and then extra hundred.. so it put some 256GB pack in the pool. Yes, quite lucky. :)

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
One other thing...Apple Care. On the original agreement, the price includes two years of Apple Care+. If you trade your phone in do you forfeit that second year or does 50% of that go to a new 2 year AC+ on the new device?

I may have to think about this as a mint/new condition 128GB 6S+ with 1 year left on AC+ is worth considerably more than the payoff.
I may just buy the 7 tomorrow outright and head over to Swappa. (or will it be Swampa?! haha)

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
One other thing...Apple Care. On the original agreement, the price includes two years of Apple Care+. If you trade your phone in do you forfeit that second year or does 50% of that go to a new 2 year AC+ on the new device?
You are paying monthly, right? You didn't have to pay for the whole Apple Care+ cost upfront, right?

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Well technically you are paying up front just using someone else' money for 24 months. (interest free as well!)
But if they take the phone in good condition and pay it off I suppose no loss there.
That's another thing. Is the phone evaluation done on the spot or is it TBD later and Apple will notify you if must use an Apple Care incident? A crack in the screen is obvious but some other things may not be.

I like the program but I wish it could be done on line, they ship the phone and you return the old one in a box. They can put a hold on my CC, I wouldn't care. They do with advanced (cross shipped) in warranty replacements. People frown at the hold but it's a credit card so why the problem?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro