Anticipating delivery of an iPhone 7 Plus, I am looking into the question of whether I should perform a new setup and reinstall everything from scratch or restore a backup. The debate is rather old and there are ardent advocates of both alternatives. Since reinstalling everything is very time consuming, I am considering a middle-ground option which is described in the following steps.

1. Install iOS 10.0.1 on the iPhone 6s Plus.
    2. "Reset All Settings" on the iPhone 6s Plus.
    3. Perform an encrypted backup of the iPhone 6s Plus with iTunes.
    4. Setup and activate the iPhone 7 Plus.
    5. Restore the encrypted iTunes backup on the iPhone 7 Plus.

The intended objective is to maximize the health of the system without having to endure the process of reinstalling 179 apps. The reasoning behind step 2 is not to carry unto the backup settings of the older hardware that might potentially cause issues with the new hardware.

All comments are welcome but I have a particular question. With a view towards maximizing system health and minimizing potential issues, is it better to choose Restore from iTunes Backup during the initial setup process or select Set Up as New iPhone and then restore the encrypted iTunes backup?

Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by netnative; 09-12-2016 at 12:53 PM.
    09-12-2016 10:15 AM
    I know many here will disagree, but I no longer try to set up from a back up, I have issues every time.
    I do back up my old devices at every switch, just in case, but I now always set up as a new device and it goes smoothly.
    09-12-2016 10:21 AM
    I will from an encrypted backup of my iPhone 6. I don't want to lose my health data.
    09-12-2016 10:24 AM
    Not sure if this really does anything, but I "Restore from iCloud Backup" and then "Update" a fresh firmware from iTunes.
    09-12-2016 10:36 AM
    I will from an encrypted backup of my iPhone 6. I don't want to lose my health data.
    Health data is backed up to iCloud... https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12519...ewlocale=en_US
    BenitoC likes this.
    09-12-2016 10:39 AM
    I usually setup my new iPhone as new. I don't know what difference it makes other than it takes less time for me to do it, but this time I will be restoring from an encrypted backup so that I can get my health and activity data.
    09-12-2016 10:45 AM
    I'm about half and half. I am lazy so I probably will try to restore from backup first. If things get flaky, I will restore as new.
    09-12-2016 10:53 AM
    The only thing that is frustrating is for some reason no matter how often I delete contacts even in Icloud I always end up with 3-5 of the same contact with the same information in my contacts list if I restore from a back up... Really weird.
    TLD1 likes this.
    09-12-2016 10:55 AM
    Health data is backed up to iCloud... https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12519...ewlocale=en_US
    Interesting, last year when I updated my iPhone 6 to iOS 9 I lost my previous years worth of health data because my back-up was encrypted. Thus I assumed that I would lose my health data if I didn't set up from a backup.
    09-12-2016 10:57 AM
    So what are the steps if you are going to do "Restore from Backup"? Do you have to be hooked up to a PC or can you do this strictly on the phone? I always get this confused so just wanting some steps to go by.

TIA!
    09-12-2016 12:25 PM
    I usually just restore an encrypted backup from iTunes. If I start to see issues, then I'll do a restore as new.
    09-12-2016 12:31 PM
    So what are the steps if you are going to do "Restore from Backup"? Do you have to be hooked up to a PC or can you do this strictly on the phone? I always get this confused so just wanting some steps to go by.

TIA!
    It depends on how you backup your phone. It'll ask if you want to use a backup from iCloud or iTunes. If using iTunes, you'll have to plug into your PC and restore from backup there. If using iCloud, you just wait for it to finish.
    09-12-2016 12:54 PM
    It depends on how you backup your phone. It'll ask if you want to use a backup from iCloud or iTunes. If using iTunes, you'll have to plug into your PC and restore from backup there. If using iCloud, you just wait for it to finish.
    So i update to the latest iOS, then take a backup. Once backup is taken, switch SIM card to new phone and "restore from backup"? i normally take a backup via iCloud. Is this correct? What about my music?
    09-12-2016 01:14 PM
    So i update to the latest iOS, then take a backup. Once backup is taken, switch SIM card to new phone and "restore from backup"? i normally take a backup via iCloud. Is this correct? What about my music?
    Yes, update and do a backup. You can do the backup via iCloud or iTunes. When you get your new phone, the OS will already be updated. During the setup, it will ask if you want to restore from an iCloud backup, iTunes backup, or setup as new. Make your selection then. Certain things like contacts, music and settings are automatically backed up. If you setup as new, you will have to install your apps, passwords, etc over again but not your contacts, etc. if you have any trouble with your music (I have before) just go into iTunes and sync it.
    09-12-2016 01:52 PM
    I usually just restore an encrypted backup from iTunes. If I start to see issues, then I'll do a restore as new.
    100% agree... I can't deal with the hassle of having to set up email and apps again from scratch, create new folders, reenter passwords, 3rd party apps, everything I have just the way I want it. However if things go sideways I have no choice. But let's hope for a good back up / restore.
    09-12-2016 02:30 PM
    I always set up as new. I can do it and have my phone up and running within a half hour. I always recommend to others to do the same. It always turns out better in the long run.
    09-12-2016 10:53 PM
    I'll likely set up as new on Friday but rarely do so outside of getting a brand new device.
    09-12-2016 10:58 PM
    Restored from my 6S Plus backup and haven't run into any issues, runs great as usual
    09-13-2016 08:02 AM
    Whether you go with restore or new, is it as simple as popping in an existing SIM card from a 6s and then picking one or the other?

I've got a 7 plus coming from ATT and have an existing 6s Plus. I'm assuming I can just pop out my 6s Plus SIM card and insert into the 7 plus, then set it up either new or restore. Then continue down the family of iphones replacing my wife's 6 with my now old 6s Plus, again by swapping SIM cards. And finally down to a child's old 5 which I'm pretty sure has the same size SIM card.

Is it that simple?
    09-13-2016 08:47 AM